Pandora-Days -- What Do You Really Use?

tantepose

Still Fresh
Gentlemen, ladies.

We've seen alot of videos and posts about what the Pandora CAN, or even WILL, do. And my guess is that the first week as owners we will all TRY all diferent kinds of things, videotape it, brag about it.

But my dearest owners, at the end of the day, what do you REALLY USE?

For example: Is it really fit for browsing, mp3-listening, chatting and word-processing, or is this something you tend to stop doing after you've tried it for the sake of it?

Tell us about your Pandora-days! Plx.

I use it to play video games :D
I used it to watch a movie instead of my iPod so I will definatley do that again.
But... the device is best suited to playing video games imho

tantepose said:
For example: Is it really fit for browsing, mp3-listening, chatting and word-processing, or is this something you tend to stop doing after you've tried it for the sake of it?

Yes, I find myself reaching for my Pandora over my wireless keyboard in the living room lately.
Yes, especially while browsing.
Yes, while browsing and listening to mp3s,
Nah not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Main main use for pandora is watching videos and playing. I don't use the internet or the im much because I prefer to use my smartphone. Regardless of that, the fact that pandora is also a computer has been really useful. You can organize your files on the sd card using it, download roms, open all kinds of files and browse faqs without using your computer.
I like my devices to be independent, that way I don't have to get up on the couch or wait until I get home to do thing x.

I use it for playing games. Occasionally browsing the internet, though I tend to use my netbook for that - I can certainly imagine using it when I need to access the internet when out and about (providing there's wifi available). I have watched some videos on the train, and I will certainly use it for gaming and video watching next time I take a flight.

Gaming wize to be honest I'm still playing the same Megadrive/SNES games that I was playing on my Dingoo, though it's a MUCH more pleasurable experience with the nice big screen and controls of the Pandora. I would like to try out a few more playstation and N64 games but the ones I have are just not quite playable on the emulators in their current state.

One area where I'd LOVE to use it more is couch/bed IMing. Unfortunately Pidgin crashes too frequently for me when using msn. Hopefully this will get fixed or somebody will PNDup AMSN. Then it'll really be realizing its daily potential!

Mine now gets more use than my MacBook for daily, away-from-my-main-computer internet browsing. I also use it for playing video games daily - quite often SNES games, as that's my favourite system of all time, but there are plenty of other games I own, too. MP3 playing is superb, as well.

Mdave - on it, or for it? Seen my blog post about it? I provide some handy links.. Aside from setting up Linux and downloading some bits, it takes 5 minutes. For windows/etc I can't comment. Use Linux in a vm, which I also comment on :)

I'm suddenly away from my main PC for a month and am using the pandora as my PC (when I gt the time) and it's great; I live in ssh mind you :) coding on pandora is workable but clumsy, retro gaming, browsing, sshing.. No problem. Just watching doctor who dvdrips now :) (no, didn't use a USB cd on the panda to rip, ripped using my real PC.)

I need to tweak network browsing over smb and wish flash video worked (YouTube) but otherwise .. I'm pretty happy/surprised :)

jeff

Games/testing emus.

No wifi near me so I haven't even loaded a browser on it.

Oops, I forgot writing, too.
grin.gif

Wow, this is so great to hear.

I was kinda afraid that people would just stick to gaming and dump the more pc-like stuff, with the software in such an early stage and all.

Thanks for the answars, it makes the wait seem worth it.

In the 900-1000 range, but as we've learned, God only knows what that really means. We can only hope She lurks around here somewhere.

A lot of web browsing - its the perfect thing for reddit/r/technology and so on ..

I also have mine loaded up with every emulator released so far, and am slowing going through each one to find my favourite roms .. its a wonderful, wonderful joy to have so many old machines in my pocket ..

Try plugging a USB mouse into it. That always blows my mind!

I have the Pandora on one knee, and a tiny mouse on the other, and it feels like a full-blown computer.

Anyone know of a decent bluetooth mouse?

On the go:

playing games!
Playing movies
and as a big mp3 player with scrobbling abilities :)

At home:

Web browsing on the couch :D, I dont have a laptop anymore and the pandora nice;y replaces it :)

SomeGuy99 said:

I have the Pandora on one knee, and a tiny mouse on the other, and it feels like a full-blown computer.

Is the integrated Bluetooth-reciever and OS capable of detecting Bluetooth-mouses such as Logitech's, or do you need a seperate usb-thingy?

tantepose said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Is the integrated Bluetooth-reciever and OS capable of detecting Bluetooth-mouses such as Logitech's, or do you need a seperate usb-thingy?

I don't know... there are some bluetooth based programs in the firmware, but I don't have anything to test it with.

I use mine quite regularly for all sorts.
I was watching videos during the weekend, I listen to music while commuting to/from work, play some FreeCiv and fiddle with the emulators ( PSX and N64 are just wow )
Of course, I also abuse the thing no end by my dodgy AUFS hackery and have an SD card with some loop-back images for dev work... and considering how hackerly some of my stuff is, I've only had to reflash the firmware once! And that was only because I forgot to remount one of my dev images and ended up installing half a ton of crap all over the NAND *cough*

And I shall be doing some further fiddling tonight when I get back from work. *insert evil cackle here*

Back