Blurp - The GP32X Downtime Status Thread

WarmFluffyUK said:
I think you underestimate our user base, nobody has yet gotten confused with our huge array of current supported devices, and I think the Pandora and Wiz are quite different machines. I can imagine you might be correct that people would be confused between different GP2X versions, but unlikely between the Wiz and Pandora.
You have made me see sense. I no longer differ.

Btw, for anyone who cares: I'm an atheist :p (with all the meanings of the word)

Now on-topic (were we ever really off-topic?)
I still think that Invision's CMS isn't ideal for the gp32x-forums. I mean, PHP doesn't just break if you don't modify its code (and an update shouldn't break code if its tested intensively enough), or if a database corruption occurs (and then you have db backups). I've managed 4 forums (with around ~200 users) and 3 homepages in my time and I've never gotten problems like this. But then the problem might somehow lie with the high traffic of gp32x...

WarmFluffyUK said:
I think you underestimate our user base, nobody has yet gotten confused with our huge array of current supported devices, and I think the Pandora and Wiz are quite different machines. I can imagine you might be correct that people would be confused between different GP2X versions, but unlikely between the Wiz and Pandora.
I think that you over-estimate your userbase. How many threads were moved from panda to wiz & vice versa, and gp2x, and gp32 <_<

And the lazy posting is already happening here. Off topic in specific forums. Off topic posts in threads, just because a user can't be arsed to create a new thread in the right place and starts "btw, this is ot but ..."

gp32rich said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
I think that you over-estimate your userbase. How many threads were moved from panda to wiz & vice versa, and gp2x, and gp32 <_<

And the lazy posting is already happening here. Off topic in specific forums. Off topic posts in threads, just because a user can't be arsed to create a new thread in the right place and starts "btw, this is ot but ..."
btw, this is ot but i was wondering if you actually think that having 2 separate forums would fix this problem? Also, your whole post is off topic.

For me, the most important point is, that there would be a central place to discuss software etc. if there was an offical, special forum
Right now the community seems to be split over multiple forums, GA moved to this place for example while other projects stay at gp32x. I try my best to provide my own homepage for my projects with major updates and smaller discussions on other forums and social-sites while maintaining the biggest community (gp32x normally, this forum right now) with exclusive, minor updates.
A pandora forum could also be integrated into the pandora homepage design and layout wise. Possibly sharing accounts with an offical wikipedia, the file archive etc.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Thanks Ed, but I got some reservations about Invasion blaming the service provider, unless of course the updated IPB requires some PHP modules that the provider does not support. I am wondering if Invasion can give Hando a list of the correct requirements, and if his host cannot meet that then you or even I could probably meet that ourselves.

Well, the difference is that his host probably won't change some stuff that HAS to be changed due to some reasons (security, bandwidth, etc.).
It's always a problem if you don't run a dedicated server.

As I'm admin for my server, I can install whatever I want. If it needs any special modules, I can simply install them. If it needs a special PHP config, I can adjust it.

I'd rather keep gp32x.de on the old servers, it's always quite a hazzle moving such big database over... and I hope that long downtime does mean that the host is currently setting up the server completely new (because to me it doesn't sound like some PHP module issue but like some very strange server issue... maybe during the last DDoS they got some trojan which they managed to fix a bit by disabling certain services... after all, after the last DDoS the ' were screwed up which means at least the MAGIC QUOTES in php.ini had been changed.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Thanks Ed, but I got some reservations about Invasion blaming the service provider, unless of course the updated IPB requires some PHP modules that the provider does not support. I am wondering if Invasion can give Hando a list of the correct requirements, and if his host cannot meet that then you or even I could probably meet that ourselves.
Well, the difference is that his host probably won't change some stuff that HAS to be changed due to some reasons (security, bandwidth, etc.).
It's always a problem if you don't run a dedicated server.

As I'm admin for my server, I can install whatever I want. If it needs any special modules, I can simply install them. If it needs a special PHP config, I can adjust it.

I'd rather keep gp32x.de on the old servers, it's always quite a hazzle moving such big database over... and I hope that long downtime does mean that the host is currently setting up the server completely new (because to me it doesn't sound like some PHP module issue but like some very strange server issue... maybe during the last DDoS they got some trojan which they managed to fix a bit by disabling certain services... after all, after the last DDoS the ' were screwed up which means at least the MAGIC QUOTES in php.ini had been changed.
Huh, I didn't know that was a php issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
JayFoxRox said:
For me, the most important point is, that there would be a central place to discuss software etc. if there was an offical, special forum
Right now the community seems to be split over multiple forums, GA moved to this place for example while other projects stay at gp32x. I try my best to provide my own homepage for my projects with major updates and smaller discussions on other forums and social-sites while maintaining the biggest community (gp32x normally, this forum right now) with exclusive, minor updates.

That would never happen, because there will always be people who would use DCEmu, GP32Spain, etc. for posting their stuff.

JayFoxRox said:
A pandora forum could also be integrated into the pandora homepage design and layout wise. Possibly sharing accounts with an offical wikipedia, the file archive etc.

