[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if Wifi is really bad without the window, the window will be added to the design (for those who did ordered the case with WiFi window).
In case you weren't already aware, the wifi is really bad in many Pandoras, so a window may not help a whole lot.
Mine is quite good (note the antenna I have on the pic above), so I really want that window. My only fear is that my antenna is somewhat bigger and won't fit in the new case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give a life-sign:

1. Yes, we still exist.

2. Yes, we are still working on the Pandora and will deliver the cases (hopefully) by end of November.

Anyhow we need to utilize a new CAM software for translating the model into a CNC milling program. Programming a case on the CNC itself is somehow possible, but not really an option (much too complex). The problem is, that the CAM Software (ZW3D) and especially its Postprocessor still tries to ruin my CNC milling centre by chosing toopaths leading through the machine table.

Before this problem is solved, we cannot start production. Unfortunately we depend on the software supplier to get a proper CAM Postprocessor.

3. Concerning the WIFI Window: The first prototypes will NOT have that window. We will assemble it and test its WIFI capabilities. Only if Wifi is really bad without the window, the window will be added to the design (for those who did ordered the case with WiFi window).
Hiya, Thanks for the update!

I'm presuming you already did some basic redesign in CAD software to replace clips by screws etc.? Like if the screws will be screwed into the raw material or will a screw thread be tapped in? Will it need spacers in between to prevent the screws from loosening? And did you already put some thought in the redesign of the hinge? Somehow I have the feeling it will end up being something with plastic spacers and a big screw to tighten it.

Anyway, I'd love to see some renders or maybe just screenshots and hear about your ideas on this matters. That is, if it doesn't take too much of your time of course. ^_^

Some other questions that popped up in my mind when reading about the late November time indication (3 weeks)...

Once the CAM software post processor is sorted, how long will the actual production process take?

Have the raw material arrived yet?

Of course I'm hoping that the Wi-Fi window isn't necessary for 'some' network access.

I found that a USB Wi-Fi dongle (atleast my 802.11n one) is a lot more power hungry than the internal wi-fi, shortening battery life. So I tend to only use that when downloading large files. For me the internal wi-fi doesn't have to be stellar but it would be nice if it would atleast work just like it did on my old CC pandora (anything between 15kB/s and 70 kB/s). Isn't that testable by just shoving a Pandora between some aluminum plates of the the same thickness? I mean... it doesn't have to be a case does it? :rolleyes:

Can't wait!

Mine is quite good (note the antenna I have on the pic above), so I really want that window.
Oh, don't get me wrong, if it will help at all I probably want it.  I was just trying to say that if that wasn't known and the window is assumed necessary because in the new case the wifi on the test unit has speeds that are slow, and the connectivity is iffy, the case may not be to blame.  I don't mean this as an excuse, but when I posted that I hadn't slept for a couple days and in my mind it seemed like it needed to be pointed out.  Now, thinking a bit more clearly, I am pretty sure whoever is testing it would probably get a baseline in the plastic case first.

My only fear is that my antenna is somewhat bigger and won't fit in the new case.
Did you mod yours?  I am guessing it is not stock if this is a concern. 

Somehow I have the feeling it will end up being something with plastic spacers and a big screw to tighten it.
That idea is a bit rough, but it might work.  I don't know how well it would work in practice unless tightened during use.  That actually might be nice, as it will more securely hold the display/lid in place at different angles.  I think it might get a bit worn over time.  A thumb screw would be fun, even if this method has some weaknesses.  Yeah, I like weird things.

@ IDV :

Splendid !

Since the redesign is completely finished, I bet you can give / show us some screenshots and details of the CAD-Files.

First of all I m interested in the following information :

final number of parts ?
precise overall weight ?
screenshot of the hinge solution ?
screenshot of the inside - bottom, top, lid of the Al-casing ?
screenshot of the outside - the complete assembled casing ?

Just that the people will get an imagination of what they have payed for about 4 months ago.

Or is that Software also broken in your well organised facility ?

I'm reexcited by the new details!  Thank you.  I also feel a certain kind of special that the wifi window doesn't seem to be a first priority, I'm happy that I'll be able to feel happy whether or not that detail works out or is even needed.  Although I don't mind either way though, it would feel cooler and more mystical if the wifi and blutooth still worked a little from inside of the non-windowed case.  Invisible lines resonating out from my little metal block adds to my fantasies of using awkward extra stuff just in case none of the alternatives are available.  I like little bonus gifts, especially the ones I'm not completely aware of.

Just that the people will get an imagination of what they have payed for about 4 months ago.

Or is that Software also broken in your well organised facility ?
You seem to be mixing IDV up with someone bad, but I really don't think this is one of those situations. 

Everything is going according to the estimated schedule we were told from the beginning, and IDV has just updated us on what they're up to and why, reassuringly.

Your showing a bit too serious of sarcasm, please try not to encourage the chef to spit in our food.

Your showing a bit too serious of sarcasm, please try not to encourage the chef to spit in our food.
That's probably why restaurant foods usually taste better than home cooking ;)
Fair, I don't mean to put down spit food.  These cases are meant to last though, and since we aren't responsible for the details going into their creation we should champion the guy who is, rather than dare him to mess up.

Offtopic but I giggle every time I see Tenka's avatar.

Isn't that testable by just shoving a Pandora between some aluminum plates of the the same thickness? I mean... it doesn't have to be a case does it? 
I don't think so, the signal could escape through the sides and it would be a different response than a fully enclosed antenna.

