Casing cracks and bumpy-cracks/bulges on the hinge

Ok, one last update, here: I've fixed the cracks using Sugru. I didn't put a layer on the outside, though - I stuck a chunk of it to one finger, and spread it across the cracks and then removed it, so that just the cracks were left "filled" (its consistency in its modelling-clay state is like Plasticine, so this was very easy to do). It cures to be silicone rubber that's adhered to the surfaces that it's been stuck to, so it should hold up just fine. :)

This stuff is brilliant. And no need for an RMA.
grin.gif
I'm happy for you Prometheus.

Sorry Prometheus I was being very crude.

I agree a Pandora in that state (I was sorry to hear your latest has such a strange issue) would be negative advertising except for Sugru. Though I do plan to make the TV out cable connector housings from Sugru, plus spruce up a number of gizmos about the place since you first mentioned the stuff.

I was unaware Lugaru had a freeze issue though (or SD/NAND installs a weird loss of keyboard hotkeys either), I bought it the day it was announced here and have yet to apply your control set up which will make it more playable. I found zero issue at the defaults in several of the challenge (training type) levels though and I was most impressed with this port, its a lovely addition to Pandora's jar.

As for Watership Down..do you like rabbits? If so spare yourself the distress (although it is a fantastic film adaptation), dont show it to kids too early either. I've had to just re-check and I'm glad it has no real hidden connotations according to the author (I dislike it when its all allegorical (except for the bible)) but regardless, its a powerful story.

Of course "Megaman the Novel Novel" by "Prometheus Pandorianairess" will also no doubt make for a compelling read and movies/games aplenty.

If you ever want a proof reader to tell you honestly how un-gripped they are by whatever it is you've written, about a no doubt fascinating franchise of which the general public like myself, previously knew nothing of but now could conquer the Mastermind Hotseat with your facts under their belts (like me once on fire about a Bush), then bear me in mind, as I've never played Megaman and until you are published and perhaps thus give me reason to, perhaps shan't.

^ Haha, if the novel gets that far, I will indeed bear you in mind.

(As for Watership Down, I just bought it for my terribly useful Kindle. You get the blame for reminding me. :p )

Now that the cracks are fixed and we've strayed into off-topicness, I'll take the opportunity to add some off-topicness of my own (although it's on-topic with regard to it's... yes, anyway):

I pointed out The Wonder Of Sugru to a suitably-minded mate of mine based on original mentions of it on these very forums, and he bought a pack and is desperately trying to think of something to do with it. Might need to crack something of his just to give him an opportunity.

A story I don't get to tell very often: I had to read Watership Down in English class in high school (looong ago). Once I'd finished (I remember it as being rather good, actually - might have to grab it for my Kindle too), I thought I'd watch the movie (again) now that I had a shiny new context to view it in. I headed into the video store and asked them to check to see if they had a copy of Watership Down in stock. "No... no...," the attendant said, checking the computer, before adding helpfully "...but we have a copy of 'Gray Lady Down'. Would that do?".

(Gray Lady Down is a movie about a sunken nuclear submarine.)

Come to think of it, I never did get to see Watership Down again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies for the double-post, but a third hinge-welt has formed since my previous post. Where the first and second ones are at the right and middle areas of the hinge, respectively, this one is towards the left.

It's utterly bizarre - all three of them are evenly-spaced and everything. :blink:

The new hinge-welt doesn't have any cracks in it, although at this point I'm assuming (given its sudden appearance) that it might mimic its brethren and take on that trait as well.

hi any pictures of the 'fixed' cracks?

thinking of buying some of this suguru stuff but with the 6 month use by date not sure worth buying? what would i do with the rest of the stuff!?

cheers

hi any pictures of the 'fixed' cracks?
None, I'm afraid. I simply filled them - there's nothing readily visible on the outside.

thinking of buying some of this suguru stuff but with the 6 month use by date not sure worth buying? what would i do with the rest of the stuff!?
Their blog seems to have a lot of suggestions, if that's of any help.

