Clear Case

You ruined it...you were supposed to reply with another pun (and that was the only thing relevant in my post, as I highly doubt anyone would really be persuaded by the last sentence in that post).

Just so you know, we can see through your little tricks.

Oh wait...you were
You ruined it...you were supposed to reply with another pun (and that was the only thing relevant in my post, as I highly doubt anyone would really be persuaded by the last sentence in that post).

I did realize it too late, I was replying how funny it was, but alas, I was slow in the uptake and more paranoid than usual...it was a good joke.
[doublepost=1468211874,1468211533][/doublepost]I was even questioning myself and my intentions...am I an unwitting double-agent hired by the Russian mafia to persuade people to buy PGS hardware? What am I doing?!?!? Has everybody found out my secret plot to buy a Pyra and play video games? Maybe more pizza will calm my nerves....

Yeah, sometimes it isn't always clear how people mean things with just text. (Unfortunately my pun skills suck.)
[doublepost=1468211957,1468211896][/doublepost]
Maybe more pizza will calm my nerves....
It usually works for me. ;)

Monday morning comes quickly for me.... thanks for the laughs, rygD. I'm off..sleep well---->

No pizza for me anymore doctor says so :(
Same for me, but that may be because I didn't know I want supposed to eat for 8 hours before they took my blood, and I had just eaten spam and fried eggs. Most things were in optimal ranges, but they were unhappy with one thing. With everything else they want me to give up I will continue to have an occasional pizza.

With the Pyra being an ARM Device, x86 Emulation is needed which is pretty Slow. Maybe one of the Devboard Owners could test x86 Blender via Exagear to see how well ZBrush would Perform.

Dang I forgot Pyra is ARM. I'll wait until both GPD Win and Pyra released and got reviews so I can compare both.

I've used HD video for client presentations, so bringing this pocket sized devices on my pocket instead of carrying laptop bag everywhere seems cool.

Anyway I've looked on the Youtube videos again. Bleeding lights doesn't seem to be much of a problem :

Besides bleeding lights would only bother people around in dark areas.

What would you be doing in a dark room with bunch of people?

Anyway I've looked on the Youtube videos again. Bleeding lights doesn't seem to be much of a problem :
That was an early prototype, it was discovered that the amount of light wasn't good enough for a proper backlit keyboard. There are now more LEDs and the top of the PCB has a white layer to help reflect the light better so more light can make it through the keymat.

Yes, but ditnt the Keymate prevens the Light from bleeding out of other parts then the Keys??
I think whe will see working prototyphs whit the final Case and Keymate long bevore whe need to decide our collors..

I wants a Clear Case, but i wouldnt mind to take a diverend collor if its works better..

What would you be doing in a dark room with bunch of people?
Watching a movie/play/concert.

Yes, but ditnt the Keymate prevens the Light from bleeding out of other parts then the Keys??
It has black paint on top, so probably. Originally I was concerned about it leaking out around the edges, and even with more LEDs I don't see that amount of light being much of a problem compared to the display...and you can always lower the keyboard brightness a bit.

Watching a movie/play/concert.

Well obviously you're there to watch the movie/play/concert, not to do programming with your Linux powered pocket sized PC or watching another movie on it.

So probably you won't be using these in it, unless you want to get scolded by people around you who bothered with the screen light and LED indicators, even if it's equipped with fully opaque cases.

I scolded many of these kind of retards in the movie who pull up their phones and checking in to their social media. The screen on their handphone itself bother people around them. No need for clear/transparent cases to be a real jerk I guess.

Well obviously you're there to watch the movie/play/concert, not to do programming with your Linux powered pocket sized PC or watching another movie on it.
Steve Wozniak plays Tetris at concerts. I think he said that he also puts an earbud in to hear the sound from the game.

But that is only one example. I have seen other people screwing around with their smartphones out whatever during movies. Also, sometimes the people that go to these things are not there because they are interested in whatever it is, and just want to be with friends and family. Things like parents taking their kids somewhere (family members have gone to both plays and movies with me even if they weren't interested in the show). I will sit in the room with my family when they are watching tv and play games or do some web browsing (frequently with lights off).

You also have clubs and stuff. I remember I used to attend school dances, not because I cared about the dance. I was sick there until right before they started, so I went to then to hang out with people and make trouble. Surely others do the same sort of thing.

So probably you won't be using these in it, unless you want to get scolded by people around you who bothered with the screen light and LED indicators, even if it's equipped with fully opaque cases.
Yet people still do it. You can disable the LEDs and lower screen brightness.

No need for clear/transparent cases to be a real jerk I guess.
Absolutely true. If some stranger bitched at me because someone was having an emergency and trying to get in touch with me...they probably wouldn't be too pleased with the outcome. It is usually a good idea to leave strangers alone.

I don't know why I wasted my time explaining all this. People use their devices in dark places with other people, regardless of if any of us would.

Is that still around?
I didn't know it was a thing for movies. It is for television shows, however I never bother with it because if I am interested in a show I would rather actually watch the show.

Last edited:
+1 for the Alamo theater chain here in the US. If someone uses their screen device (or is otherwise disruptive), put up an order slip notifying the wait staff and a manager will come out and give them their only warning. 2nd offense and they're ejected without a refund.

