Clonk Planet 0.2 - Stable Release

Daid

Website
Visit site
Clonk.JPG
Ok people. This one is stable, atleast, as far as I can tell.

For those who only jump in now:
Read about Clonk here: http://www.clonk.de/contents_en.html
Short description:
Clonk is an entertaining action-packed game of strategy, tactics, and skill. It can be played by a single player, with up to four players on one computer, or even more players in local area networks or by internet.
[cut]
Run-time generated or predefined two-dimensional landscapes feature everything from hills, mountains, lakes, deserts, arctic wastelands to volcanic rocks, islands floating in mid-air or suboceanic terrain. This guarantees a neverending variety of scenarios.

Experience changing weather conditions with rain, snow, thunderstorms, as well as tectonics and hectic animal activity.

Build new structures using materials you have created in complex production chains. Extend your base and prepare for battle by developing new weapons and tactics.

There is an almost unlimited number of options to customize the game. Experienced players can create their own scenarios and set individual game goals to create new mission objectives.

This is the fully working port, as 0.1 was unstable and crashed after a few minutes. The speed should be alot faster. The frontend also allows more options. For the full changelog see the readme.

You can download version 0.2 here: http://daid.mine.nu/pub/Clonk2X.rar (0.1 users, remove old folder first as it contains obsolite data)

NOTE: KnightBuild.c4s is a map that is playable with the Knights object pack enabled, but you need to disable sound then as sounds use up to much memory for the rest of the pack to load.[/cut]

this game is really fun! it's kinda like a sidescrolling digging warcraft...I checked out the PC version to see if it was any good when hearing about this GP2x port, and I liked it, but it's a little hard to get the hang of.

I'm going to test this tonight, I'll try to let you know of any bugs I come across. thanks! :)

Woohoo!!! This is so awesome... okay, I guess I won`t sleep tonight. I feel like on christmas and my birthday at the same time.

Hmm... I can`t start the goldmine and the economy missions from the easy pack. Weird, only the splash screen shows up and then nothing happens, the log isn`t even shown.

Been watching this one - waiting for a stable release before I try it.
Sounds good but strange gameplay bythe sounds of it?!
Anyway, looks really interesting :) Will give it a go :)

The gameplay is really strange, but believe me, it is horribly addictive. Even the controls are weird but they need to be the way they are, otherwise it wouldn`t be fun. I think the game works fine now, you can safely try it. Only thing I noticed is that apparently the scenarios in the easy.c4f don`t load for me.

EDIT: Okay, wth? The afore mentioned levels work now. I will try to reproduce the crash and report back... weird.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:27 AM said:
The gameplay is really strange, but believe me, it is horribly addictive. Even the controls are weird but they need to be the way they are, otherwise it wouldn`t be fun..
Sounds intriguing! Looks a bit like lemmings to me :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously, if you want to get addicted, download NOW! Best. Game. Ever!!!
Well, I wasn`t able to reproduce the crash. I wonder why. Maybe some memory related thing, something got trampled that shouldn`t have?

I have changed the menu graphics for clonk so that the save buttons show an SD cards instead of the old floppy disk...
menu.png

Tried it already, the icons fit perfectly. If you don`t wanna mess with the graphics.c4g then just add it to the one you put your own icons in already.

I downloaded this release this morning. I experience similar problems as xnopasaranx described. The only difference is that I can't run any of the tutorial levels. This really makes me crazy because I *really* need to play through the tutorial levels to learn the game basics...
Wonder why it freezes on the splash screen...

It suddenly worked for me. Try again after switching your gp2x off. Maybe you are lucky and it will work. It`s weird.

ZeroFusion posted on Sep 6 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
I downloaded this release this morning. I experience similar problems as xnopasaranx described. The only difference is that I can't run any of the tutorial levels.
Same here, stupid that I didn't test that...

This really makes me crazy because I *really* need to play through the tutorial levels to learn the game basics...
Start the windows version?
Else try this one:
http://daid.mine.nu/pub/Keyboard.c4f
Maybe it cannot look deep into multiple levels of c4f for some reason.

Wonder why it freezes on the splash screen...
So do I... it should always crash back to the frontend...

Found another memory 'hog', the sounds are quite large, as they get converted to 44khz, 16bit stereo samples. If I reduce that to 11khz 8bit mono samples I can load Castle Dunkelfels (runs pretty slow then, and the earth texture trampled over the soundbuffer, so I got a black line trough my level that turned green when sounds happend) And the sounds sound kinda shitty then...

lol... now that`s what I call psychedelic. But it is a generally good idea to convert the sound samples. Isn`t there any way that we can unload some of the memory load to the SD card or something? Does it all have to be in the RAM? There must be some way to get even larger levels working, NeoGeo seems way more memory intensive and it works easily (well not easily but it works well).

Can you quit now, rebooting after each tutorial is getting a little tedious.

Is it any faster? Most of the time, 0.1 ran fine, but when a landslide happened it really slowed down.

you can quit now. You have to win or choose "give up" in the menu. And it seems to be a lot faster now, too. I don`t know if that goes for landslides though. Guess it will still slow down a bit.

Aninhumer posted on Sep 6 2006 at 05:14 PM said:
Can you quit now, rebooting after each tutorial is getting a little tedious.

Yes, after the Game Over, the game goes back to the frontend.

Is it any faster? Most of the time, 0.1 ran fine, but when a landslide happened it really slowed down.

IMHO it's way faster than before! Mainly, the delaying "command" that caused game to lag every now and then, has been removed.

Daid posted on Sep 6 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
Start the windows version?
Yes, it could do the thing, but the controls are a bit different and I just love your releases :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, this file helped me. Now I can run the tutorial levels.

Maybe it cannot look deep into multiple levels of c4f for some reason.
That seems to be the problem. Unfortunately, I can't be of any assistance to you in this matter :(

In early clonk versions, the game always unpacked c4f files at runtime into a temporary directory. Maybe you could do that, too? That might fix the problem.

It is faster in some points (like drawing rotated sprites), but landslides (aka, earthquakes) and vulcanos seem like very intensive actions and are simply slow because the need to do so much stuff.

Unloading stuff to the SD card is not done. The sounds where unloaded in the first version, that caused the 'hangs' now and then. SD card access is pretty slow.

EDIT: Quick testing shows that the code spends about 50% of the time in drawing, that's alot for such simple GFX. I see where my next optimalisation is :)
EDIT: Frameskip 1, whow. Fullspeed.
EDIT: double based square roots, one for every object every draw cycle. Me smash!
EDIT again: Got saving working in my test version now.

nice, it sounds like you're going to continue working on this further! I didn't notice any crashes out of the 3 games i played on it last night, everything ran great except for a little slowdown here and there, but it was still perfectly playable! You seem to be supercharging it now anyway!

I can't wait until I finally get the hang of this. I spent about 2 hours playing this last night between the windows & gp2x port :)
Too bad I keep blowing myself up with the flintstone :D

Back