Could Pandora Replace My Zaurus ? 3 Questions...

jiba

Still Fresh
Hello, since a few time I'm lurking at Pandora and wondering wether this device could replace my good but old Zaurus. I use it as a computer replacement when I am on the go, since I have back problems and cannot carry big computers. I have 3 questions :

1) What is the weight of the Pandora ? I've read many information about the dimensions of the device, but nothing about its weight. I already find my 280g Zaurus too heavy so...

2) How good is Pandora's keyboard ? Is it a keyboard similar to those found on phones or Nokia N810 (which is IMHO pretty poor) or is it of a similar quality to the Zaurus ones (I mean, the SL C1000 / C3x00 mini-labtop series) ?

More generally, would Pandora be useable for type-intensive tasks like text-processing or coding ? I frequently use my Zaurus for such tasks, such as taking note in a meeting ot writing novels. I have some concerns about the number of keys ; some images I seen show a Pandora without Control key for example. I definitely need a Control key (C-s, C-c, C-v and so on) and at least 2 other keys for composing French accentuated characters.

3) What about connecting Pandora to a video projector / beamer ? I use a CompactFlash => VGA card on my Zaurus for showing presentation during meeting. I've read that Pandora has S-video / Composite video output but not VGA. Is it possible to connect to a video-projector through S-video / Composite ?

Or is there some SMALL S-video / Composite / USB => VGA converter ? All the ones I've found on Internet are about as big as Pandora itself...

Thank you for your replies !

Jiba said:
3) What about connecting Pandora to a video projector / beamer ? I use a CompactFlash => VGA card on my Zaurus for showing presentation during meeting. I've read that Pandora has S-video / Composite video output but not VGA. Is it possible to connect to a video-projector through S-video / Composite ?

I've been a Video Jockey and have used a LOT of different types of projectors. My experience is that most of them have Composite and/or svideo in ports. The question is, however, what the quality of the projection is. Probably good for movies and that kind of stuff but, for example, a spreadsheet will probably get a bit fuzzy and difficult to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The exact weight is not yet known as there are a few physical parts that have not been manufactured yet. The cases displayed so far have been rapid prototype one-offs, and are (probably) not made of the same plastic and are not to the exact demensions of the final cases. Since a good portion of the Pandora's mass is taken up with battery, it's a good bet that it will be heavier than anything else of a similar size. The original DS weighed 275g, and the Pandora will likely weigh at least that much - probably more.

2. As the keypad membrane has not been manufactured yet, nobody knows exactly how the keypad will feel. However, I can guarantee it will not compare to the Zaurus. It is far too small to touch-type on. It is meant for thumb-typing like a blackberry or sidekick. The Zaurus had individual hinges under each key like a laptop keyboard, the Pandora will not. Key action will be more similar to a cell phone or Nokia tablet.

3. It may be possible to use a USB-VGA adapter, but until some can be tested, there is no guarantee. If your projector has an S-Video input, that is your best bet for now. The devs are considering the possibility of a docking station that may provide additional video connections, but at this time it is only "considering". If this is a deal breaker for you, then I wouldn't count on it.

Back