Release Cannonball - The Enhanced C++ Outrun Engine

Tested it. Works nice for me. Thanks a lot.

First I thought "What no cars? Do i need to modify the config? hm, and steering through curves is pretty easy.... and why the hell did i ran out of time before making it to the next section although I never used the brakes??". But a short while later i remembered that my car has a gear and I shifted to "H" with the shoulder-buttons. :D

Little proposal since 750Hz cpu-frequency is recommended for the less demanding 30fps: Add "<clockspeed frequency="750"/>" to the "PXML.xml". This way the user will AFAIK be asked on the first run if he wants to really set it to that frequency (once or permanently).

Also see: http://pandorawiki.org/PXML_specification#The_.3Cclockspeed.3E_element

And one thing I would welcome if you are release a new version anyway (no hurry), is to swap the sound- and no-sound-version in the PXML. I often start PNDs from CLI by using "pnd_run" and the way it's currently configured needs the parameter "-1" to start the sound-enabling script. Another option would be to remove the nosound-version, if it's not really needed anymore. The sound-version seems to run fine anyway even on the first-batch-pandora (which I have).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the nosound. If no-one is against that, I will remove it from next release.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

A question about the overclock setting, if I set to 750Mhz, will it downclock those who are at 1Ghz for exemple ?

I'm not 100% sure, but I expect that behavior. Would be quite a flaw in the system otherwise. I took a look at the tvbrowser.pnd, which comes with such a zenity-menu for setting the frequency due to using "<clockspeed frequency="900"/>". You could try to set it to "600" in a test with cannonball.pnd and manually overclock to "725". If then the window does not appear, then it would be a sign that it does not clock down.

You can also verify it by comparing "/proc/cpuinfo" while the pnd is running and before.

Just for your information, I get silky smooth graphics and sound when set to 60fps on my CC pandora at 950MHz, with slight crackles but no perceived graphical stuttering when encountering hills. 

Oh, and you absolutely do need Outrun Rev A and Rev B ROMs for this.

D.

Wow just tested the new version on my CC, this is an awesome improvement, it's almost fullspeed !!!

One note, when pressing X or B, if i accidentally hit the other button, the speed drops to zero :/.
Ok, I have reproduced the problem. The problem is, when you press the second button, it consider you release the first one. So this inside my code. I am not sure I will try to fix that as the next release seems to bring control customization.

Not a big deal ^^.

I hope to be able to change buttons, because i usually use Y as accelerator and A as brake, because it's easier to drive like this.

Next release, if control are not configurable, I can change default controls to:

Y or B or X to Accelerate (and fix the double press button issue)

A to Brake

Because, you mainly need to accelerate and less time to brake B)   (hum, maybe that's why I can't make it to stage 5, sometimes you may hve to brake).

YB accel and XA brake is fine too.

But maybe someone may find it weird ^^.

Outrun is amazingly difficult. Much more than Super Hang-On, which is far from being a piece of cake...

Maybe not your philosophy, but if you want to, then you can modify the time you are granted per section and the amount of cars that are coming in your way in the config-files located in the appdata-folder.

I wonder how close the default difficulty is to original arcade once. Though that could probably be adjusted as well and thus there is not the one original difficulty.

It is the arcade game, so the default difficulty is the same than the arcade's default. Both can be adjusted.

Is a pause button (P) planned ?

Was in the subway, and when i change line, it's pretty hard to play while walking ^^.

Seems that pause is F1.

The thunar bug is not triggered by your pnd, it's a listing mode bug...

Ok, I prefer that, even if a bug in Thunar is not a good thing.

About pause button, I'll change that to 'P' next PND, if it's not configurable by then  ^_^  .

regarding the rom files for this, I thought I had located the proper files, which I've all extracted into the roms directory (the file names all seem to match anyway), but the PND doesn't seem to run, what's the best way of checking this?

I've just tested the full 60fps mode, wow it's great.

What is the 30/60 mode ?

regarding the rom files for this, I thought I had located the proper files, which I've all extracted into the roms directory (the file names all seem to match anyway), but the PND doesn't seem to run, what's the best way of checking this?
 You should compare the file name of each roms with the .txt that sit in the roms folder

Also take a look a the pnd.out fil in /tmp for cannonball, you find interrestings informations inside (I don't remember).

PS: the rev-b roms is not enough, you need a file from the rev-a also.

Back