Closed Source Ports

Dead1nside said:
Oh maybe it's appropriate for me to say that I emailed MH-T who has made statically recompiled versions of: Albion, Warcraft 1, X-COM 1 & 2 to the Pandora. I've moved Albion to reflect this in the Pandora wiki to in development, given this intention.
VICTORY!!!!
(Where's that happy cheerleader smiley when you need it?)

Last edited by a moderator:
static.gif

Tasty Static
tstatic2.png

Website More Media

It's a Freeware SDL based 3D Jump’n Slide SkyRoad clone for Linux, Max & Win.
I asked the developer of Tasty Static if he could imagine making a Pandora port or releasing his game as open source. His answer: “I’m actually planning a source release of some sort in the future, and I will be sure to contact you when I move forward with said release”
So all fans of a fast SkyRoads trips can be satisfied to get the info: it became possible!
Of course I know SkyRoads should be possible in DOSBox, but try Tasty Static and you will see that it’s more than a nice remake. It has many new grad ideas a cool Tron like retro style and a community which created few new tracks.

Empires Of Steel

Yes, EOS does use a variety of cross-platform libraries (OpenGL, not DirectX), but, unfortunately, it also uses MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) for the user interface. Unless something like WINE can handle that, then it isn't something that would run on Linux.

Brit

Very Sad...

Magicka are no longer porting.
Thanks for your feedback.
As of this time we're not likely to be porting Magicka for the Pandora:
I hope you'll be able to enjoy the game on another platform though :)

Regards
Robin Cederholm
CFO
Arrowhead Game Studios

Tokiopop said:
Magicka are no longer porting.
Thanks for your feedback.
As of this time we're not likely to be porting Magicka for the Pandora:
I hope you'll be able to enjoy the game on another platform though :)

Regards
Robin Cederholm
CFO
Arrowhead Game Studios
Man that sucks that was one of the coolest looking games on the list. :(

Here is another one for the list (probably mentioned somewhere in those 19 pages already, though):
http://www.planetmule.com/
Looks port-friendly and it's free, although as far as I can tell not open source.

OrR said:
Here is another one for the list (probably mentioned somewhere in those 19 pages already, though):
http://www.planetmule.com/
Looks port-friendly and it's free, although as far as I can tell not open source.
It's a Java application, so it might run as-is. I don't know if there's a way to determine this definitively - maybe I could check and see if it runs on PowerPC, which is the only other architecture I have available here - but I don't know if that even guarantees that the Pandora will run it.

What if the games will be buy-able, will they be free for the people who already bought it?
Because I already bought much of the games I saw in the list.

Michie4life said:
What if the games will be buy-able, will they be free for the people who already bought it?

Yes, OP will ensure that for every single game that's ported that if you have bought it for another platform you will get it for free for your Pandora. Craig and ED will personally go around to every single developer/publisher and beat them with their own arms if they don't comply.

Michie4life said:
It'd be hardly worth their while to port it then wouldn't it?

Think of it this way. If you buy a game for Playstation, then you buy an X-Box, you don't automatically get the X-Box version of the game.

PhillipJ said:
Michie4life said:
Yes, OP will ensure that for every single game that's ported that if you have bought it for another platform you will get it for free for your Pandora. Craig and ED will personally go around to every single developer/publisher and beat them with their own arms if they don't comply.
In serious terms, they can't guarantee that. Most things, such as the Quakes and Dooms, and most other third party ported games, will easily be runnable without repurchase; just get the Pandora executable and copy the data from the one you already own.
However, that doesn't guarantee that every publisher will allow that. The creators of Penumbra sell both a Windows and a Linux version which they consider separate entities: buying one does not give you the rights to the other. If they released a Pandora version, they might also consider it a separate version and charge for it, even if you already own one of the other two versions.

kmob said:
I know it's a CPU hog (oddly it can be one of the most demanding apps to run on modern hardware) but has anyone asked the Dwarf Fortress guys if they'd consider a Pandora port? It's already available for linux (x86) as well as windows but it uses OpenGL (rather than ES).

No need to ask, the graphics layer is on github. Just fork it, add a branch named opengl_es, make the changes needed, and send Baughn a pull request.

Umm. Then wait and see if the main developer wants to even bother...no! I demand optimism from myself!

Back