Blurp - The GP32X Downtime Status Thread

Peter R said:
OpenSource != insecure

However,

phpBB == insecure....
I know enough programming to know that that's some sort of programming joke, but I'm fucking lost on this one. I'm guessing != means not equal? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter R said:
OpenSource != insecure

However,

phpBB == insecure....
I know, Linux is open source and very secure as the whole community works hard to make it so. But currently Linux is not the mass OS choice. It will be very different if Linux was though as a lot more people would be working against it, mainly for money.

Agreed about PHPBB though...

Username said:
I know enough programming to know that that's some sort of programming joke, but I'm fucking lost on this one. I'm guessing != means not equal? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

!= means NOT EQUALS, some languages use <>, Peter is quite often a little pedantic: Sorry Pete :p

Had to look up pedantic <_<. I really should try to work on my programming, I'm supposed to be learning it at school but end up just copying all of the work. I think I'd learn it better at home though.

I agree that phpBB sucks, but it has got better recently due to people like myself breaking forums and reporting their findings. Just wait till a spam bot or two hops onto this forum though...

(!= is from Java, so anybody saying != is slow and silly and interpreted however you like)

But saying that, I administer a few open sourced forums (a few powered by simple machines) and have had real problems with spambots, regardless of any CAPTCHA sign-up protection, but I have never been *hacked*. I've known many a Invision forum get *hacked* so bad, that even after being fixed, some features do not work. Oh wait, is that not what happened to gp32x in the first place? :p

!= is also used in some pseudo assembler instructions, C, C++, ...
We even use != in school so its not even a programmers thing anymore (if it ever was)

SMF seems to be pretty stable and good, atleast I know some big communities which use it without problems.

Okay, some updates from hando:

IPB managed to get the boards working somehow, however, terribly slow with a lot of timeouts (as you might have seen if you visited during the online-time).
They think the server is having serious problems - however, the server is not a dedicated one so hando can't do much.
At the moment, hando tries to fix everything with the server company, if that doesn't work out, he'll probably move to one of my server. That might take a while, but gp32x.de will be back, don't worry.
With new features (like developer blogs, etc.) :)

Last edited:
I still hold to my claim (I'll find the quote when gp32x is up again) that this forum should run on SMF.
If we had based it on SMF from the start, then everyone probably wouldn't have thought that it was completely worthless, and we might even have moved the whole community here (which has some advantages, when you think about it, such as that this forum has a name that has something to do with the Pandora, compared to GP32X which isn't obvious at all).

EvilDragon said:

IPB managed to get the boards working somehow, however, terribly slow with a lot of timeouts (as you might have seen if you visited during the online-time).
They think the server is having serious problems - however, the server is not a dedicated one so hando can't do much.
At the moment, hando tries to fix everything with the server company, if that doesn't work out, he'll probably move to one of my server. That might take a while, but gp32x.de will be back, don't worry.
Thanks Ed, but I got some reservations about Invasion blaming the service provider, unless of course the updated IPB requires some PHP modules that the provider does not support. I am wondering if Invasion can give Hando a list of the correct requirements, and if his host cannot meet that then you or even I could probably meet that ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch that, WarmFluffy's right.

When gp32x is back up, all the reasons for the move will be gone, and this forum should remain as what it was created for in the first place; a place to chat if gp32x goes down (and it shouldn't any more) :).

JayFoxRox said:
Personally I still want a special, offical forum only for Pandora and not all the Wiz and gp2x stuff as I don't care about GPH and GP at all.
What's the point when you already got a "special" sub forum devoted to it already, and us mods move unrelated items out of (or into) the relevant forums.

Ever heard of "The grass is always greener on the other side"?

^^ You mean 'other side' :)?

Or 'other side of the fence'....

Or, you meant what you meant and I havn't heard that phrase :p.

WarmFluffyUK said:
What's the point when you already got a "special" sub forum devoted to it already, and us mods move unrelated items out of (or into) the relevant forums[?]
Because the Pandora has nothing at all to do with GP32X, and we shouldn't confuse new users who come to the forum for the first time looking for a Pandora forum, and maybe also keep some distance from GPH (not in a hostile way, but just to show that we are a separate entity) to avoid further confusion.

