Commercial Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crayon physics deluxe
www.crayonphysics.com
simple using the tacticale screen of the Pandora

We need a game using the Pandora controls like toutch screen or analog pad

ID aren't very likely to port games themselves, they get other studious to do it for them. So if you want them to port a game, it's going to cost a whole lot of money. It costs $250,000 alone for a non-GPL license of the ID Tech 4 engine! ID Tech 3 is a much cheaper $10,000 though, and can easily be brought up to ID Tech 4 standards with the stuff people have done to the GPL version :)

Valve probably don't even offer an option for licensing the Gold Source (Half-Life 1) engine, let alone game. And they seem to port the Source engine themselves to other platforms (minus the PS3, EA did that port).
Would be nice though. But don't expect all the mods to work on Pandora, they would need to be recompiled for ARM too. So no Counter-Strike, I'm afraid!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol,

those games that got ported including FIFA 2005 is available on the ps1, this is the first game im planning on playing

also world of goo, it seems the devs are interested enough, lets not waste are money

worms, there opensource verions, and there psx

i personally prefer a fps, all the open source one that will be coming will just be quake remodelled, i dont particularly like quake

and none of the open source ones will be able to get as good gameplay as in retail, including online etc

anyway, i would prefer keeping it in the community,

also crayon physics, its totally sh*t
im surprised no-ones mentioned, cod4, or halo or LBP :)

i would like Crash Commando, although a good dev could easily clone it
or even better a game like mario strikers or NHL 3 on 3 Arcade
or the ultimate one would have to be a GAA Hurling game (i just aint gonna happen, is it)

whatever game it is, it needs online

ALSO anyone worried why craig is looking at console liquidation details :)

I'd have agreed with geometry wars, but alas bizarre creations is owned by Activision.

'craigix' said:
I'd have agreed with geometry wars, but alas bizarre creations is owned by Activision.
Why not make a high-res Vektar port? You already licensed some great music for it, and it was a lot of fun to play. Or do you think that would enrage Activision if they`d ever want to develop for Pandora?

+100 to Half Life - would be a real coup (if possible that Black Mesa that someone posted on the boards a while back but that's probably wishful thinking and I think its a good bit away from completion).

I'm not so sure on the Acclaim titles myself - I worked there during the Revolt/Vanishing Point/Fur Fighters period and to be frank they were good games but not great and not system sellers - as their performance at retail demonstrated at the time they all underperformed and Fur Fighters morphed into a cell shaded version supported by some great advertising artwork which actually had little to do with the gameplay.

Also I discovered a while ago, another company had bought the Acclaim name and was using it to brand their MMO - not sure how it would affect rights for the games but it might complicate things...I guess the original Turok might be cool...

'Alex.' said:
'craigix' said:
Why not make a high-res Vektar port? You already licensed some great music for it, and it was a lot of fun to play. Or do you think that would enrage Activision if they`d ever want to develop for Pandora?

or just wait for the countless open-source ports ;)
geometry wars is to easily cloned

im all for half-life, but only if theres online

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned, say, GamePark's Capcom stuff. :p

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what I make of the whole commercial games thing. It'd be nice, depending on whether the games were of interest, I suppose. :p But on the other hand, I also like the idea of money going towards unique ideas that leverage the system well. I guess I'm firmly in the "undecided" camp right now. :p

Half-Life is always a good decission. But it should have MOD support like the PC Version has. I often used the "Jumbot" or "realbot" mods to play the online Modes Offline (inclussive TFC :lol: ) pretty much fun if you spend some time for perfect waypoints like I did. Single Player HL of course is still better and the "Opposite Force" or "Blue Shift" add-ons would be also a good choice.

However, I would throw "DIABLO 2" in the room here... ;)
I've never played it with the latest Patch, AFAIK this patch changed many things in balance so a up-to-date-port of Diablo 2 for the Pandora would be the burner. It's the game I most played through (because you usualy play every of the 3 difficult levels with one character) and I always could play it again and again... :)
...yes, I know that Blizzard never would make a Linux port (because they never did) or more important an ARM Linux Port but we can dream right?

