Caanoo At E3

i don't know if anyone's posted a link to this yet, it's the caanoo playing a network game using the usb port:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGoAZZWf-A

Last edited by a moderator:
t money thanks for the vid. At least I hadn't seen that one before. I like the fact that they're actually doing this kind of videos. I think Tony Han is doing a pretty good job as the PR guy.

The fact that it uses USB for the wifi is a bit worrying because I think it might cause them to delay eternally their Wiz proprietary port adapter. But who knows, maybe they'll get it done.

Since I don't follow the pandora section, have they managed to get networked games work like this yet? ie. online mame or whatnot. Hopefully they'll do it soon, so that those with GPH consoles can join them (depends on the devs obviously).

MilloCz said:
GPH propably doesn't know when stop
I bought Wiz,then dingo came,pandora,now Canoo.
Sorry? GPH only make the GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo. The Dingoo and Pandora are made by different people :) .

I think their upgrade cycles are reaching a nice steady level. If they make a new (next basemodel) one next year, and then release a revised model again after next year after that, then I think they have a chance of keeping the thing up-to-date enough. Also the way they stuffed extra inputs into it (accelometer and all) this time is promising.

Yes agree. GPH is following Nintendo, SONY, Microsoft with updated models of the same console. As long as the software are backwards compatible, I'm OK with upgrades.

u9i said:
I agree, as long as the software is compatible, it's great.
It's a good think only if every game for caanoo are compatible with Wiz but do you think 3D game come on the wiz?
The anwser is no!
GPH just don't care about wiz owner.

If people make an official game for the DS then Nintendo can ensure that the game doesn't do things in a way that will break on the next revision(s) but in the case of homebrew games for the GPH systems people do whatever they please. This of course leads to some games being compatible and some games doing things they cause them to crash on the next revision(s). GPH can't really be blamed for this as there is little they can do about it.

Peter R said:
If people make an official game for the DS then Nintendo can ensure that the game doesn't do things in a way that will break on the next revision(s) but in the case of homebrew games for the GPH systems people do whatever they please. This of course leads to some games being compatible and some games doing things they cause them to crash on the next revision(s). GPH can't really be blamed for this as there is little they can do about it.

if they had a full SDK released by the time they released the console, they could've ensured better backwards compatibility. so it's not the homebrew devs to blame alone :)

crow_riot said:
if they had a full SDK released by the time they released the console, they could've ensured better backwards compatibility. so it's not the homebrew devs to blame alone :)
Don't kid yourself, people would still hit the hardware directly. The 'SDK' has, and always will be, just a toolchain with SDL and that OpenGL ES library bundled. The lack of this supposed 'SDK' has never been an obstacle for anybody - there was never anything to gain by having it, or anything lost by not,

Orkie is right - who is using the official SDK anyway? It's GCC 4.0 IIRC while the unofficial ones are GCC 4.2 (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Software will never be 100 % compatible, because the Wiz has one more button than the Caanoo. I also don't trust GPH in working around the Dpad vs. Stick issue.

preorders are available in the EDs shop for 149€€ ... http://www.gp2x.de/shop/index.php/cPath/43

*edit*
the video on that page shows some nice (unannounced?) games, too. some of them look pretty good.

Back