Boomshine2x

there's nothing wrong with the music. there's a cool sounding key change before the "A" section ends. it's clearly intentional, and the fact that someone would think that was "off" makes me afraid to go out and be a musician.

whatever.

rokdcasbah said:
there's nothing wrong with the music. there's a cool sounding key change before the "A" section ends. it's clearly intentional, and the fact that someone would think that was "off" makes me afraid to go out and be a musician.

whatever.
Without being told where the music is off, you picked the exact spot I'm talking about out of the whole tune. If it wasn't off, I wonder how you knew which part it was.

The note is correct but it's a full 2 octaves off. If that's intentional, then it goes from being a mistake to bad composition.

Whatever indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher said:
Sadly, I am not a musician and did not write the musical score :( I do however believe I have heard this "off" note.
Nontheless, it's a great game and believe it or not is involved in most of the time given to the gp2x as my wife tries to top my high score.

poodle said:
Without being told where the music is off, you picked the exact spot I'm talking about out of the whole tune. If it wasn't off, I wonder how you knew which part it was.

The note is correct but it's a full 2 octaves off. If that's intentional, then it goes from being a mistake to bad composition.

Whatever indeed.
well, maybe i don't actually know what you're talking about, since i was only guessing. i'm hearing a quick shift to a new key center, it's very chromatic and resolves right back down to the original key. like instead of V-I or IV-I it goes bII-I or something similar. didn't notice any weird octave jumps but i'll listen again. what i'm hearing is the entire thing shifting, the background piano notes which are like arpeggiated chords, as well as a pad-like chord on top.

sorry to be so cranky about it, but read your post as, there's this weird chord change and i don't like it so it must be wrong...you're entitled to that but it still hits a nerve with me. it reminded me of the people saying "i like everything except rap/country/polka"...in my warped mind, pop is pop. or people talking about guys like linkin park being genre-busters...so they mixed pop with pop? how innovative. i often have to hold my tongue when i hear this shit, so i guess it bottled up until it became a blind uncontrollable german-unreal-tournament-kid rage.

for the record, the tune reminds me a little bit of that new-age-y/john-tesh-y sound...which doesn't thrill me but it's very fitting and so it's successful i think in that regard.

so, my bad. ever heard the beatles song "i want to tell you"? almost the same thing, there's a purposefully written super tense/sour interval (i think it's a major and minor 6th in the same chord. jazz music will have it in a 13th chord but it doesn't sound so "off" in a jazz context). anyway i just love stuff like that.

ok, back on topic: great work sam.

But you do know exactly what I was talking about. You described the part in question without any clue at all.

"sorry to be so cranky about it, but read your post as, there's this weird chord change and i don't like it so it must be wrong...you're entitled to that but it still hits a nerve with me. "

Uh, yeah. Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said I didn't like it or that it's wrong because I don't like it. I didn't ever express my like or dislike for the music. I said, "
At one point the music hits an off key. If you listen closely there is one note that is way, way off. Who cares though?

"it reminded me of the people saying "i like everything except rap/country/polka"...in my warped mind, pop is pop. or people talking about guys like linkin park being genre-busters...so they mixed pop with pop? how innovative. i often have to hold my tongue when i hear this shit, so i guess it bottled up until it became a blind uncontrollable german-unreal-tournament-kid rage."

Uhm... ok. You took one line with me saying something about the music and drew these gigantic assumptions, started playing the game over and over to listen to the music again and again, then came on here and created a complete strawman argument to get something that has nothing to do with me, or really even this game, off of your chest. Unplug a little.

"there's nothing wrong with the music. there's a cool sounding key change before the "A" section ends. it's clearly intentional, and the fact that someone would think that was "off" makes me afraid to go out and be a musician.

whatever."

Yeah, and even the guy that put the music in the game says he can hear the "off" part.
Get a grip, seriously.

How...how did this become a flame war?

Calm the egos, seriously! This is about Sam's excellent adaptation! Not about who was right or wrong! Stop it now, or I will have to speak to your parents.

I just bought a GP2X and Boomshine2x was one of the first games I tried. Boomshine2x is an extremely fun game and additive. The music fits perfect. The people I showed the game to wouldn't let my GP2X go until the finished the 12th board.

I cannot wait for a new version with more boards. Also, after playing through a few times, the movement of the orbs needs to be modified slightly so there is more thought needed to when to start your bomb. As of right now, its fairly easy to achieve the goal (it is extremely satisfying to watch the chain extend across the screen).

Again, thank you for a great game!!

Fueler said:
I just bought a GP2X and Boomshine2x was one of the first games I tried. Boomshine2x is an extremely fun game and additive. The music fits perfect. The people I showed the game to wouldn't let my GP2X go until the finished the 12th board.

I cannot wait for a new version with more boards. Also, after playing through a few times, the movement of the orbs needs to be modified slightly so there is more thought needed to when to start your bomb. As of right now, its fairly easy to achieve the goal (it is extremely satisfying to watch the chain extend across the screen).

Again, thank you for a great game!!
Thank you very much :) It's comments like the ones from this great community that lead so such large amounts of awesome releases because everyone is so nice!

Miika said:
Good game, but I was disappointed when I got the message "You have completed Boomshine2x".
I need more levels! Maybe even some extra mode after you completed it.
Fantastic game but was also disappointed on completion :(

Not sure of how you could increase the levels other than to change the progession thats already there to smaller steps.

A continuous mode (new balls being added) could be fun as well and could do progession eg get 30 balls in 1 min then next lvl is 40 balls in 1 min etc.

Maybe a "special" ball/s with twice the blast radius, just throwing out ideas.

Anyway love it 100% :)

I had some other people play the game and they loved it. The first couple levels are crucial as by the 3rd level they understood the game.

Suggestion: First time through one person got to level 12 without failing. This should change after the 3rd level. I have not gone through the logic but it should be possible to start the motion of the orbs and starting location such that once put in motion only certain spots and times during their movement pattern should cause a chain of explosions. Also, having different types of bombs, ie colors, do different things. One could be that exploding white causes the explosion and all attached explosions to be warped so that either/and X and Y axis flipped.

They all enjoyed the chain of explosions growing larger and across the playing field. The most liked it when it looked as if the chain would die but continued since one orb touched the explosion just as it about finished and started a new chain.

Suggestion: Display score as orbs explode. The scoring needs to be emphasized as big numbers and animated so that it will cause excitement. Give bonuses when only one orb is left and its decreasing in size with only 20% of largest size left. Also, accent with different piano sound, higher note, or a sequence of notes if something special occurs.

Suggestion: Have special stationary orbs that explode for extra points. Once that orb explodes another orb either turns into a special orb or another one is spawned.

Back