Yea, we saw how well that worked with the GP2X website. Sure, they had a pathetic excuse for a forum, but that wasn't the only reason people didn't use it.

-God Ginrai

Username said:
gp32rich said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

btw, this is ot but i was wondering if you actually think that having 2 separate forums would fix this problem? Also, your whole post is off topic.
btw, my life is ot

um ... no. Until you educate users by gentle mod-prodding where they should and should post stuff the situation will continue and the mods will have to cope with pedantic users reporting posts.

And then there are some that just won't listen <_<

Well, it's Tuesday. We're at Blurp Plus 7 Days.

I could make a snarky comment, or some constructive criticism, I just don't have the energy for either right now... :(

EvilDragon said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

*withholds adjectives describing the whole situation*

Just how big is this database gzipped anyways?

EDIT: I give up on the no snarky comments.... Stupid me for actually caring.

Every day GP32x is down the community is haemorrhaging. Every day GP32x is down means lost future Pandora sales. Of course, you won't be able to see how badly until it comes back up.

If GP32x is truly to be the banner for the community, it needs to come back up NOW. Even if it means reverting to the old version while all the server glitches are worked out, or a transition to a new server is made. The upgrade should be made in parallel on a test server, and once the glitches are worked out transition shouldn't last more than a few hours.

I know ED may be holding off so as not to hurt hando's feelings, but the bus number is still one. More than 24h downtime after an unsuccessful transition to a new server version is negligent and embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're just projecting your insecurity about the situation onto the entire community. This is not going to impact future Pandora sales. Sure, there are people who will be confused when the forums go down, but once they see big progress on the major tech blogs, they'll come back to a new and improved (and working) forum. I mean, sure, a few sales might be lost, not nothing in comparison to the major catastrophe that you're insinuating.

TrevorBradley said:
Every day GP32x is down means lost future Pandora sales. Of course, you won't be able to see how badly until it comes back up.
Compare this little tragedy to the bank problems (we'll maybe have the statistics sooner or later), and you'll realize how insignificant the forum's week of downtime is.

dflemstr said:
Compare this little tragedy to the bank problems (we'll maybe have the statistics sooner or later), and you'll realize how insignificant the forum's week of downtime is.

Or the life expectancy reducing stress I'm going through right now...

I'm sorry guys, I have some *really* bad shit(tm) going down in real life right now, with no place to vent it. It's not fair I'm doing it here.

I'll excuse myself from the internet for a while, I think.

TrevorBradley said:
dflemstr said:

Or the life expectancy reducing stress I'm going through right now...

I'm sorry guys, I have some *really* bad shit(tm) going down in real life right now, with no place to vent it. It's not fair I'm doing it here.

I'll excuse myself from the internet for a while, I think.

Find a neopets forum or something and just start flaming. That'll get your spirits up. ;P

-God Ginrai

Whats this about loosing Pandora sales due to the GP32x downtime? Fuck Pandora sales. GP32x is only a tiny bit to do with the Pandora. It's also about a large amount of other things a whole lot more.

Peter R said:
Whats this about loosing Pandora sales due to the GP32x downtime? Fuck Pandora sales. GP32x is only a tiny bit to do with the Pandora. It's also about a large amount of other things a whole lot more.

Dude. Chill. He's not trying to put down GP32x. Don't get defensive - it's just making you sound like a whiny fanboy. He's just citing that as a reason why he believes that the OP team should make a separate forum for the Pandora.

Vorporeal said:
He's just citing that as a reason why he believes that the OP team should make a separate forum for the Pandora.

Not true. I'm on board with a single forum for open handhelds, and I'm down with that forum being gp32x. I'd even go an extra step and suggest these forums should be taken offline once gp32x is robust again. I don't care what the name of that forum is, or where the server is located, or to a certain degree who maintains it (I see the point of those who don't want the Panda crew to be involved with the site), but I want it to be robust and solid and make open held gaming (of all types) take over the world. The users from various consoles can get a bit gripey and downright nasty at times, but the developer base for these different consoles are excellent, and the developer groups shouldn't be split up because different gaming systems have different brand names on the outside.

I was attempting to encourage everyone on both sides of the debate that getting this new, unifying server up and online. IMO, the longer it's offline, the less legitimate it becomes as that home for open source handheld development.

I'm passionate about the subject, and I'd rather help than hinder, and at the moment it's frustrating to wait on the sidelines. I'm concerned the longer this goes on, the less likely the server will come back up. Or more mindshare of developers will move to this site and not want to move back to gp32x after the feelgood moment of hando coming back.

That and I've got this other bug up my ass that laid eggs and had babies that were very hungry, grew up into teenagers who invited all their bug friends over to an intestinal kegger and trashed the place.* All of that is boiling over into all other parts of my life and it sucks to all fuck. I'm trying my hardest not to lash out at everybody, and recently it's been hard to tell when I've been going over the line.

* (Actually that sounds somewhat more appealing than what's actually going on, but TMI.)

TrevorBradley said:
IMO, the longer it's offline, the less legitimate it becomes as that home for open source handheld development.
It's been online for seven years, what's a week or two of downtime? :)

Back