It seems you've already fixed it, so I guess my suggestion is unnecessary :p I was going to suggest ABS cement. It is essentially ABS plastic dissolved into Acetone, so when you apply it, it "melts" some of the ABS plastic around it, and then all hardens into one solid piece of ABS plastic when the Acetone evaporates. You can pick some up at a hardware store. Also, I have those same bumps on the hinge. I thought I had mucked it up somehow.

h and I was most impressed with this port, its a lovely addition to Pandora's jar.

As for Watership Down.. I've had to just re-check and I'm glad it has no real hidden connotations according to the author (I dislike it when its all allegorical (except for the bible)) but regardless, its a powerful story.

It does though doesn't it? It's a Holocaust/Old Testament Exodus Jewish History story, concluding with getting their kin out of Stalinist Russia for their fledgling new home. There's a mish-mash of Hebrew in the Rabbit's mythology (El-ahrairah) which echoes the Lost Tribes business.

Edit: Apologies in advance as this is waaayy off topic and the forum has been bustin my backside over posting this (I'm thick, have a thicker hide and am stubborn though, so have chosen to ignore the STFU hint by the forum software and will need to make about 3 posts to get this posted. The triple postings I also apologise for but the forum wont let me post this as a single statement for some reason, so I have no choice. Like voting for assholes :angry: )

(End disclaimer edit)

edit 2: Whilst doing my patriotic bit and informing my Elite overlords they are all guilty of treason and war crimes and still wish to give me fraudulent electronic voting machines to skew my vote of which fraudster I'd prefer, I notice you have also embolden EL. As I had, as you'll see.

Sadly not, at least according to the author but you free to see what you wish as we all do and that's the beauty of it. Kinda like the Matrix and Star Wars both being heavily Christian (+other religious myths elements) in origin, yet also, both open to mainstream and conspiracy theory viewpoints (I would elaborate if we weren't way off topic again, though (un)hinge and cracked....).

The closest thing Watership Down parodies is Homer's Oddysey apparently http://en.wikipedia..../Watership_Down , as its really a very old motif that he has rehashed due to his exposure to comparative mythology, which like the bible, also has its origins firmly entrenched there aswell.

You maybe be thinking more of George Orwells 'Animal Farm', although apparently a book entitled "Orwell Subverted" http://www.psupress....71-02978-8.html (which I haven't read yet) dissects the CIA's involvement in altering the cartoon version of Orwells novel for propagandistic(?) reasons against the Soviet Union. Given that they have a 2 billion plus budget per year for Propaganda and Psy-Op purposes (no comment on Bin Laden as of yet) I wouldn't be surprised.

Wiki says it better regarding Watership Down, as you'll see from the link (my emphasis on the below paste job from it):

" Watership Down has been described as an allegory, with the labours of Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig, and Silver "mirror[ing] the timeless struggles between tyranny and freedom, reason and blind emotion, and the individual and the corporate state."[10] Adams draws on classical heroic and quest themes from Homer and Virgil, creating a story with epic motifs.[11] Additionally, some scholars have criticized its representation of gender.

[edit] Religious symbolism

It has been suggested that Watership Down contains elements of Christian or anti-Christian symbolism, or that the stories of El-ahrairah were meant to mimic some elements of real-world religion. When asked in a 2007 BBC Radio interview about the religious symbolism in the novel, Adams stated that the story was "nothing like that at all". Adams said that the rabbits in Watership Down did not worship, however, "they believed passionately in El-ahrairah". Adams explained that he meant the book to be, "only a made-up story... in no sense an allegory or parable or any kind of political myth. I simply wrote down a story I told to my little girls". Instead, he explained, the "let-in" religious stories of El-ahrairah were meant more as legendary tales, similar to a rabbit Robin Hood, and that these stories were interspersed throughout the book as humorous interjections to the often "grim" tales of the "real story".[12]

[edit] The hero, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid

The book explores the themes of exile, survival, heroism, political responsibility, and the "making of a hero and a community"
.[13] Joan Bridgman's analysis of Adams's works in The Contemporary Review identifies the community and hero motifs: "[T]he hero's journey into a realm of terrors to bring back some boon to save himself and his people" is a powerful element in Adams's tale. This theme derives from the author's exposure to the works of mythologist Joseph Campbell, especially his study of comparative mythology, The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949), and in particular, Campbell's "monomyth" theory, also based on Carl Jung's view of the unconscious mind, that "all the stories in the world are really one story.".[11] (Same goes for all current religious stories)