Isn't that testable by just shoving a Pandora between some aluminum plates of the the same thickness? I mean... it doesn't have to be a case does it?
I don't think so, the signal could escape through the sides and it would be a different response than a fully enclosed antenna.
I'm pretty sure it depends on the precise form of the aluminium (thickness, rounded corners, etc, everything). Probably possible to simulate with the right software and the CAD plans, but when you don't have that probably expensive software then much easier to just test.

Edit: Because there will be interference and reflection everywhere.

@Tenka

The thing just is : The so called "Chef" did not serve the appetizer yet (visual concept),
neither did he provide us with any salad yet. (preview of the finally milled Al-case)

For someone who "steps into the arena" with sayings like :

"...I want to mention that I am an Electronic Engineer (TU Karlsruhe), so I believe that I should have some Idea of what I am doing..."

"...It is close to an insult to assume that an engineer might be unable to place some screws properly..."

and the following one really made my day :

"... you might not be as important as you feel..."

better should deliver some progress instead of hiding behind phrases.

All that I m asking for is some visual progress. Because till now we only have a list of weird delays :

-ED gives "green light" for the case production on August 15th.
-IDV gives a response that he is waiting for a dummy case to arrive on August 18th.
-ED gives an update that the machine data is being programmed on September 3rd.
-IDV gives an update that he has started the redesign on about September 18th. (?!)
-IDV gives an update that its going to be delayed until end of Nov. due to some CAD-CAM-Software issues. (?!)

If its just the CAD-CAM Software causing the trouble at the moment, he could at least
show up with A LOT of visual content of the final case and some technical data to end up
speculations about weight issues, the size of the whole thing, the wall thickness, how many parts, etc...

@Tenka

The thing just is : The so called "Chef" did not serve the appetizer yet (visual concept),

neither did he provide us with any salad yet. (preview of the finally milled Al-case)

For someone who "steps into the arena" with sayings like :

"...I want to mention that I am an Electronic Engineer (TU Karlsruhe), so I believe that I should have some Idea of what I am doing..."

"...It is close to an insult to assume that an engineer might be unable to place some screws properly..."

and the following one really made my day :

"... you might not be as important as you feel..."

better should deliver some progress instead of hiding behind phrases.

All that I m asking for is some visual progress. Because till now we only have a list of weird delays :

-ED gives "green light" for the case production on August 15th.

-IDV gives a response that he is waiting for a dummy case to arrive on August 18th.

-ED gives an update that the machine data is being programmed on September 3rd.

-IDV gives an update that he has started the redesign on about September 18th. (?!)

-IDV gives an update that its going to be delayed until end of Nov. due to some CAD-CAM-Software issues. (?!)

If its just the CAD-CAM Software causing the trouble at the moment, he could at least

show up with A LOT of visual content of the final case and some technical data to end up

speculations about weight issues, the size of the whole thing, the wall thickness, how many parts, etc...
Just to clarify, Sep 18th was when IDV stated they had already started the case redesign. That doesn't mean that the redesign had just begun on the 18th.

There have certainly been some minor delays, but I personally was expecting as much as it sounded like this would be one of the first jobs run on a newly installed machine. We'd at least be keeping close to the original timeline by having the cases start coming off the mill at the end of the month. Doesn't mean that will happen. I think many of us have come to expect these kinds of delays in this community. I'd still like to remain optimistic though. :)

By visual content, do you mean renders? That would seem to be the only thing even in the realm of possibility at the moment.

As far as I'm concerned the opinions of people that didn't preorder a case are completely irrelevant in this particular thread.

As far as I'm concerned the opinions of people that didn't preorder a case are completely irrelevant in this particular thread.
Well, as you know, we do have a history of being anxious about losing our money around here...

I'm not concerned in the least, but ppl were kinda forced (again) to jump in and buy a product with unknown specs and an unknown production cycle (2 months TM).

Luckily we do have anough crazy guys who are willing to do that. But it feels just natural to me that ppl start asking questions.

On the other hand, if I were a producer/engineer/salesman and i wanted to sell my product here, i'd very much try to go for transparency and come clear with all the info i've got. Because i'd know how important that is to those ppl.

If there's nothing important to say, thats fine. But updates like: "... still experimenting with hinge and wifi window design..." or "... it's all set and first prototype data is being hacked into the machines..." would be much appreciated.

^That and we are not talking several thousands of preorders but around 50. It was always a gimmick.

As ED said: I did not get a penny for the aluminum cases so far - and I will not ask for it before we really deliver the cases (after ED approved them).

I can somehow understand your desire for just-in-time information.

But please also understand me: The Pandora case is not the only subject I have to deal with at the moment - and believe me: I want to earn that money as soon as possible and with a product which is good enough to also get the order for a big lot of Pyra Aluminum cases.

As stated before: We still do not have a CAM-Processor, but I wasted the full (to-)day with a salesman from another company offering such CAM software - and his Postprocessor worked pretty well in the first trial. But they recommend a two weeks training (7 - 9 working days) before you can use their program properly. Also I cannot swap the cotracts so easily (have to wait another 2 - 3 weeks before I can return the license of the software I already ordered). And we are talking about Software with a 10 - 15.000 Euro price tag on it (+ monthly maintenance/update/support fees).

And the Pandora is not the only order we need it for. :wacko:

And - no: I did not order the Aluminum yet, because I do not want material worth thousands of Euro sitting on the floor longer than necessary. But I can get the material within a few days, as soon as I am ready to process it. There is definetely no shortage of Aluminum. ;)

Presenting Screenshots, Renderings etc.: I already have got a 12 hours working day (and a lot of other construction/production work to do, all with deadlines ...), so please understand that I will not do that before the first real cases are ready (and tested). Anyway: The aluminum cases will not look much different from the Plastic ones. The main differences will be hidden inside (thicker walls etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back