Cracks in black CC version Pandora case: warranty after 18 months?

Wootson

A little while ago I noticed two small cracks in my black CC version case. One is located at the right speaker, and one is located at the point of the internal hinge. I'm afraid that at one point in the future this is going to cause some issues. Especially after hearing those "screen with purple tint" stories.

Does this still fall within warranty after about 18 months of ownership? Can I send it in and have my case (and if needed, LCD cable) replaced?

I bought my unit at Craig's store, but I noticed that only EvilDragon is actively selling Pandora stuff via the DragonBox webshop.

I'm curious about this too actually as my Pandora also has a few cracks appearing, one on the back of the hinge and one toward the top right corner of the lid when open.

Actually, the ''black case'' revision was weaker at some point near the hinge and on the lid beside the speakers. I know that the new ''silver'' revision has got a stronger plastic mix, making it more solid.

If you're not afraid, changing the case is quite easy. I did it twice with my pandora and nothing broke if you're careful.

That means you simply have to buy a complete new case from EvilD, no rma neither a long waiting time.

Back of hinge on my first batch case is showing cracks also :(

So is the silver case is the one to get then ?

I can get an LCD cable at the same time that mine needs and replace on changing the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the EU it's pretty normal to have two years warranty on any electronic device, so that's why I'm asking. Plus (if I remember correctly) someone from OpenPandora once said that they would be a little more gentle with warranty if either the case issue or the LCD cable issue happened.

If the new silver case is also not strong enough then there might be no option as of now. But if it actually is stronger and doesn't crack after a while, then I surely would like to have my case swapped from black to silver. Maybe I can do this myself, but I don't want to damage the LCD cable. Heard some horror stories about using 3 to 5 cables per Pandora montage because they were damaged in the process... :eek:

Then I've got another problem and it'll cost me around 50 (including shipping) to fix all this. Also, do you need to pay for RMA repair costs? Would be very handy if this would be displayed on the official website (what happens at RMA and does it cost something extra (hourly wages)).

A little while ago I noticed two small cracks in my black CC version case. One is located at the right speaker, and one is located at the point of the internal hinge. I'm afraid that at one point in the future this is going to cause some issues. Especially after hearing those "screen with purple tint" stories.

Can you take some pictures? I'd like to compare with the cracks I have.

Yeah, I've just changed my case to another black one and it already has cracks in the hinge. I've just come to accept them. I may change to a grey case if they're stronger at some point.

Did not realise this topic had started I have started a new topic about this.

This is what I started with :

"I dont really want to start this topic again but having a Pandora that cost over 400 euro

with a case that has completely collapsed because of cracks I would really want to know if this issue is solved. Surely the physical state of the Pandora is first priority.

Is there a guarantee with the Pandora I now have

I eventually purchased the 7 day one after three years waiting

Im left with a crack at the back from the usb A broken battery cover that will not stay on.

If this was dS I would demand a new machine.

I have every single handheld device that was probably ever made and this is the worst put together machine physically that I ever owned

I emailed Evil dragon but got a Vague response

WILL THE NEW MACHINE CASES crack

otherwise its a waste of money

Can anybody answer this question "

The build quality is absoutely bad I have noticed a crack developing even if the machine is not used at all.

The gp2x wiz etc that I own never ever looked developing even the hint of a crack.

Cannot understand why some people actually consider fixing with glue sugaru etc.

Any case that developed catastrophic cracks like this should be replaced FOC.

The machine is brilliant but i am losing interest with how bad its breaking up.

Surely other buyers are not happy?

I would buy a 1ghz machine if I could be guaranteed it would not crack up.

But I would want a sizeable chunk taken of the price for the old cracked one.

Any ideas?

I noticed only today my rebirth edition has the crack on the right hand speaker. Gotta say its usage has been less than an hour in the three months i had it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

My Gp2x is years older than the Pandora. Still in Mint condition used frequently for years.

Build really strong and crack free (which company supplied these cases?)

I really cannot say how dissappointed I am with this machine

It has taken up a good few years of my life (Retro Gamer Total )

I really wanted this machine but now I am afraid to use it along with the machine cracking up.

I am now using my Wiz and Gp2x and my Android Xoom (Motorola) which has quite good emulation

for PSX Amiga Speccy etc.

The new Uae4all on the Pandora with HD support is excellent but the machine build is always there.

The new cases hopefully have fixed all this, we're just unfortunate to be early on the list.

The paint peeling on the D-Pad isn't anything big.. it's just caused by use. Also the cracking on the screen really won't cause much issues either. It's the cracks that develop on the hinge that get me nervous.

My first batch Pandora I had to patch up the hinge a bit with glue.. My black cased Rebirth Pandora is showing cracking on the front of the hinge just like yours and will most likely break down after a while.

Well, I'm going to sell mine. I don't use it very much and all the hassle with RMA is not worth it for me. Someone else will become quite happy with my Pandora, I'm quite sure of it.

Edit: Just having put my Pandora on the trading boards and having re-installed the firmware and then checking if everything works perfectly, I get a purple screen. You gotta be kidding me!! WTF!!

Well, I'm going to sell mine. I don't use it very much and all the hassle with RMA is not worth it for me. Someone else will become quite happy with my Pandora, I'm quite sure of it.

Edit: Just having put my Pandora on the trading boards and having re-installed the firmware and then checking if everything works perfectly, I get a purple screen. You gotta be kidding me!! WTF!!

It found out you don't love it anymore and is taking revenge.

You KNOW what happens to the UNBELIEVER !!! :p

Overall build quality is not very good, and I haven't even used the device that much. Makes me laugh a little, thinking of when people always said that the GP2X F-100 and F-200 had such a bad build quality. Pandora is much worse.

This is not an excuse, but I worked in industries making packaging in plastics and please know that it is extremely difficult to make something durable that does not crack everywhere. At least, it needs experience and knowledge, and people who know how to design the plastic pieces to make them very strong. There are always dozens of people working on this kind of issues in companies that produce millions of product, to ensure that you get close to zero defects on the actual case.

I don't think that anyone in the OP team has such knowledge and they unfortunately have to learn some as they go.

Back