Business Plan finished, ready to gather investors! (2011 - 09 - 09)

I know, everyone is :)

I'm waiting for one last quotation (a big one), I should get it within this week.

Then it's time to send out those plans :)

Good news, was just starting to wonder if I should ask about this.

Was also wondering if you had an answer regarding my earlier post in this thread.

Edit : Answered here

Last edited by a moderator:

I know, everyone is :)

I'm waiting for one last quotation (a big one), I should get it within this week.

Then it's time to send out those plans :)

Good news, was just starting to wonder if I should ask about this.

Was also wondering if you had an answer regarding my earlier post in this thread.

Not yet, I want to be sure I 100% answer this correct, and my tax consultant was away the last two days :)

Last edited:
This sounds good...$500 USD is still a bit high for dated technology, though. Are there plans to hopefully allow for a faster process/more ram and maybe charge 600USD for such a device?

This sounds good...$500 USD is still a bit high for dated technology, though. Are there plans to hopefully allow for a faster process/more ram and maybe charge 600USD for such a device?

You should read the last threads, that might answer your question...

To save you time, the answer is no, for now. Things might change after production gets regular and the current parts get used up, but that won't be for a while.

Why do people keep saying this technology is dated? I'm quite happy with my Pandora's gaming ability. The retro-goodness is amazing and I don't know why a 1+Ghz processor or dual core is so envied. I welcome upgrades when the parts on hand are all used up on Batch 2, 3 etc.

Preorders will start something around September 20th, as I will know the possible price tags by then.

My current enemy is the EUR / USD conversion rate.

The USD was at a stable 1,44 EUR for the last months. With this rate, the Pandora would be pretty interesting for investors.

During the last 10 days it fell down to 1,36 EUR. As most parts are bought in USD, this increases the production costs about 50.000 EUR and therefore make less profit, making it less and less attractive for investors.

That's also a reason I'd like to have investors from the community - they probably don't care that much about making more profit at the beginning (as long as they don't lose the investment), but also want to keep the project going.

Well, my hope is still that the EUR will rise again when I buy the parts :)

In an ideal case, the EUR will be low when looking for investors (that way, investing in USD is cheaper and more attractive) and will rise again when I buy the parts :)

Ok, if most of your components are in US$ why not price the Pandora in US$?? Then you are not putting the company at risk with currency fluctuation. I doubt you can afford to hedge US$/Euro pricing, so the simplest way is to be paid in the currency that most parts are purchased in. (And don't convert the payments into Euro's... keep them in a US$ account to pay parts.) You also save on currency exchange costs.

The added bonus is the price of the Pandora should be pretty stable in US$. Or more to the point it should only have to be adjusted when parts paid in US$ go up.

Ok, if most of your components are in US$ why not price the Pandora in US$?? Then you are not putting the company at risk with currency fluctuation. I doubt you can afford to hedge US$/Euro pricing, so the simplest way is to be paid in the currency that most parts are purchased in. (And don't convert the payments into Euro's... keep them in a US$ account to pay parts.) You also save on currency exchange costs.

The added bonus is the price of the Pandora should be pretty stable in US$. Or more to the point it should only have to be adjusted when parts paid in US$ go up.

Agreed 100%. This is of course more attractive for those of us who want to invest with USD as well.. The board assembly would still be in EUR though. Don't know if they're paying the Chinese companies in RMB or if they're accepting some other currency..

To save you time, the answer is no, for now. Things might change after production gets regular and the current parts get used up, but that won't be for a while.

Thanks, that does save time in trying to search the threads for an answer. I tend to only log in about once a week to see where the general direction of the pandora is going..and rarely read through far more than the first page.

Glad to hear all is moving forward ED.

Good luck hunting down investors, hopefully someone with open source vibes is keen to jump on the bandwagon and get this project rolling ahead smoothly.

i look forward to preordering on the 20th.

Not yet, I want to be sure I 100% answer this correct, and my tax consultant was away the last two days :)

Cheers ED, I've no problems waiting for an accurate response.

As for the questions of currency raised above then that does open a whole new can of worms. I can certainly see some good additional reasons for pricing the Pandora in US$ rather than € or £ such as :

The Pandora is aimed at a global market and the US$ is the closest thing we've got to a global currency.

