[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would send mine... but at this point I'm still not in and that won't change until we get more information, I guess I'm inflicted with "Craig's preorder syndrom" or something like that...

I opted for the "do it yourself" route, but now having read how difficult some people find reattaching the LCD cable, I am beginning to wonder if I can do it without ruining the cable. Hopefully the online instructions will be enough but you never know.
You can practice on some electronics junk like old smartphones, photo/video cameras or netbooks (assuming you have any at home). My understanding of how LCD cable latches work improved after I've broken a couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
What frighten me is not the cable latch personally, it's the way to "roll" the cable and pass it through the hinge...

and yes, I've practiced with such connector a few time already on a few DSes when changing the case or when changing a broken screen on my nook V1 (I had to remove 6 flat cable for that alone, do you believe that?)

Rolling the cable when I replaced mine last time did take me a couple of tries, but using the video as reference is was easy to see what it should look like, and back out until I get there. Not that scary an operation, I'd say, and it certainly took me less time than getting into the bottom screws of my Pandora did the first time.

At least for me, the hardest part is opening the inner lid.  The probability of breaking the LCD cable (and the inner lid) here is (are) the highest.

At least for me, the hardest part is opening the inner lid.  The probability of breaking the LCD cable (and the inner lid) here is (are) the highest.
I actually made a cut into the plastic on my unit, so the inner lid can now be removed without too much trouble (it is held only by 4 screws and 3 side clips now). I wish this cut existed from the beginning.

No, I left the clips where they are. I just made a cut on the round part, somewhere near the F3 and F4 buttons, which allows the inner part of the lid to be removed, exposing the LCD, the wifi antenna and the speakers.

Can't attach pictures to my posts in this topic. Is there a reason for this?

Anyhow, here's the pic:

LSL8xt.jpg

Yes, it can be seen when the lid is open, but I barely notice it among all the cracks and scratches I have. I really want to have that alu case...

Man!  You don't know who much I want that alu case.  I would love to just THROW the pandora in my pocket and not worry about it getting scratched or cracked.  As of now, I am using my pandora very gingerly.  Too gingerly like handling an egg :)

THROW the pandora
YES!  Well, not really, but I want to not be so worried about the case.  Like you, I treat mine very gently.  As much as I baby it I still have scuffs and scratches.  Putting it in a pocket may still be a concern if the window isn't great.

THROW the pandora
YES!  Well, not really, but I want to not be so worried about the case.  Like you, I treat mine very gently.  As much as I baby it I still have scuffs and scratches.  Putting it in a pocket may still be a concern if the window isn't great.
I told Ed I don't want windows on my 2 cases so I don't have to worry.  Unless he forgets to tell IDV.

I thought I read that you can add notes after placing the order, so if we find out that the wifi window might be a weak point I will be trying that.  That is, if we find out about the windows before the cases are produced.  I would like the window, if it isn't too bad, so that I can use wifi without carrying around my little USB thing.

I thought I read that you can add notes after placing the order, so if we find out that the wifi window might be a weak point I will be trying that.  That is, if we find out about the windows before the cases are produced.  I would like the window, if it isn't too bad, so that I can use wifi without carrying around my little USB thing.
I put a note on mine to not had the WiFi window. However, something has occured to me.
Will the metal cased Pandora still fit in the carry case? If it doesn't, then I wouldn't have anywhere to store the WiFi USB dongle when carrying the Pandora, which leads me to want the window...

Just to give a life-sign:

1. Yes, we still exist.

2. Yes, we are still working on the Pandora and will deliver the cases (hopefully) by end of November.

Anyhow we need to utilize a new CAM software for translating the model into a CNC milling program. Programming a case on the CNC itself is somehow possible, but not really an option (much too complex). The problem is, that the CAM Software (ZW3D) and especially its Postprocessor still tries to ruin my CNC milling centre by chosing toopaths leading through the machine table.

Before this problem is solved, we cannot start production. Unfortunately we depend on the software supplier to get a proper CAM Postprocessor.

3. Concerning the WIFI Window: The first prototypes will NOT have that window. We will assemble it and test its WIFI capabilities. Only if Wifi is really bad without the window, the window will be added to the design (for those who did ordered the case with WiFi window).

Only if Wifi is really bad without the window, the window will be added to the design (for those who did ordered the case with WiFi window).
In case you weren't already aware, the wifi is really bad in many Pandoras, so a window may not help a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back