Well, I can imagine WORMS 3D for Pandora because there is not such a game for Linux unlike 2D Worms-Clones that we can have for free.

Settlers, Anno, Age of Empires, Sim City 2000 maybe but I still hope for a Open Source Remake of SC2000.

Battlefield 1942 sounds good but it needs an overhaul to work good with Pandora controls...and the Bots in this game are completely useless. (Some people like me want to play offline sometimes ;) )

After Reading all the post and seeing some personal favorites so I vote for:

Half Life
Forsaken
Unreal
Need for Speed
Prince of Persia

I know some are impossible but hey... some not...

Grtz
Sigma

I would seriously consider to pour money in giving "dev" env's/free pandora's to test to people who are willing to port a title then to pay "big" titles. IMHO every "medium" developer should deserve as much support as possible. World Of Goo for example comes in as a "top title" - I would aim lower (speaking in terms of market share - no quality rating implied).

While a "big title" might be considered a "killer app" if you want to go "best buy" I think for the pandora's market it's not really needed (may be good for people, however not enough ROI)

This is a bit unrealistic, I realize, but I would LOVE to have a port of the GP32 game "Blue Angelo". It was a truly great game (with a few bugs) that didn't get the attention it deserved because of its niche platform, high price, and inaccessible release format.

CODE
http://www.shibuya-interactive.com/g2.html

I'm not sure who owns the rights for it, but it was made by someone named Adriano Baglio.

Otherwise, I agree with the "release Dreamcast games" suggestion.

Guys, those asking for Half-Life purely for the mods are going to be disappointed. I already posted that mods have to be compiled for ARM too, so any non-active mods that aren't open source have no chance of working on Pandora (like Counter-Strike).

Here's why: Mods are compiled into dynamic libraries (.dll files) which work only on x86 processors. Hence why they won't work on the Pandora.

If not Geometry Wars then what about a clone? There's plenty of similar indy games to choose from:CODE
http://indygamer.blogspot.com/2006/08/geometry-wars-clones.html

Veck 2 would have been the obvious choice, but unfortunately the developer has disappeared off the face of the Internet <_<
Other suggestions would be Neon Wars or Bullet Candy.

Shadow of the Colossus....

I simply said the first title that came to my mind....

Really... World of Goo

P.S: I think that if we want to get a port of a commercial game we have to ask for it to an indipendent software house... They're always more friendly...

Deus Ex (1 )... And its already OpenGl supported :)
Half-Life or Black Mesa ( HL2 mod - The Pandora has the power to run it ).

I always had a dream of playing Phantasy Star Online on a portable. I also loved PSO: 3 (the card game version). There is a PC version of PSO (Blue Burst I think?) so it's possible, I don't know about probable though. Sega or someone would have to do a linux convert.

As far as what other people have mentioned I'd be happy with a version of Worms to play on the go.

System Shock 2
Bioshock
Fallout 3
Left 4 Dead

EDIT: "why?".
A killer app makes a big difference. A very good game is a killer app for a gaming console. So I'm listing above my personal hits from recent years. I didn't play half-life though. So I don't know about it.

'cosurgi' said:
System Shock 2
Bioshock
Fallout 3
Left 4 Dead
EDIT: "why?".
A killer app makes a big difference. A very good game is a killer app for a gaming console. So I'm listing above my personal hits from recent years. I didn't play half-life though. So I don't know about it.

You don't play Half-Life? :eek:

'DasFool' said:
I always had a dream of playing Phantasy Star Online on a portable. I also loved PSO: 3 (the card game version). There is a PC version of PSO (Blue Burst I think?) so it's possible, I don't know about probable though. Sega or someone would have to do a linux convert.

As far as what other people have mentioned I'd be happy with a version of Worms to play on the go.
PSO Portable (PSP) has been available for many months in Japan, and the english US release is in April IIRC. Your dream's already come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back