Clonk Planet 0.2 - Stable Release

Just have to post that this game rocks!
I also couldnt play the tutorials untill i downloaded the link you added but it worked first time after that.
im still working through the tutorials but i can see im going to spend alot of time on this game.

thanks daid!

See, this is a killer app for the gp2x. I used to play this game with my little brother and my cousin on one pc back in the day... SPLITSCREEN ACTION FTW!!! Woot. It`s just amazing how an actually quite little and non spectacular game can be so addicting. I can`t get away from it since I started clonking like 5 years ago.

I'm having some major issues with the control scheme...

-whenever I walk, it keeps going until I press down
-whenever I dig, it keeps digging like crazy until I press down and I usually get stuck
-I can chop a tree down, but I can't pick it up
-I can't figure out how to buy anything when I'm inside my hut
-I can't figure out how to build anything

maybe you can implement mouse control, too...I think I'd rather control a pointer, if that'd be easier to implement.

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 8 2006 at 11:12 AM said:
-whenever I walk, it keeps going until I press down
This was already discussed here. It's not a bug, it's a feature of the game (same as in PC Clonks, if I got it right)

-whenever I dig, it keeps digging like crazy until I press down and I usually get stuck
Same case as above.

-I can chop a tree down, but I can't pick it up
-I can't figure out how to buy anything when I'm inside my hut
-I can't figure out how to build anything
Can't help you there, I haven't finished the tutorial levels yet (I had not much time; as far as now I have finished only the first two tutorial levels)

maybe you can implement mouse control, too...I think I'd rather control a pointer, if that'd be easier to implement.
I find the controls to be fine just as they are now. Controlling Clonks using "mouse" cursor without having mouse would be IMHO very clumsy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The controls are getting a bit used to, but when you have it's very easy to control.

Mouse control sucks, Clonk (windows version) has mouse control but when you play a 4 player game, the one with the mouse will lose. You simply miss the fine touch.

Also changing the controlls to push&hold is pretty much impossible, because the game mechanics depent on it the current way.

You can grab stuff with double down (like trees, lories, boats, cannons). In a hut, press up for a buy menu, or dig for a sell menu, then in menus use 'throw' to select stuff and 'dig' to exit the menu.

(This is all explained in the tutorials, I recommend playing atleast the first few)

you got to get used to the controls. When you do, you will quickly realize, that they are just fine the way they are. The clonks keeping on moving until you stop them makes sense when you need to control several clonks at a time. This is extremely import and if you master the technique, you can do sort of a multitasking with a lot of clonks at the same time.

Also, all the menus work the same. "Throw" is the accept key, "Dig" is the one that cancels or gets you out of menus. You also control a lift by pressing double down, and then use the dig key twice to make the lift dig a tunnel. You can then go up and down the tunnel with the movement keys. When you grab something with double down, you need to press double down again to let go, goes for the lift, too.

thanks everyone for the button configurations :)

i actually like picking a place to dig to in the windows version with the mouse. You just click a place and he digs there using the best path. I couldn't play the tutorial levels for the keyboard on my laptop because I have no real numerical keypad. I did play the mouse tutorials though and found it pretty intuitive. I didn't bother playing any of the tutorials on the 2x yet, but maybe I'll give it a try.

what happens to me is that I start digging then i end up too far down to get myself out of the hole because it just doesn't stop fast enough. Then the only way out is to surrender or turn off the gp2x. :( Also, I can't seem to dig diagonally upwards hardly ever, I'm not sure why. But those are really really annoying 'features'

I'll give it another try, but it's a shame that the control has to be so hard to get used to...on a real keyboard i'm sure it's more intuitive, but the gp2x stick just doesn't have the precise feel of a keyboard button, I guess.

anyways, it's a good port of an interesting game, i wasn't trashing daid or clonk at all.

Daid - do you think you can update the readme with the rest of the controls for the next release...for everyone else now?
Also, does that mean that you will never implement mouse control even as an option? I just can't believe I'm the only one that likes it. It's coded in there already, it wouldn't be too hard to implement... maybe a way to switch between keyboard and mouse control on the fly?

Updates done for the next release are:
-Frameskip option
-ALOT more speed because of the hardware blitter, and the LCD actualy in 8bit mode (right now SDL thinks it's funny to convert everything to 16bit when it drawn)
-Frontend shows actual names, not filenames
-Some minor fixes

Ideas/pending changes:
-Basic Scenario editor in the frontend
-Showing of descriptions in the frontend
-Always show the surrender option (or atleast always give a way to quit)
-Mouse control (not sure about this one)
-Fixing the loading of the deep level tutorial levels...

Eso Rimmer posted on Sep 9 2006 at 03:14 AM said:
you can dig upwards:
1x left/right - dig horizontaly
2x left/right - dig upwards

thanks for the tip!! :)

Daid posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:25 AM said:
Ideas/pending changes:
-Mouse control (not sure about this one)

thank you very much for even just considering this option! :D

hey Daid! Any news? How`s your new rendering approach without SDL coming along?

Haven't had much time this weekend, so no real progress.

But hardware rending works (as you know as you tested one version for me). Just need to update the font rendering as that still uses the SDL rendering. And I've noticed one small bug that makes the screen full with trash when an 'no power' icon is half off the screen, still need to fix that but I have an idea where it is.

So have you figured out why the screen gets garbled so bad?

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 11 2006 at 12:42 PM said:
So have you figured out why the screen gets garbled so bad?
Almost. (EDIT: Done)

Much more confused about the tutorials not loading bug :unsure:

And the improved frontend has the same options as the old frontend again (I did a 90% rewrite) but now with the loading of actual names instead of filenames.

sounds cool... need a beta-tester once more? ;-)

Yeah, that tutorial bug is weird. I wonder if it would help to contact the redwolf design people, they seemed quite interested in the port and also pretty cooperative. Maybe they have an idea what is different about the tut files...

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 12 2006 at 11:10 PM said:
Yeah, that tutorial bug is weird. I wonder if it would help to contact the redwolf design people, they seemed quite interested in the port and also pretty cooperative. Maybe they have an idea what is different about the tut files...
Actualy, while cleaning up my frontend code so it didn't use appsolute paths it worked. (tutorials.c4f/keyboard.c4f/tutorial01.c4s instead of /mnt/sd/Clonk/tutorials.c4f/keyboard.c4f/tutorial01.c4s)

So solved the bug while not even trying to solve it :)

Nobody noticed yet, but I cheated on the fonts. Normaly they could be in diffrent colors, while currently they are always white with a black shadow. I'm looking to 'uncheat' this by making use of the hardware blitter.

By chance I found out that is a huge slowdown in clonk planet, even the windows version. It doesn't do well with alot of objects. Reduce the amount of objects in earth and the speed improves. I'm guessing this has to do with collision detection (it usualy has) but I need to time it to be sure. It might be even be solveble.

Back