Can a Pandora replace MY smartphone+gaming handheld?

Nognir

Still Fresh
Website
www.planet-gamepark.de
Good evening (or morning, depending on your location)

First of all, I'd like to apologize beforehand in asking an already worn-out question, but I haven't found the answers I've been searching (probably that's just me)

I've been watching the Pandora for a few months because it seemed like a great idea of a handtop+handheld console with enough power. But since the delivery issues (one-week shipping option wasn't available then) I've gone and bought myself an Android smartphone (ZTE Blade) which is used mainly for browsing, chatting, listening to music and watching videoclips, paired with a hacked psp for emulation gaming (psx and snes/gba mainly). But I'm getting dissappointed at each of my devices for specific reasons. The pros and cons of my experience are these:

Android:

+Small in size and practical to use (albeit it takes usually more than one thumb gesture if using only one hand)

+Easy access to mail and contacts

-Laggy browsing

-Typing is slow, even with Swype (especially when writing greeklish - I'm greek)

-Document editing is available but unusable

-The one I own is incapable of playing adequately PSX even if I used an iControlPad

-Every day charging

PSP:

+Plays psx almost perfectly and the emulators are fair in most cases

-Bulky (the length is the main issue)

-BAD controls (mine's the Phat one, later ones have a bit better d-pad but the analog is WAY too small, is frustrating/enraging for games such as fighting/arcade games)

-Everyday charging

So my questions to the community are these:

1.Can the Pandora provide a browsing/chatting/office editing experience to the level of a desktop/laptop, in terms of functionality?

2.Can it be considered a good buy? Taking in account the use it's going to get, the fact that its specs are showing their age bit by bit, the longevity of the handheld as a whole (concerns about minor details in build quality), plus the other possibilities it offers like USB hosting, is it fulfilling its role?

3.Is there another hardware combo that can provide all that, even if waiting for a while? Like, the iControlPad getting fully supported on a Nokia N900, which gives the bonus of dual cameras, Flash and Skype but not USB Host and the attach-detach issue.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome. I'm here to help and to promote Pandora as well.

I have one now (new owner) and I must say, Pandora is the best thing since sliced bread. I mean, I'm a linux n00b, but still find Pandora fun to use and relatively user-friendly too. I'm loving PSOne and N64 on it. 10 outta 10 B)

In web-browsing, you have a choice. You can either choose a fully-featured browser like Firefox and browse much slower than on a desktop, or a mostly-featured one like Midori and browse only a little slower, or a minimalist one like Links2 and browse faster than on your desktop. I choose Links2, mostly.

You can see a list of all available software (as well as discussion pages, where you can see what people say about how well it works) over here:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

The Pandora's okay at typing; not as good as a full-sized keyboard, though. Fine for forum posting, emails and IRC.

No, it cannot reppace a smartphone... however I have a Zte Blade myself running Cyanogenmod firmware plus Psp plus Pandora.

They add up to the perfect bunch.

Psp for blockbuster games like Godeater, Pansora for playing my classics with awesome controls and chatting and the Blade for phoning, managing schedules and contacts.

While theoretically possible, the Pandora doesnt feature enough Pda tools yet to fully replace a smartphone in its easyness.

As a handheld however it performs very nicely.

Thank you for your answers.

-Regarding the typing, I'm of the opinion it's best usable for thumb typing, unlike on a regular keyboard.

-The ZTE Blade is a nifty little tool which, despite its shortcomings, performs more than adequately on unlocked RAM patch and a custom Froyo firmware, so I might end up keeping it if I can. I only got it, however, to have some computer functions in a pocketable device. It's useful when I'm bored to turn on the laptop or the desktop to check my mail.

-The only PSP native games I've played are remakes of older games, with the exception of Dissidia:Final Fantasy. The list is: Final Fantasy I & II Anniversary Editions and currently Star Ocean: First Departure. Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain and Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver were a beautiful experience on the PSP as long as the analog wasn't acting possessed (aiming to the right, mostly). So, if I'm getting a Pandora, I'm getting rid of the PSP first.

-Regarding the browsers, isn't Fennec a better choice speed-wise? Since it's aimed to work on portable devices in the first place. Links2 would be uber geeky if the Pandora port includes touchscreen control.

-The Xperia Play is out of the question for 4 reasons: 1.Cost 2.Battery life 3.Uncomfortable ergonomics (there's nothing changed from the PSP Go so I doubt it'll feel any different) and 4.Distrust against Sony Ericsson products

Since I mentioned the N900 and all, I expected at least one response about that; it's the device closest to the Pandora after all, especially when coupled with an iControlPad.