The concept of the hero has invited comparisons between Watership Down's characters and those in Homer's Odyssey and Virgil's Aeneid.[10] Hazel's courage, Bigwig's strength, Blackberry's ingenuity and craftiness, and Dandelion's and Bluebell's poetry and storytelling all have parallels in the epic poem Odyssey.[14] Kenneth Kitchell declared, "Hazel stands in the tradition of Odysseus, Aeneas, and others".[15] Tolkien scholar John Rateliff calls Adams's novel an Aeneid "what-if" book: what if the seer Cassandra (Fiver) had been believed and she and a company had fled Troy (Sandleford Warren) before its destruction? What if Hazel and his companions, like Aeneas, encounter a seductive home at Cowslip's Warren (Land of the Lotus Eaters)? Rateliff goes on to compare the rabbits' battle with Woundwort's Efrafans to Aeneas's fight with Turnus's Latins. "By basing his story on one of the most popular books of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, Adams taps into a very old myth: the flight from disaster, the heroic refugee in search of a new home, a story that was already over a thousand years old when Vergil told it in 19 BC."[1]"

Just like the Bible which taps into the older syncrenitism of all the prior religions, that all revolve around solar worship and are really just allegorical stories (easier to remember by most folk) veiling early astronomers observations of the the solar system and its routine effects upon the planets living conditions.

As such, all religion is really just early science, that was remarkedly accurate for its time and remains so. Such that Easter is still a date set by observation of when the first weekend following the full moon after the spring equinox occurs (representing the confirmed conquering of the winter darkness, in the form of the fading of the fully reflected light of the sun god, in his companion moon goddess and perpetual virgin mother. The original virgin born God was Atum, who thought himself into existence and being alone, had to fellate himself for entertainment and spit out his seed to create his companion Godesses Shu and Tefnut (of Air and Mositure ) to keep him company. Yes you heard me right :rolleyes: ), as was noted by early Church fathers such as Origen, Jerome, Tertullian, Justin Martyr and others. Or some such. Hence Isis-Ra-El.

This also explains the prior Bull, Ram and now Fish symbolism within religions of various ages of the precession of the equinoxes and why Christianity is now under attack, as it is soon the 'Age of Aquarius' and as Jesus stated “Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.” Luke 22:10.

Sorry for the way off topic yet again :)

h and I was most impressed with this port, its a lovely addition to Pandora's jar.

As for Watership Down.. I've had to just re-check and I'm glad it has no real hidden connotations according to the author (I dislike it when its all allegorical (except for the bible)) but regardless, its a powerful story.

It does though doesn't it? It's a Holocaust/Old Testament Exodus Jewish History story, concluding with getting their kin out of Stalinist Russia for their fledgling new home. There's a mish-mash of Hebrew in the Rabbit's mythology (El-ahrairah) which echoes the Lost Tribes business.

Again sadly no, as the author stated. In addition you should be aware that the same Church fathers and biographers of the era were well aware that the Lost Tribes / Twelve tribes of Israel were allegorical in nature and simply representations of the Zodiac under Jewish interpretation, rather than the earlier Eygptian/Indo-Persian (totally made up word for the gist of things) then Greek/Roman variants, as we can see from their writings :

Excerpt from http://freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2639

"Here we discuss the evidence for the motif of "the Twelve" in antiquity, including as concerns the Bible as well as in other artifacts and myths in numerous other cultures. As we can see, the ancients in many places around the world have been very focused on this sacred number, which signifies the 12 hours of day and night, the 12 months of the year and the 12 signs of the zodiac. The Twelve is, in fact, a motif found ubiquitously, dating back centuries to millennia.

Were the 12 Tribes of Israel Based on the Zodiac?

This is a subject about which there is much disinformation, including attempts to claim that the zodiac postdated the founding of the Israelite nation with its 12 tribes and that, hence, the numbering of the tribes could not be based on the 12 zodiacal signs, as has been suggested by many people since ancient times.

