Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Ugh.. From what I have seen it's always one way or the other with Gph.. Why can't they add both a dpad and an analog nub... or two ;)
I hate that they are using the same SoC... There have been cellphones more powerful than the Wiz for a loooooooooooooong time....

If Caanoo(n) has touchscreen, I bet that has no room for the stylus (as for F200   :D ).

And is it powered by EXT <-> Usb ?

And has it a 2000Mah Li-ion battery ? 

And no working TV-Out ?

And phantasmagoric color variants & superb stickers ?

Now imagine that in a couple of months the GPH goes bankrupt, and ED' store & Craig' store will have to earn mainly by Pandora sales, Dingoo, and some other device.

[/devil off]

I want my Wifi dongle for the Wiz, now. Without it, the Wiz is just useless - to develop for - in my opinion.

Mine is gathering dust simply because its a nuisance to put stuff on it in between edit/compile cycles. With WLAN, it'd get a *lot* more attention ..

torpor said:
I want my Wifi dongle for the Wiz, now. Without it, the Wiz is just useless - to develop for - in my opinion.

Mine is gathering dust simply because its a nuisance to put stuff on it in between edit/compile cycles. With WLAN, it'd get a *lot* more attention ..

want it, too!

when is release time? c'mon GPH lots of people are waiting for the dongle and you already have it, right? otherwise there wouldnt be the drivers in the SDK! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, to clear some things up:

It has a touchscreen, yes.
The switch to the LCD was for various reasons - one was a high failout rate of OLEDs on the WIZ (see all those black pixel threads) which was very cost intensive.

This is NOT their groundbreaking new handheld (that one will take a while), it's basically an upgrade to the WIZ. The software will be mostly compatible, as will the WiFi dongle.

Another feature the Caanoo has that nobody mentioned: A normal USB-Host port. You can plugin your USB-stick (it's on the bottom-left side).

As it's compatible with the WIZ, it's not such a bad thing - see it similar to the F200 compared to the F100. Some new features, but basically same device.
The only thing I couldn't understand was the analog stick... but depending on how well it is, it could be useful as digital stick as well. I haven't tried anything except for the menu, but the stick felt very good for an analog stick.

Together with the Caanoo, FunGP should finally open it's doors in August. I've seen it and it works, so it's almost finished and ready to go. The Korean Developer-Version is already online.

EvilDragon said:
This is NOT their groundbreaking new handheld (that one will take a while)...
I'm guessing you know about this? I'm not expecting you to leak any details but how long is a 'while'? 6 months? A year?
:)

quote said:
EvilDragon said:
This is NOT their groundbreaking new handheld (that one will take a while)...
I'm guessing you know about this? I'm not expecting you to leak any details but how long is a 'while'? 6 months? A year?
:)

It is still in VERY early development stages.
They're currently concentrating on the Caanoo and FunGP - they got 30 games ready they want to release on FunGP until the end of the year.
Most (if not all) run on both the WIZ and the Caanoo.

Last edited:
I bought my Wiz about a month ago for $149.99 and I absolutely love it, but this news about the Caanoo upsets me a bit.

I don't want to make any judgements until after the Caanoo is offcially shown at E3, but as of right now I feel that I might have waited to buy this instead of the Wiz if I knew it was being released so soon. In some ways I now feel like I basically threw my money away because I would rather have spent it on this new Caanoo if it is indeed better than the Wiz, especially if it was being sold for a similar price. This doesn't mean that I'm upset with my Wiz in any way though. I just want the better product that's all. It's just too soon for a replacement. I didn't think that my Wiz could become obsolete so quickly.

As for the leaked images of the Caanoo go I really like the bigger screen and the button layout. As far as the analog or digital stick goes I guess I could go either way on that one compared to a standard 4 way control like the Wiz has.

Hopefully this thing will have a TV/Out function. If it does I might have to replace my Wiz ASAP. Then again I would only do that if the community decides to jump on the Caanoo bandwagon and forgets that the Wiz ever existed. If the Caanoo does indeed support the same programs as the Wiz does I guess it wouldn't be that bad because it would mean that they won't have to be ported once again. You guys did a great job porting some of stuff from the older GPH models onto the Wiz. I really doubt that you would want to have to do that once again in such a short period of time between the release of these consoles.

Is anyone planning on buying this to replace their Wiz? If you do are you going to try and sell your Wiz?

I'm still confused about what I should do, but like I said I will have to wait until after E3 to decide.

