Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate

second exodous

Advanced Member
Ah crap, I might need to get a clear cases now. So a youtuber I watch frequently, ETA Prime, just customized a Odroid go case with just gold paint. He just sprayed the inside and it looked really cool. His friend used something called Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate and gave the clear case a candy red color that was still clear. Tamiami sells solid colors also, lots of video doing RC car bodies. The colors are limited but I thought I'd mention it here. I know a lot of people want colors that aren't going to be made but a DIY project like this would make your Pyra unique.

Here's the video, but search Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate on youtube and lots of videos painting Polycarbonate RC bodies. It is always done on the inside, so the clear bodies that ED is going to have in stock are perfect for this.

Many other painted should work fine, and some remain translucent as long as you don't overdo it.

Many other painted should work fine, and some remain translucent as long as you don't overdo it.
I think the advantages of these are they are formulated for Polycarbonate. I'm Not Sure though.

that looks really nice. golden pyra!
Yeah, the Gold on the Odroid go turned out really well. He was correct when he said it looked aged.

did this many years ago when i raced RC cars.... many thin coats. dont try to do it in one coat. an airbrush would be best. light dustings and build up the colour/

did this many years ago when i raced RC cars.... many thin coats. dont try to do it in one coat. an airbrush would be best. light dustings and build up the colour/
The look i want can only be achieved with really light coats. I doubt I have the skills for it, but I still plan on giving it a try.

i might need to get a translucent case just to do this. and an odroid go for the practice...

We recently had some sweet and sour sauce which came in a polycarbonate box. I can tell you, trying to wash that so it can be reused or recycled more cleanly (and won't attract flies in the week up to collection), some of that red colour just won't come out. I guess you might need to sand the inside of your clear cases a little, since it's the roughened seams and things where it's dyed the plastic box, but I can tell you, you won't be able to shift it that easily. So you just need some sandpaper and some sweet and sour sauce then ;)

We recently had some sweet and sour sauce which came in a polycarbonate box. I can tell you, trying to wash that so it can be reused or recycled more cleanly (and won't attract flies in the week up to collection), some of that red colour just won't come out. I guess you might need to sand the inside of your clear cases a little, since it's the roughened seams and things where it's dyed the plastic box, but I can tell you, you won't be able to shift it that easily. So you just need some sandpaper and some sweet and sour sauce then ;)
Using food as dyes - or the dyes in food as dyes... I wonder... If you got the actual ingredients list for that sweet & sour sauce, what is causing the color?

Code:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/red-food-dye-cochineal-bugs_us_56fafd25e4b083f5c605f3dd

May sound ich on the surface, but it's probably better for you than many of the other red dye alternatives?

Your link is not a link and I am too lazy to copy it into another tab to see what it is.

Many traditional food coloring and spices can be used to dye other things, like fabrics. There are a couple I have in mind but I can't remember what they are called. One is a flower or something that is something used in dishes I eat, and I recently saw where someone was using it to make an old school red ink. The other one is also plant based and I think you can get two colors from it depending on how you process it.

Your link is not a link and I am too lazy to copy it into another tab to see what it is.

Many traditional food coloring and spices can be used to dye other things, like fabrics. There are a couple I have in mind but I can't remember what they are called. One is a flower or something that is something used in dishes I eat, and I recently saw where someone was using it to make an old school red ink. The other one is also plant based and I think you can get two colors from it depending on how you process it.
I'm in the habit of putting code wrappers around links on this board because it tends to slaughter simple links and turn them into GIGANTIC media tagged icons with pictures and advertising that usually have nothing to do with the actual link. While doing that it actually removes the link itself and substitutes something entirely else making it impossible for someone to reconstruct the original intent.

Better?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/red-food-dye-cochineal-bugs_us_56fafd25e4b083f5c605f3dd

I understand why you do it. Was just letting you know why I wasn't reading it, because lazy. I wasn't trying to be an asshole. (I haven't tried it, but there is also a broken link icon that might do something useful for you in those situations.) I tried to add to the discussion, but I guess I failed.

Anyway, I will go ruin a new vegan's day by mentioning the smooshed bug food coloring. Thanks.

Using food as dyes - or the dyes in food as dyes... I wonder... If you got the actual ingredients list for that sweet & sour sauce, what is causing the color?
I hope you appreciate you made me go through the (mostly paper to be fair) bin to get this. It's the ingredients for chicken in a pineapple and something sauce, and I've excluded the obviously chickeny ingredients (and there's no actual pineapple in it, just sauce of the same, which I've left here):

Water, Sugar, Apple (9%), Red pepper (7%), Onion, Cornflour, Red wine vinegar, Rapeseed oil, Concentrated pineapple juice, Tomato puree, Ginger puree, Toasted sesame seed oil, Lemon juice, Spirit vinegar, Salt, Fermented soybean, Wheat, Paprika extract, Spices, Rice vinegar, Concentrated onion juice.

