Boomshine2x

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
Boomshine2x is my entry to the GBAX 2007 competition. It is an officialy endorsed clone of a popular flash game called Boomshine, hence my extremely original name ;).

The aim of the game is to cause a chain reaction of explosions large enough to complete the levels. This becomes increasingly diffucult as you progress through the 12 levels. The game is meant to be relaxing but can sometimes be infuriating when you are so close to completing the last level but keep failing. This is the first proper game i've made, so I don't expect it to be great but I personally dont think its too bad ;)

Heres a screenshot of my title screen:

screenshot12jw0.png

Download

I got 294!

I only missed one ball on the last level (and only by 2 pixels... maaaan I wanted a perfect level.)

cool game. Loved the music.

I think 293 was the highest i got so far. I think you did a great job on this. runs pretty smoothly and just feels right.

are there any other boomshine clones coming out? I know there is a java one but that seems to run kind of slow. fenix doesn't seem to work well with tv out so it would be nice to have a version i could play on my tv.

Good work Sam! The game runs very well and is very fun and relaxing, you certainly gave Nagelfar a run for his money :) Nice idea to be able to accelerate the cursor.

Here's a few suggestions:

- don't allow balls to travel at right angles
- allow to skip transition screens by pressing X or something

PS: my current hiscore is 287

Good work, the game feels like it's spot on. I haven't gotten to the higher levels yet, but so far I haven't seen any lagging. I like your opening screen as well, tasteful. Great remake.

Good Game, Sam. I thought the music was awesome. I particularly liked how the balls made piano sounds along with the music when they popped.

I noticed that in the later levels though, it was pretty easy to get a chain reaction, simply because there were soooo many balls on the screen.

Still, it was a very nice experience. Maybe you could add some backgrounds in there. It looks like you already figured out how to do transparencies. Also Maybe more music themes, (underwater with harp chords).

Nice work!

You can use your own background if you name it "bg.png" and put it in the data folder. I intend to improve and enhance this and allow the choice to colour the background with a solid colour. I may also increase the speed the explosions shrink at and possibly increase the balls size slightly.

Thank you for all the compliments and suggestions :)

This is one of my faves so far. Good job! As others have said, the music and sound effect blending is very nice. I like the fact you can just keep trying as long as you like, no concept of "lives".

Pete

sam fisher said:
I may also increase the speed the explosions shrink at and possibly increase the balls size slightly.
Very good idea. I think the explosions certainly shrink way too slowly.

Aside from that, it's a really fun game :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good game, but I was disappointed when I got the message "You have completed Boomshine2x".
I need more levels! Maybe even some extra mode after you completed it.

Miika said:
Good game, but I was disappointed when I got the message "You have completed Boomshine2x".
I need more levels! Maybe even some extra mode after you completed it.

Me too , this is a really good entry. Very relaxing and suitable music to go along with it.
My high score is 284.

Good job :)

I found a small bug: when you press L+R during a game, it brings you back to the main menu. However, if you start a new game, you start from the level you quit the previous game (the score is reset to 0 however).

Also, as a simple idea, check that the rectangles formed by two circles overlap before calling a squareroot function for the exact collision. Perhaps you did this already, if so then my bad :)

I'm cheating and using fenix's collision funtion. It's probably very inefficient. I may aswell change that eventually :)

Good job finding that bug, i'll update the game to fix that now.

Edit: Done, just need ED to approve the file update on the archive.

This is by far the best game of the compition , any chance you will add some extra levels ,maybe go up to 150 :) Thanks Bud

budbud said:
This is by far the best game of the compition , any chance you will add some extra levels ,maybe go up to 150 :) Thanks Bud
150 levels, or 150 balls? Adding more levels is simple enough :) I could even add the reading of levels from a text file I suppose :)

There are new game modes planned aswell :)

Hey!

It's really a great game. I tried it out yesterday. I would love to see more game modes and levels of it. I really like the music, because it's really relaxing.

Do you have any ingame screenshots of it? I wanted to add a review of it on my website if you don't mind.

Back