If it's an "Emergency" then a person should get up, leave the screening/dark/theater area and take care of it in the lobby. Needing to use your phone/device during a show is equivalent to needing to use the plumbing. Both should take place privately and away from the rest of the audience.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that to save launch money, ED should release the pyra in a single color (black, dark grey or dark red or whatever is acceptable to the largest number of customers) and sell color upgrade kits (cases) in different colors later.

+1 for the Alamo theater chain here in the US. If someone uses their screen device (or is otherwise disruptive), put up an order slip notifying the wait staff and a manager will come out and give them their only warning. 2nd offense and they're ejected without a refund.

If it's an "Emergency" then a person should get up, leave the screening/dark/theater area and take care of it in the lobby. Needing to use your phone/device during a show is equivalent to needing to use the plumbing. Both should take place privately and away from the rest of the audience.

^ thank you sir.

To @rygD sure you want to do this? My thread got bumped by this and it may attract more people so I don't mind playing along.

Woz playing tetris on a concert, when does that happen? 80's perhaps. Today? I don't think he goes to concerts much. And in the 80's devices back then aren't so bright and stage light coreography are usually part of the package and concerts are extremely loud. At least he wear earbuds, though I'm not sure whether that's him being considerate or so he can focus on the Tetris' SFX and music. But nevertheless, if he (or you, for this matter) like to burn his money that way that's his (and your) business. And if Woz like to masturbate in public, would you do it too?

Clubs? Nawww son, you're replying to a regular club visitor here. Here're some tips : why on earth would you bring such a niche device to clubs? If you opted for the phone, that makes better sense. But I'm pretty sure chicks won't get impressed by you asking them to punch in their numbers on a geeky 1337 h4xx0rz tiny Debian Linux laptop. Why stop there, why not bring a whole PC gaming rig in to a club so you can play Dota 2 in it besides checking your emails and social media. You can ask chicks around to punch in their whole 10-sheets of biography on MS Office instead of just their numbers. Sounds stupid? Because it is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a nerd as well, that's how I stumbled into OpenPandora in the first place. But these are just mere common sense. Light bleeds itself won't be much of a problem in a club because like concerts light coreography are part of the package. People are actually bringing strobe lights or using strobe light apps inside, because that's how the place works in the first place. As for the "emergency calls", pretty sure receiving them in a middle of a rave party crowd with extremely loud trance music isn't a well received idea in general, but obviously not because your "emergency calls" will disturb people around you. Then again, like I said earlier why on earth would you want to take these kind of things with you in to clubs is beyond me.

It is usually a good idea to leave strangers alone.

It is. IF they don't trespass my rights. In our local movies it was displayed very clearly no handphone and talking during the show with extremely large warning signs and fonts before the movie start, Unless you're blind, you won't miss it. Not sure about movies in your country though. So if a douche taking his "emergency calls" within the show, I have every rights to scold him. Just like you have the rights to scold people who smoke in non smoking areas. I'm always ready for a conflict, and the staffs should be on my side if I do get caught in one because they're the ones who made the rules inside. So should I be afraid of agressive people who are being reminded they shouldn't taking their "emergency calls" in a middle of a show? Nope. Why? Because he's being a douche that's why.

Not sure why this kind of stuffs need to be explained elaborately. You're probably a teenager on your early puberty.

At your home, you can do whatever you want, because that's your private property/space. But even so there're boundaries, you might get a knock on your doors by your neighbors if your family is extremely and obnoxiously loud. Up to what level? I don't know. Even if it's not written or there're any large signs with extremely large fonts on it but mature people should be aware of these kind of norms existed.

Capish? Now promise uncle exorio you will be a good boy from this day forward.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that to save launch money, ED should release the pyra in a single color (black, dark grey or dark red or whatever is acceptable to the largest number of customers) and sell color upgrade kits (cases) in different colors later.

I'm not sure, but as far as I remember somebody said the clear case would require less expenses because it doesn't need any additional coatings. But that was on Pandora, which the color was simply a paint.

Judging by the link given earlier ED probably changed the case production, from coating to the color of the whole material itself. And clear is one of the cheaper option. I like the Red displayed on this website header and frontpage. But the clear case on the prototypes simply gorgeous.

Well if it's going for the largest crowd, black would be it. Red if not done properly would make the device look far cheaper.

Last edited:
Now - that makes me wonder - does ED have/own the Pandora plastics mold? If the Greece company works out well for the Pyra molds, would there be anything prohibiting ED from sending the Pandora molds to them and getting 500 or so higher quality Pandora plastics done to sell in his shop? If my Pandoras currently worked, I'd be in for a pair of polycarbonate case plastics at $30 or so a set. Something to potentially consider down the road after Pyra cases are done though.

I feel that to save launch money, ED should release the pyra in a single color
If I understood what he's saying here correctly, then depending on the colour there is no cost savings: there are some colours (including black and transparent) that he can get in whatever quantity he wants for the same price. So with 1000 shells he could make 500 black, 200 clear, and then 100 each of three other "vibrant" colours and it'd cost the same as 1000 black.
Unless he decides to go with a "real" colour (whatever that means) then he needs (I think it was calculated to about) 6000, and that has nothing to do with cost savings, that's simply the minimum amount, period.

Back