Testimony of Josephus and Philo

The claim that the 12 tribes of Israel were identified with the 12 signs of the zodiac is spelled out clearly by the ancient Jewish writers Philo and Josephus, during the first century. During the first century BCE, Diodorus Siculus identified the 12 tribes with the 12 months.

As I relate in Christ in Egypt (261):

See Exodus 39:9-14: "...they made the breastplate... And they set in it four rows of stones... And the stones were according to the names of the children of Israel, twelve...according to the twelve tribes."

As Josephus says (Antiquities, 3.8 ): "And for the twelve stones, whether we understand by them the months or whether we understand the like number of the signs of that circle which the Greeks call the zodiac, we shall not be mistaken in their meaning." (Josephus, 75.)

Earlier than Josephus, Philo ("On the Life of Moses," 12) had made the same comments regarding Moses: "Then the twelve stones on the breast, which are not like one another in colour, and which are divided into four rows of three stones in each, what else can they be emblems of, except of the circle of the zodiac?" (Philo, 99.)

As we can see, by the first century it was well known that the theme of "the 12" was astrological in nature.".

If you distrust this lady and want a modern scholars opinion then please take the time to watch the excellent 'Hidden Story of Jesus' by Oxford Brookes Theologian Dr Robert Beckford here http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7956238808750388174#

so the after picture looks like before picture you posted earlier in this thread?
Pretty much, yes. It's just now they're filled with a solid black substance instead of nothing at all. Photographing them would be pointless, as the images would look little different. :lol: Suffice to say, they seem (I hope) to have settled down at this point, and they appear to have stopped changing and spreading, which is why I opted to fill them in when I did.

(Also, less on-topic, at MarioPandio and Asmo: The Wikipedia entry on the Lapine language is quite interesting, too, with regards to the "El" thing in El-ahrairah, and some other stuff. :p )

Apologies for all the off topic waffle, I was away with faeries again and somewhat disgruntled with AV voting for fraudsters and OBL propaganda. I shall check out the Lapine Language issue.

The death by gassing of the Rabbits that refused to flee following Fiver's prophesy is certainly pretty suggestive..

Not as much fun as hunting down rude stuff in Disney films though.

Ok, one last update, here: I've fixed the cracks using Sugru. I didn't put a layer on the outside, though - I stuck a chunk of it to one finger, and spread it across the cracks and then removed it, so that just the cracks were left "filled" (its consistency in its modelling-clay state is like Plasticine, so this was very easy to do). It cures to be silicone rubber that's adhered to the surfaces that it's been stuck to, so it should hold up just fine. :)

"Plasticine" is a term that I'm only recently familiar with thanks to the likes of Mr. James May and his Toy Stories show. You could think of Sugru as adult Plasticine.

The death by gassing of the Rabbits that refused to flee following Fiver's prophesy is certainly pretty suggestive..

Not as much fun as hunting down rude stuff in Disney films though.

I don't disagree its very suggestive of a holocaust theme, its just its unintentional.

HeHe quite :lol:

Although I find some of the adult references in Disney stuff to be frankly scary and rather Paedophile orientated. Lets definitely not discuss that here or anywhere, as its frankly sick.

It seems you've already fixed it, so I guess my suggestion is unnecessary
tongue.gif
I was going to suggest ABS cement. It is essentially ABS plastic dissolved into Acetone, so when you apply it, it "melts" some of the ABS plastic around it, and then all hardens into one solid piece of ABS plastic when the Acetone evaporates. You can pick some up at a hardware store. Also, I have those same bumps on the hinge. I thought I had mucked it up somehow.

Thanks for this suggestion ToastBucket

I just got my pandora, and like many others, my guess is that people are noticing the hinge. Mine hasn't begun to crack yet, but there's a fair amount of force when opening the pandora. Also, the case is now making a squeaking noise when being opened up. I'm concerned with the eventual cracking of my unit, too..especially since I'm using it daily right now and continue to plan on daily use.

^

The next round of cases might not have these stress issues, we'll just have to see when they get here and get into some users hands.

Back