[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may be more to be redesigned, some parts of the Pandora case are pretty thick which may not be needed for an Alu-Case.  I'm also pretty sure the fitting issues of the lid are caused through to much variety in the palstic. Injection molding needs almost equal wall thickness so that the parts do not warp.

Here, this is a profile of the Pandora outer lid shell:

could be a little bit to thick and heavy for the metal version here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there was going to be some redesigning of the hinge, the snap locks and a wifi window... there could be news about that. On the other hand... no news is good news?

But anyway, I ordered a GHz upgrade this afternoon, I'm sure it's gonna be very happy in the aluminium case!

Hero in a hardshell! :)
I really want to order the upgrade as well, and just send it in to get recased (which is a good idea since I may have a display/cable issue presenting itself), but I am still on the fence about it.  If the Pyra is 6 or so months away I would prefer to wait, but if it is a year+ then I want to upgrade.  I don't know why this is such a hard decision for me, but at present the case and upgrade are a lot of money for me.

There may be more to be redesigned, some parts of the Pandora case are pretty thick which may not be needed for an Alu-Case.
As long as it can withstand me beating someone to death with it*  I am ok with thinning stuff out to make it a bit lighter.

*Not really, but if it can take that abuse I will be less concerned about how I handle it.

...some parts of the Pandora case are pretty thick which may not be needed for an Alu-Case... 

...could be a little bit to thick and heavy for the metal version here and there.
To me, you're describing benefits.  Thick and heavy and strong is great!  Thicker plates in other projects are the higher tier goals people would have to pay significantly more money for.  If we can have them now, let them please not spend effort reducing them in weight and strength! 

I'm pretty sure an full metal case will be strong and very heavy, even without optimizing the thickness. ;)  At least compared to the plastic case, the metal Pandora will be very heavy, I remember that the new alu case may weight ~300 grams or even more, thats alone the entire weight of the current plastic pandora.  

Not sure if the standard hinge mechanism can hold the metal lid if it's to heavy but we have to wait and see.

...some parts of the Pandora case are pretty thick which may not be needed for an Alu-Case...

...could be a little bit to thick and heavy for the metal version here and there.
To me, you're describing benefits. Thick and heavy and strong is great! Thicker plates in other projects are the higher tier goals people would have to pay significantly more money for. If we can have them now, let them please not spend effort reducing them in weight and strength!
While strength is great, there needs to be a proper balance between weight and strength. I'd perfer to not be playing games on a boat anchor.

Hi...

..as a Preorder for 2 Aluminium Cases i haven't  read realy new News here last Weeks.

The most Posts sayed wait or let him or the thickness/Weight.

Some Progress News?

Are the Aluminium Blocks delivered?

Are the Machine Working on it?

Have you a Picture of a Prototyp Case?

friendly Greetings from Germany ;)

Hi...

..as a Preorder for 2 Aluminium Cases i haven't  read realy new News here last Weeks.

The most Posts sayed wait or let him or the thickness/Weight.

Some Progress News?

Are the Aluminium Blocks delivered?

Are the Machine Working on it?

Have you a Picture of a Prototyp Case?

friendly Greetings from Germany ;)
 No update for now. ED says there will be radio silence until there is actual progress to show.
I read that and there is no realy Answer if the Aluminium Blocks are delivered or the Machine is actualy working on them.

A Simple real News like this 2 would be nice to Know :

Aluminium Cases are Delivered...

or

The Machine is working now on them...

Maybe the Aluminium Blocks are not delivered Yet and he is still waiting for delivering them.

(then its ok too,but we want to know it ;)   )

we only want little more Status Information :)

No, why should I?

All the data for the machine is being hacked together. That's nothing spectacular, and not much to see either.

It's just coordinations and stuff.

Once the machine program is created, it will create the cases out of the aluminium automatically.

Unless the program is finished, there is nothing to see or to show, so what updates could there be...?

It's not a project where you can show progress. It's not carved manually out of aluminium, it's just measuring the device and hack that into the machine ;)
There is lots of information which would be interesting to know. Of course nobody of us /needs/ to know anything (same for any Pyra news before it's ready to be ordered), it would just be nice.
For example:

-progress on the machining data? what do you intend to change compared to the plastic case? What has already been changed? How will it hold together, what kind of screws? what screw heads? the screen bezel probably won't clip anymore, will it?

-how is the hard coat going to happen, is everything ready for that?

-is the Aluminium already on supply or does it still need to ordered (possibility of a completely superfluous picture here)

-how do you approach the "some plastic inlay" (the only thing we know about it)? how could it look/what is going to tried first? are there going to be multiple tries or will it be skipped if it turns out to be hard to do? will there be tests about how much it worsens durability? more details on this?

etc., etc.

None of it needs a picture or something to show, if there is something like that that's just a bonus, but not necessary /at all/.

I opted for the "do it yourself" route, but now having read how difficult some people find reattaching the LCD cable, I am beginning to wonder if I can do it without ruining the cable. Hopefully the online instructions will be enough but you never know.

I will send it in because I want it to be repaired at the same time.

Both of my shoulder buttons have stopped working now.

So I am realling hoping the aluminum cases won't take another "Two Months "

I'm sending mine in, just to be on the safe side really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back