Boomshine2x Gameplay Video

sam fisher said:
Yup. IMO mines better than Nagelfars, no offense Nagelfar, your's just doesn't feel "right" and going above level 9 is impossible. Furthermore, the sound is too slow and performance sketchy. Now I'm not one to call Java slow... joking!
Boy you sure turned acid all of a sudden :lol:

On-topic, I got to level 9, but ran out of batteries, although I did give it a fair number of tries. Perhaps Nagel could balance it by allowing explosions to remain up 200 more milliseconds? Not too much, but just enough. :)

Nice work Nagelfar, I like it a lot. The only things I'd recommend is to allow volume adjustment during transition screens (level title, well done, try again screens), and to let the player know that they passed a level as soon as they exploded the minimum of circles required.

I also see you scored a nice music track from the author of the original, definitely helps maintain the atmosphere.

Nagelfar said:
be it in Java, Fenix or C (if Alex. decides to continue working on his very promising dithered version)
So I could actually release something without you guys harbouring hard feelings towards me? :)

I'd better e-mail the author then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps Nagel could balance it by allowing explosions to remain up 200 more milliseconds? Not too much, but just enough. :)

Nice work Nagelfar, I like it a lot. The only things I'd recommend is to allow volume adjustment during transition screens (level title, well done, try again screens), and to let the player know that they passed a level as soon as they exploded the minimum of circles required.

I also see you scored a nice music track from the author of the original, definitely helps maintain the atmosphere.

Yeah, balance has to be worked on. I tried to replicate the web experience on the smaller screen and I think its almost working out as it is quite possible to reach level 11 but level 12 is almost undoable *g*
I also agree on your list of missing things, the volume thing has no priority but the "you did it" notification should be there. Also missing is the famous BOOMSHINE as I didn't manage yet to score one with the web game so I have no idea what it should look like *g*
The soundtrack is the same as in the webgame, you can download it for free.

So I could actually release something without you guys harbouring hard feelings towards me? :)

I'd better e-mail the author then.

I wouldn't mind, I can't guarantee for anyone else though :ph34r:
The author will be allright with it, I can tell you so much already, he just wants to see a good version of his game (idea) on the 2x :)

Nagelfar said:
Also missing is the famous BOOMSHINE as I didn't manage yet to score one with the web game so I have no idea what it should look like *g*
Ditto :lol:

Nagelfar said:
The soundtrack is the same as in the webgame, you can download it for free.
Ah, it plays quite distorted on the speakers, that's why I thought it was a different one haha.

Nagelfar said:
sam fisher said:
going above level 9 is impossible. Furthermore, the sound is too slow and performance sketchy.
Huh? I can easily reach Level 11. And sound is too slow? I can't follow you there either, sry. Concerning performance: I'm still waiting for you to release at least a playable demo or the whole game so I can test it and see, if I can make any improvements to my version but so far ... I don't really care if mine is worse or not, I just want the best experience to play this awesome game on the GP2x, be it in Java, Fenix or C (if Alex. decides to continue working on his very promising dithered version) and as of now mine IS doing better, as yours is doing a Duke Nukem Forever.

I released something playable way back. Fine, I'll crap out a newer version tomorrow.

He, I like the happenings in this thread :) why cant we just all get along and be happy?

PS: Sam, you are 200 posts away from 6666, which is actually pretty scary.

On-topic, I got to level 9, but ran out of batteries, although I did give it a fair number of tries. Perhaps Nagel could balance it by allowing explosions to remain up 200 more milliseconds? Not too much, but just enough. :)

Just uploaded the new version, some minor "schnickschnack" including a loading screen, an icon, the explosions stay a td bit longer, volume adjustments are better (no adjustment during Win or Lose Screen) and the screen fades to white as soon as you reach the required number of hits. Tell me what you think, is this releasable quality to put on the frontpage?
Link as always: http://www.nagelfar.com/boomshine2x/Boomshine2x.zip

Thanks for the new release. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels better than the last one, it feels like the full web game. Nice work! :)

Suggestions:
- limit the number of dark green and blue circles, as they look muddy when exploded
- perhaps increase the speed by which the circles move by a tiny bit (although it's largely fine as it is now)

Oh, and there are a couple of errors in the boomshine2x.txt file, here's a copy of mine: link

Alex. said:
Thanks for the new release. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels better than the last one, it feels like the full web game. Nice work! :)

Suggestions:
- limit the number of dark green and blue circles, as they look muddy when exploded
- perhaps increase the speed by which the circles move by a tiny bit (although it's largely fine as it is now)

Oh, and there are a couple of errors in the boomshine2x.txt file, here's a copy of mine: link

Yeah, I'll go more towards the pastels me thinks.

The errors are nothing special, its just a problem with sound if there are two sounds too close to each other (on the timescale) there's no free channel to play the sound, you probably won't even recognize it while playing :)

Hey guys,
I'm the creator of Boomshine, and I'd really like to post all the Boomshine clones on my site. Would all the authors please email me? k2xl@k2xl.com. I'd like to set up a site (www.k2xl.com/games/boomshine/gp2x ?)

Thanks! I saw the videos, looks awesome so far...
Stay tuned for Boomshine 2 :).

-Danny

*Waits for Nickspoon to pick up on this and release SpoonShine2x*

Quiest said:
Woohoo. Too bad I`m not releasing mine (I don`t wanna make Sam cry again :D j/k)
Na, go ahead, i'm busy with school i'm afraid.

purple_goat said:
Quiest said:
Woohoo. Too bad I`m not releasing mine (I don`t wanna make Sam cry again :D j/k)
NOOOOooooo!
please release yours! [****] sam!

[****] you. You and your shitty logos that are just screen shots of the bloody game.

sam fisher said:
Quiest said:
Na, go ahead, i'm busy with school i'm afraid.

purple_goat said:
Quiest said:
NOOOOooooo!
please release yours! [****] sam!

[****] you. You and your shitty logos that are just screen shots of the bloody game.

Jeeez, calm down, I don't like PG too much either but it works best if you just ignore him.
So, busy with school, no chance we gt to see your version, I was waiting with the official release of mine, just in case I wanted to steal some of your shit :unsure:

I'm having trouble here with Nagelfar's version.

I've followed the instructions for installation, but it takes an absolute *age* to start up - more than 5 minutes (I get a brief SDL pointer at about the 2 minute mark).

The sound is way too slow - the music sounds totally different to the web version, though when the .ogg is played in winamp, it's fine. The sounds in general are played too slow. There's also very annoying stutters during the game, and when a lot of circles are expanding, the game slows to a crawl - this begins at around level 3 and get progressively worse.

So either my java setup is screwed (unlikely, it's a fresh install), or perhaps java wasn't the best language to code this in?

It's a shame, because it's quite well done (apart from the lack of antialiasing on the circle edges and the completely wrong colour scheme ;-) )

D.

I don't get such long loading times, it's usually 10 seconds or less. The music does play slower than normally though, I think Sam noticed that as well.

Dunny said:
when a lot of circles are expanding, the game slows to a crawl - this begins at around level 3 and get progressively worse.
For me slight slowdowns only occur from level 8 onwards... Slight slowdowns, not noticeable at all really.

Alex. said:
I don't get such long loading times, it's usually 10 seconds or less. The music does play slower than normally though, I think Sam noticed that as well.

Dunny said:
when a lot of circles are expanding, the game slows to a crawl - this begins at around level 3 and get progressively worse.
For me slight slowdowns only occur from level 8 onwards... Slight slowdowns, not noticeable at all really.

Mine is slowdown free all the way upto level 12 last I checked *dances*

Back