So the labelled colouring agent is paprika extract, but I suspect you need some other gubbins to make it the actual kryptonite that will dye polycarbonate. In my experiments in the kitchen, tomato cooked in oil makes some pretty impressively coloured oils, but they tend to be washable out of anything plastic, and I do tend to put a dash of cider vinegar in my bolognesey mixes towards the end, so that's not the key to staining nirvana. I know turmeric will stain inferior plastics yellow though, so maybe looking towards the spices is the way to go (and sadly most of those are covered under the general 'spices' label here, apart from the paprika).

you can dye plastic with standard synthetic cloth dyes.... i linked to a Punished Props youtube video in another thread where they dyed a clear visor blue for a prop helmet..

you can dye plastic with standard synthetic cloth dyes.... i linked to a Punished Props youtube video in another thread where they dyed a clear visor blue for a prop helmet..
The case is Polycarbonate though, levi pointed this out. This is why I think Tamiya colors are a better choice. No one will know until someone gets a clear case and try to color it. I might do it if the cases are cheap, I think I remember ED saying $20 USD or Euros when they go up on his site, not sure.

Your link is not a link and I am too lazy to copy it into another tab to see what it is
Don't know what browser you're using, but if you're in Firefox, if you select all the text, you can right click and load the url, even though it's not a "link"

Don't know what browser you're using, but if you're in Firefox, if you select all the text, you can right click and load the url, even though it's not a "link"
I'm using chrome for Android. I have to move the little blue handles to grab all the text I want to copy. That in the little boxy thing is why I don't bother most of the time.
[doublepost=1532698496,1532698363][/doublepost]Testing the broken link button https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/red-food-dye-cochineal-bugs_us_56fafd25e4b083f5c605f3dd
[doublepost=1532698597][/doublepost]It still makes a link. No clue. What he does is fine, just a headache.

Yes, it turns out the boards software does not mangle huffpo links, but I didn't know that until this conversation revealed it. I know it will mangle amazon, twitter, youtube and other links, but I don't remember anyone linking huffpo before.

I'm also in the habit of enclosing links in code tags. Seems every time I don't do it the boards turn the link into an unclickable (for me) monstrosity that takes up half of the page.

Now to a certain degree that's my own fault as I'm sure if I was a bit more indiscriminate about letting the software source scripts from sites left right and centre I wouldn't have a problem, but I'm in the habit of limiting my attack surface to spammers, scammers and coin miners, and when the site works 95% just fine without enabling *anything* I just don't. These links are one of the 5% of things it does wrong*

* Wrong in terms of limiting accessibility. I don't know the state of the art of screen readers for the blind and things, but it certainly used to be the case that if you made sure everything worked for people using simple browsers like that and limited everything else to the bells and whistles (which they have mainly done - other things that don't work are this editor box which is just a plain text area and some of the layout up top is a bit crushed hiding my notification numbers).

This site and the software is still something of a shining beacon, which is why this link thing is infuriating. So much of the web now will just render a blank page until you enable half of everything I'd disabled because websites were misusing it in the first place.

Water, Sugar, Apple (9%), Red pepper (7%), Onion, Cornflour, Red wine vinegar, Rapeseed oil, Concentrated pineapple juice, Tomato puree, Ginger puree, Toasted sesame seed oil, Lemon juice, Spirit vinegar, Salt, Fermented soybean, Wheat, Paprika extract, Spices, Rice vinegar, Concentrated onion juice.

That actually sounds delicious!

Next challenge - dipping egg rolls in a pool of that exact sweet & sour sauce using clear Pyra plastic parts as a ramekin.
[doublepost=1532717215,1532704864][/doublepost]
Anyway, I will go ruin a new vegan's day by mentioning the smooshed bug food coloring. Thanks.

So, this got me thinking, and I had to look things up.

Vegan - No animal products at all.
Vegetarian - No meat, maybe animal products though sometimes (cheese?).
Pescetarian - Swimming protein is OK.
Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian - No meat, but milk/cheese/eggs OK.

What do you call an otherwise Vegetarian who happily eats insects?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/14/vegans-eat-insects_n_6153476.html
It's a serious question - there isn't anything in the identification nomenclature for them.

Two Huffington Post articles on one thread derailment. These popped up on Google searches. I only rarely visit there Maybe I should visit there more?

Still, eventually the human population is either going to have to start eating bugs or get a lot skinnier.

Vegetarian - No meat, maybe animal products though sometimes (cheese?).
Anything less extreme than Vegan pretty much depends on the actual ideology behind each individual. Some so-called Vegetarians just don't like the taste of meat, others can't stand the thought of eating a part of what was once a living being while they don't give a shit about what horrors animals involved in producing indirect animal products like milk had to endure - but they all still call themselves Vegetarians. The whole topic just stinks of double standards and inconsequence.

Back