As much as I like that it has 128 megs of RAM I don't really see any reason for me to buy this. I like that it has the larger GP2X screen, but I still have my F100 GP2X and it's hard for me to use it after having a Wiz. The colors are just so much better on the Wiz even if it is on a smaller screen. I also like the Wiz for how small it is. It's nice taking it places. Haha it was really hard having the F100 in my pocket. I do have a question regarding the extra RAM. With this device having double the RAM would it improve the speed of anything besides mainly some stuff Pickle mentioned? We might not have to finally do graphics dumps for GNGeo2x or FBA2x which will be nice, and possibly a decent web browser using the (I don't know why ) external wifi device. I don't remember if there was a price point for this but I have a feeling it's going to launch for more than the Wiz did. I did buy mine around June of last year for only $169.99 in the U.S. but I have a feeling that this is going to be over the $200 mark.

JAX1975 said:
I bought my Wiz about a month ago for $149.99 and I absolutely love it, but this news about the Caanoo upsets me a bit.

I don't want to make any judgements until after the Caanoo is offcially shown at E3, but as of right now I feel that I might have waited to buy this instead of the Wiz if I knew it was being released so soon.

This is the way of most technology - tomorrow, there will be something better. So why not wait? Whenever you buy something, there WILL be something else just around the corner - whether you "know" about it now or not (that "know" is like that because you DO KNOW that SOMETHING will come out, you just don't know exactly when, at what price point, or by whom).

Your $150 buys you more than a specification. It buys you, as a Wiz owner, the ability to actually USE the equipment. An ability that you wouldn't have if you waited for the Canoe, or if you pre-ordered a Pandora. Until the Canoe actually comes out, every day you can use your Wiz you could consider "rental period" paid for out of your Wiz $150. When the Canoe is actually available, you have a choice - if it is better than your Wiz by enough, you could try and eBay your Wiz and buy a Canoe (just one of many hypothetical approaches really). Any "Loss" you make on the deal isn't really "loss" - that's just what your rental costs came to, for being to actually be able to PLAY Wiz games rather than just wait for something better.

The Canoe could be a LONG way away for all we know. It's due to be unveiled at E3, yes, but Pandora was announced a long time ago too - and is only just now starting to go out to pre-order customers. For all we know, you might get another 6 months, even a year out of the Wiz before you have an opportunity to buy a Canoe (unexpected delays happen!).

IMHO, it's better to have got a Wiz in the hand than a Canoe in the bush.

@Monk

Good post. It's allways a pleasure to see some intelligent people here posting.

Ari64 said:
Also their lack of support for developers and constant GPL-violating really pisses me off.

Are you a Wiz developer? Many developers get free Wiz and devbords and documents. Perhaps Orkie, Peter, Pickle or Exophase can confirm your statement?
What GPL violation you are talking about? And please don't again a quote from craigix aka Mr. Two Month as I don't think that that source is very reliable...

sbock said:
Ari64 said:
Also their lack of support for developers and constant GPL-violating really pisses me off.

Are you a Wiz developer? A loot of developers get free Wiz and devbords and documents. Perhaps Orkie, Peter, Pickle or Exophase can confirm your statement?
What GPL violation you are talking about? And please don't again a quote from craigix aka Mr. Two Month as I don't think that that source is very reliable...

So when legal action was started against me (and I think Ed) due to GPHs GPL violation, we were just imagining it were we?

torpor said:
EvilDragon: got any clue when the Wifi adapter for Wiz will be released?

No, I've got no idea.

sbock said:

The latest kernel sourcecode is still missing, AFAIK.

Last edited:
sbock said:
Ari64 said:

Are you a Wiz developer? Many developers get free Wiz and devbords and documents. Perhaps Orkie, Peter, Pickle or Exophase can confirm your statement?
No, I gave up on GPH after I bought a GP2X. I was never able to code much of anything for it because I couldn't get the usb-net to work properly.

sbock said:
The kernel source. Not being able to recompile the kernel easily was one of the reasons I was never able to figure out how to get networking working.

Wiii, my game got noticed. Thanks crow_riot ;)

On topic:

I think it sends a bad signal not to have released the wifi adapter before talking about a new console, but to GPH's defense, this news was leaked, so it is not (entirely) their fault. The end result is the same though. Me (and probably many others) am very disappointed the wifi is still vaporware, yet there is time to work on new consoles. I think far to little focus is placed on their current userbase.

I, for one like the idea of an analogue stick (if it is of any reasonable quality), but i have come to learn that emulation is the main driving force behind these devices, so at the cost of my potential userbase (for my games), i'm not sure i'm happy with it. It is a double edged sword. I would love to make some games using analogue input. I also like the G-sensor, but that can't add much to the price. As a developer, it is nice to have the option.

I am disappointed they're going back to TFT. It is also a damn shame they haven't built in the wifi. If for no other reason, we wouldn't have to wait for it :)

Lets all hope there won't be several months where they have NO product available, like with the switch from f200 to wiz!

*back to coding*

Back