Can Anyone Port This Small Bloody 2d Shooter?

lobski

An internet buddy of mine hacked it under 24 hours for a programming competition.

I give you Bunkermaster:

96201iz1.png

96202uf5.png

96203tk6.png

Win32 binary+Source:
- Original version: http://files.cellosoft.com/zeratul/bunkermaster.zip
- 1.02 (Linux friendly): http://files.cellosoft.com/zeratul/bunkermaster_v102.zip

Possible to port to the GP2x?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, it looks a bit odd .... but not bad. I think that this is surely possible to port and it would be fun to have another cool shooter!
Please, could anyone port this; I've just been looking for a new Metal Slug ;) .....

stay cheesey

I think the problem is that it uses Allegro. I can't recall anyone being familiar with that library. Would be cool though if the game was ported, it looks fun.

I do know that it is available for the gp2x. That's not what I meant. I am just not sure if there is a lot of devs here who are familiar with that library. That resolution issue is quite an obstacle aswell. Do you think we can simply resize the graphics and then use a lower res?

xnopasaranx said:
I do know that it is available for the gp2x. That's not what I meant. I am just not sure if there is a lot of devs here who are familiar with that library. That resolution issue is quite an obstacle aswell. Do you think we can simply resize the graphics and then use a lower res?

I've built it on Linux (the linux version is Cygwin friendly not Linux friendly, but not a big deal to fix the makefile)

There are a few devs who have used allegro (one of which, I think, gave up on it). I don't think allegro is a big issue - any fairly experienced dev could probably find their way around allegro. The only real allegro changes are reading the buttons to change the controls.

It uses the "dumb" and "aldumb" libraries for audio - don't know if anyone's ported these but hopefully they won't be too difficult. Volume control will be need to be added.

Scaling is more of a problem, scaling the images will not be sufficient, there are hard coded positions throughout the code.

lobski said:
Parkydr, have you entered Tins before?
As in "TINS Is Not Speedhack" competition? No

Or is the answer - "not in the biblical sense nor any other types of food container"? :)

maybe you should enter then ;-)
Looking forward to your first approaches of the port (I understand you will try porting it, right?)...

I tried using Allegro on the GP2X and as a library, I like it much more than SDL, but the GP2X version seemed unstable to me so I only use it for PC-only things now.

Orkie, what does Allegro have over SDL? Don't they essentially do the same things?

Kind of. SDL is really just for interfacing with hardware but Allegro adds useful functions (to get these in SDL you need the separate add-on libraries) like font support, primitives, rotation/scaling, etc.

xnopasaranx said:
maybe you should enter then ;-)
Looking forward to your first approaches of the port (I understand you will try porting it, right?)...
I'm afraid I very rarely get 72 hours to devote to just hacking. What I've done so far is less than 72 minutes , I haven't tried compiling it for the GP2X yet.

I probably will have a go at a port but don't hold your breath (I don't mind if someone else wants to try).

I'm not a big fan of porting with allegro on the GP2X (I think it would be good for writing a game from scratch). It provides higher level facilities than SDL but this also makes it less flexible.

Well, it compiles and runs on the GP2X

Enough of the controls work to get it playing but it definitely needs volume control.

I'm not sure if the GP2X is up to it, the movement isn't completely smooth but it plays ok (well, the top quarter of screen I can see does ).

bunkui3.png

lobski said:
Awesome, when can we expect a release?
July ;)

Probably sooner actually :)

I've only done the easy bit getting it to run as is, I've not started to really change anything yet. As I said before, there's a lot of hard coded screen positions to change so don't hold your breath.

Back