Due to the current problems with the financial system in Europe it seems highly unlikely that the € will do anything other than fall in value. From my perspective (admittedly as an interested observer of reasonable intelligence rather than a financial expert) the avoidance of near enough total collapse of the € is reliant upon Italy (i.e. Berlusconi et al) behaving in an incredibly prudent manner. Expecting the Italian leadership to sacrifice short term popularity for long term stability seems to me to be an unrealistic goal.

The current problems with possible defaults from some of the P.I.G.S. (Portugal, Ireland, Greece & Spain) are likely to put a serious dent in the value of the Euro.

However, without having seen the Pandora business plan the benefits of selling the Pandora in US$ is of course mere speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

As for the questions of currency raised above then that does open a whole new can of worms. I can certainly see some good additional reasons for pricing the Pandora in US$ rather than € or £ such as :

The Pandora is aimed at a global market and the US$ is the closest thing we've got to a global currency.

Due to the current problems with the financial system in Europe it seems highly unlikely that the € will do anything other than fall in value. From my perspective (admittedly as an interested observer of reasonable intelligence rather than a financial expert) the avoidance of near enough total collapse of the € is reliant upon Italy (i.e. Berlusconi et al) behaving in an incredibly prudent manner. Expecting the Italian leadership to sacrifice short term popularity for long term stability seems to me to be an unrealistic goal.

The current problems with possible defaults from some of the P.I.G.S. (Portugal, Ireland, Greece & Spain) are likely to put a serious dent in the value of the Euro.

However, without having seen the Pandora business plan the benefits of selling the Pandora in US$ is of course mere speculation.

Mr. Loon if you're trolling i'd like you to stop. This is nor the place nor the objective of this forum.

if the company is based in germany why would he want to change currency to $US if all his financial and company dealings will be in germany which use €EUROs?

also since when does the $US currancy mean global currancy? there are many countries in the world and some bigger than the USA which dont use $US.

I hope this isnt one of those (US is the best in the world) things because that would just be silly.

No, actually, that idea is not THAT far away.

I could open a second USD account, pay companies where I get the bills in USD from that one, without having to deal with any conversion rate.

The EUR payments will be done from my main account.

It's not that unusual for bigger companies, but having an USD account in Germany costs quite a bit of money, so it probably doesn't make sense opening it up.

if the company is based in germany why would he want to change currency to $US if all his financial and company dealings will be in germany which use €EUROs?
Currency conversion can be expensive and prone to fluctuations. If all parts are ordered from companies that take money in USD it makes sense to have a stock of USD. If the largest portion of the cost is in USD then it makes more sense to have a larger stock of USD and convert to EUR when needed than to keep a large stock of EUR and convert to USD when needed. If the math does work out that way (which is impossible to know without ED's business plan, and even then it would include some fudge factors) then the best way to get that stock of USD would be to sell shares in USD. It makes the paperwork a little more difficult from the selling of shares perspective, but it can make the payment of dividends a hell of a lot easier because there's a smaller influence of currency exchange fluctuations.

Currency conversion can be expensive and prone to fluctuations. If all parts are ordered from companies that take money in USD it makes sense to have a stock of USD. If the largest portion of the cost is in USD then it makes more sense to have a larger stock of USD and convert to EUR when needed than to keep a large stock of EUR and convert to USD when needed. If the math does work out that way (which is impossible to know without ED's business plan, and even then it would include some fudge factors) then the best way to get that stock of USD would be to sell shares in USD. It makes the paperwork a little more difficult from the selling of shares perspective, but it can make the payment of dividends a hell of a lot easier because there's a smaller influence of currency exchange fluctuations.
Often times shops that do business in multiple markets will accept payment like that, then take money from the account with the most favorable exchange rate. Helping them to minimize the risks of currency conversion. Ultimately, when you're doing business across currencies, you ultimately have to deal with it in one way or another. Even if it's in a case like this where us in the US are balking by having to pay an extra 25% due to exchange rates.

Mr. Loon if you're trolling i'd like you to stop. This is nor the place nor the objective of this forum.

Hi Annales, rest assured that no trolling was intended, if it came across that way then please accept my apologies.

also since when does the $US currancy mean global currancy? there are many countries in the world and some bigger than the USA which dont use $US.

I hope this isnt one of those (US is the best in the world) things because that would just be silly.

You can like it, or you can lump it but the US$ is the closest thing we've got to a global currency. This is probably because on a country by country basis the US have by far the biggest economy . Not saying that's a good or bad thing, that's just the way it is.

As a fellow resident I'm pleased to report that the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire is of course the best country in the world. ;)

Back