As for the cost, it takes 440E including VAT and shipping. Since I aren't on income (still a student - ECE in Athens) the budget is what I can get from selling a desktop, the PSP and savings.

I'll be waiting for more suggestions until the time comes.

The Pandora is for you; but first give your definition of productivity.

Basically some documents for schoolwork (Word and Excel apps - there is Abiword and Gnumeric available), could use a Powerpoint alternative, haven't crossed across any. Then there is Geany for my programming needs.

I assume that there is a pdf reader bundled in Pandora software, is there a GCC as well?

The pandora is very good at those things..

- video is pretty good, but its doing the hard work in software right now, so it will get better down the road. (ie: for other devices you have to transcode, and then they can play in hardware; pandora will play those transcoded guys just fine in software; if not transcoded, pandora has a pretty godo shot at playing them just fine (see Panplayer), but its not perffect .. hit or miss. (course, most devices require transcodign at all, so that makes pandora a win in my boat.) Music, the pandora has a better chipset than iphone/ipod, so it plays back very well. Software is clumsy imho, but thats because most phones have very sdtreamlined mp3 playback. (pandora is more like a mini compter for music imho, so clicking buttons to hit play and such.. its fine, but the phones make it so damned easy ;) -- overall, Pandora is very good at multimedia

- gaming -- emualtion and homebrew only; no commercvial apps yet per se. Emulation -- pretty much tops; best selection of emulators around pretty much, and a powerful machine means they play well. A few holes are in the selection still, but usually can use Ginge to play the emulators from previous generation of consoles (gp2x, say)

- internet -- browsing is okay (not as goo das phones imho), but is great for ssh, irc, other random things; ie: big screen and keyboard mean email and such is great.

- prod - openoffice, abiword, most big name linux tools ported or portable; pretty solid at these things (given you can fit them into the RAM -- Pandora has pretty good RAM, but its not a multi-GB desktop :)

I think if your requirements are accurate, this is a good match; if your requirements are off, its hard to say.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the guys whose building the firmware, but I don't think I'm overly biased as I've been a agdget developer/hacker/collector for >10 years ;)

jeff

The Pandora is for you; but first give your definition of productivity.

Basically some documents for schoolwork (Word and Excel apps - there is Abiword and Gnumeric available), could use a Powerpoint alternative, haven't crossed across any. Then there is Geany for my programming needs.

I assume that there is a pdf reader bundled in Pandora software, is there a GCC as well?

Yes to all but power point alternative. I think there was some success with running OpenOffice on the Pandora, but it was very, very slow. I think I saw one project a while ago that attempted to create a lightweigth power point alternative, dunno if it has matured yet.

There's graphing calculator software as well; there's a native port of something (I forget), and there's a TI-92 emulator.

Openoffice... wasn't aware of that. Happen to know whether its build has taken any optimizations to keep the ram usage low? Regarding video, I'd throw mplayer or VLC on, didn't know of Panplayer. Music... the Cmus port seems like the player of choice (if there's moc or mpd+ncmpc/ncmpcpp I'd switch to that), I like the minimalistic approach of these ncurses players. In my android though, I get annoyed if it doesn't show the album art since it leaves a big gap in the UI.

What I'd like to ask about now is about the gaming keys and controls. I've heard these are among the best ever seen on a handheld.

@Skeezix: Did you, by any chance, post that from a Pandora?

What I'd like to ask about now is about the gaming keys and controls. I've heard these are among the best ever seen on a handheld.

You hear correctly. Not only is the unit very comfortable to hold, but the buttons themselves work fantastically.

I forgot to ask about video: up to which resolutions is Pandora able to play seamlessly? VGA/DVD? I suppose that the specs aren't up to HD...

N900 + Caanoo (Wiz doesn't appeal to me) is a fair combination probably, is cheaper as well (I've found used N900 for 200E and I can buy a Caanoo from gp2x.de for 150E). Anyone's thoughts on this?

from your priority list, Pandora is definitely for you, buy a cheap smartphone like myself (C6 proud owner,voip,skype, also can tether to pandora)

another choice would be N900 + Wiz (good at emulation)

Yes to all but power point alternative. I think there was some success with running OpenOffice on the Pandora, but it was very, very slow. I think I saw one project a while ago that attempted to create a lightweigth power point alternative, dunno if it has matured yet.

no, it's not very very slow

through debian extend, with video-out and some oc'ing, should be able to use it like a normal pc

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yHGGVAp_1Zw?feature=oembed

That's well within my definition of very, very slow, but I guess yours may differ :p

Back