[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... before I go ahead and request this. Will Bluetooth still work or will it suffer just like wifi?

=~. O =
Exactly the same. But I don't know if you would need a second window for Bluetooth or if it's the same antenna.

Ok, well guess I'll live with the window then. :/

=~. O =

And this is how it will look:

437px-Windows_logo_-_2012.png

:lol:

Aluminum case sounds great, but a few quick questions please....

1.  This is a complete case replacement? ie, top half of Pandora that has display along with the bottom half, including the battery cover?

2.  Both the black color and the gray color are an anodized finish?

3.  About long does it take to swap out the case? a time estimate with a range of time is OK....ie, 1 - 2 hours....etc...

4.  If I send in my Pandora to have  ED swap the case, what is the estimated turnaround time after it has been received?

5.  Any rough idea of weight of case yet?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Mark

1.  This is a complete case replacement? ie, top half of Pandora that has display along with the bottom half, including the battery cover?
Yes. The only things not included are the shoulder buttons, and maybe the power switch?http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16608-aluminium-case-being-made/?view=findpost&p=346202

Yeshttp://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16729-aluminium-case-pictures/page-3#entry348341

3.  About long does it take to swap out the case? a time estimate with a range of time is OK....ie, 1 - 2 hours....etc...
I've never taken the screen part apart, but disassembly of the lower half was relatively quick, so wouldn't expect more than an hour to swap
400-800ghttp://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16608-aluminium-case-being-made/page-15#entry346380

Last edited by a moderator:
I will wait for some meaningful reviews before I decide to get one. For me Wifi is important, and I'm worried about the additional weight (it will be two or three times heavier, which is quite a lot).

Either way it's cool that it will be produced.

I am Happy that they will produced now.

When i can afford the Money,will i maybe buy a Second one for my second Pandora ;)

Yes. The only things not included are the shoulder buttons, and maybe the power switch?http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16608-aluminium-case-being-made/?view=findpost&p=346202

Yeshttp://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16729-aluminium-case-pictures/page-3#entry348341

I've never taken the screen part apart, but disassembly of the lower half was relatively quick, so wouldn't expect more than an hour to swap
400-800ghttp://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16608-aluminium-case-being-made/page-15#entry346380
THANK YOU for all the answers!!!

4 out of 5, you get an A+....

:)

Anyone know answer for question #4 ?

ED... hence why I didn't answer that one... If there's not many people sending them in, might be quite quick, but you'll never really know.
Ed tend to focus on low service time. If he can, he made his side in a day. The shipping is always the issue ;) So not even ED can reply to this

I have a Pandora I'm going to RMA once the cases. are available... That way I can get two birds with one stone

So the question I have is could i send in the Pandora ahead of time have them fix and hold it until aluminum cases can be sent out?

It depends if ED is doing the swap or you do it yourself, also. The first time I took my Pandora apart it took me over 30 minutes to drill out the sticking screw from the bottom section, and a good 15 minutes of wrangling to get the hinge mechanism to disengage, so I'd say all in it probably took closer to 3 hours, the very first time.

Now I've replaced the screw I destroyed and burred out the hole it sits in so it doesn't catch now, and my hinge mechanism has surrendered once, and I know what to expect and don't have to keep checking the video instructions, I can do it in about 15 minutes, I reckon. Not blindfolded yet, mind you.

You could practice and avoid at least one of the pitfalls I found by ensuring you can open and reclose the bottom half of your pandora once. I wouldn't recommend doing it any more though, as each time you screw those screws into plastic, you increase the small risk of destroying the thread, especially if you're not familiar with it.

I had an idea for the aerial window! its gonna be on the top part of the unit right? thats were the wifi and bluetooth antenae are? Why not just make it the pandora logo itself? Cut out a little bit of plastic embossed with the pandora logo on it (or if possible cut out the pandora logo and use that..).. make it transparent a bit so with the backlight it glows like with the pyra. :D

I had an idea for the aerial window! its gonna be on the top part of the unit right? thats were the wifi and bluetooth antenae are? Why not just make it the pandora logo itself? Cut out a little bit of plastic embossed with the pandora logo on it (or if possible cut out the pandora logo and use that..).. make it transparent a bit so with the backlight it glows like with the pyra. :D
I already am not sure about that feature on the pyra, but that aside, I don't think that's where the aerials are anyway. Besides, if you plastic top of the case lid, to what do you gain in the aluminium case?

I took a swift look on the wiki to find an exploded view of the standard case and inner parts to see where that plastic window was going to be...

Couldn't find it unfortunately

When looking at the screen on an open unit, the antenna is behind the bezel on the upper left side. 
I would expect the window to be behind that, so I imagine the positioning (on the closed unit) would be something along the lines of:

| |
| |
| +----+ |
| | | |
| | | |
| +----+ |
|___________________________________|

- Neelix

wait doesn't apple shove all of theirlaptops and minis Into aluminum uni bodies... how do they overcome this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back