Clonk Planet 0.2 - Stable Release

Daid: First of all thanks for bringing this superb game to us! Now for the bad news - working through the tutorial file you posted a while back scenario 1 to 3 are OK but 4 & 5 fail for me. It shows the usual 'file loading' text and then stops with a 'File not found' message before dropping back into the main menu.

I've not tried the other tutorial levels yet - been practicing on Goldmine instead!

Keep up the good work.

I am really looking forward to the next release. I hope you can figure out how to solve that collision detection bug, if it makes the game run smoother.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 13 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
I am really looking forward to the next release. I hope you can figure out how to solve that collision detection bug, if it makes the game run smoother.
It's not a bug, but a possible optimalization.

Far from main priority at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah okay, I get it. I assume it has something to do with repeated collision detection because the objects in the ground are colliding with their surroundings infinately?

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 13 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
Ah okay, I get it. I assume it has something to do with repeated collision detection because the objects in the ground are colliding with their surroundings infinately?
No I think every object gets checked againt every other object in the game. And thus the amount of collision checks done grow exponential with the number of objects in the game.

EDIT:
Clonk.JPG

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks great , I overlooked it.

Just one thing that confuses me is the clonk website it is a shareware game. Is this a re-write for the gp2x or is the code available for it....not that I want it, wouldnt have a clue, just more worried about the 'free' aspect?

well clonk planet was shareware back in the day. But now they have released a follow up game which is called clonk endeavor... sort of an improved engine featuring more objects, physics and opneGL/ Direct3d support. So they released the code for clonk planet and made it free. The devs already know about this project and seem to be glad somebody is porting this to the gp2x.

you`re welcome. But if you want to do the devs some good, go register a copy of clonk endeavor. It`s not very expensive and it is worth every cent you spent on it... awesome game! And you can feel less immoral playing clonk planet on your gp2x ;-)

Perhaps LibJudy can be creatively utilized to make optimized collision-detection work favourably ..

what is that library? Oh wait, I`ll look it up myself ;-)

yeah I think I get it now. But I am not sure if Daid can actually make use of that or if it would be too much to implement into the engine...

Daid, with my little files browser I've seen clonk4.log has been created in the root of the NAND ;)
(/Clonk4.log)
Perhaps is it better and more easy to read if you write it on the sd ?
:)

Did you pick the 0.2? I just noticed there is also one in the archives. That might be slightly older (as I updated my download with 20 minutes of the first post of this topic to solve that nand writing...)

Anyhow, version 0.9 will come soon to solve many of the current issues ;)

Clonk.JPG

Added tabs to the frontend, makes it much nicer.

Oh, and why 0.9 and not 1.0?
Well, these options will not be around in 0.9:
-Scenario editor
-Simulated mouse control
-Better customized GFX

hehe I see, I need to start making some graphics for the frontend... have you implemented my new menu gfx? The ones with the SD cards instead of the floppies? It`s not very important but it would be funny...

just play the windows version if you want the tutorials to work perfectly. The first three should actually work flawlessly but there seems to be a problem with the frontend of 0.2... 0.9 will have all these errors fixed.

Back