And Invision isn't really the best forum software around; a better forum would be preferrable ;)

dflemstr said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
What's the point when you already got a "special" sub forum devoted to it already, and us mods move unrelated items out of (or into) the relevant forums[?]
Because the Pandora has nothing at all to do with GP32X, and we shouldn't confuse new users who come to the forum for the first time looking for a Pandora forum, and maybe also keep some distance from GPH (not in a hostile way, but just to show that we are a separate entity) to avoid further confusion.

And Invision isn't really the best forum software around; a better forum would be preferrable ;)
Actually it has everything to do with it. it's that very community/forum that created the device. if is wasn't for the GP32 and then the GP2X the Pandora would not exist. Please don't forget the Legacy of the Pandora simply because you were not around to witness it.

Again I will state I support both the Pandora and The Wiz, they both share developers and user base. They logically both deserve to be in the same forum, especially since they are both related to the mass of users in the forums. If you have no interest in another device, then simply only look at the Pandora sub forum, it's not rocket science.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Actually it has everything to do with it. it's that very community/forum that created the device. if is wasn't for the GP32 and then the GP2X the Pandora would not exist. Please don't forget the Legacy of the Pandora simply because you were not around to witness it.

Again I will state I support both the Pandora and The Wiz, they both share developers and user base. They logically both deserve to be in the same forum, especially since they are both related to the mass of users in the forums. If you have no interest in another device, then simply only look at the Pandora sub forum, it's not rocket science.
I'm not saying that the GP* devices don't share history with the Pandora (and I witnessed at least part of it; I've been lurking on GP32X from late 2007 and officially joined somewhere in June 2008 I think); my primary concern was rather that new users would get confused because they come to a forum for GPH devices when looking for information about the Pandora (we have had many such cases as you surely know from moderating the forums).
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

EDIT: And there's no difference between having two separate subforums and two separate forums, except that you don't have the same account across two forums, which shouldn't be a problem anyways.

dflemstr said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

I'm not saying that the GP* devices don't share history with the Pandora (and I witnessed at least part of it; I've been lurking on GP32X from late 2007 and officially joined somewhere in June 2008 I think); my primary concern was rather that new users would get confused because they come to a forum for GPH devices when looking for information about the Pandora (we have had many such cases as you surely know from moderating the forums).
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

EDIT: And there's no difference between having two separate subforums and two separate forums, except that you don't have the same account across two forums, which shouldn't be a problem anyways.
I think you underestimate our user base, nobody has yet gotten confused with our huge array of current supported devices, and I think the Pandora and Wiz are quite different machines. I can imagine you might be correct that people would be confused between different GP2X versions, but unlikely between the Wiz and Pandora.

I have a feeling you may want to class the Pandora as a sort of elite device, and like a PSP forum if you mention anything else you get panned, sorry if that isn't your intention but it sounds like the direction of intent (singularity). I think keeping it in the original home will in the end work out for the good.

Addition:
back on track, I have seen this kind of problem a lot on my own server, and it is usually to do with a PHP module. I bet if Hando can gain info about what is really required and get his Host to comply, then everything will work out fine!

EvilDragon said:

This is the reason why you first do a major transition like this on a different temporary server (preferably local) with a copy of the database, make notes as to how it works and fix all the bugs, and *then* do the real thing, hopefully in a few hours (with advertised downtime).

Even this late, trying this now would actually answer the question if it's a hosting issue or not. Hando+ED could be switching hosts for no reason.

dflemstr said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

And the fact that they are at different URLs.

This argument for a special Pandora-only forum has been made time after time, and the response has been generally the same: "Don't Split the Community"

There is no benefit in creating a whole new forum specifically for the Pandora, and if anything, it would be more detrimental. (sp?) It's like the fundamental problem the Catholic church had with Protestantism when it was first starting out. If the community keeps splintering, it will just become a bunch of microsects with nothing in common, and nothing to unify them.

(Note: This comment about Religion is not making any points about the Religious beliefs of any group, merely noting the idea that arose with Protestantism that you could alter your practices and create a new church around it)

EDIT:
TrevorBradley said:
EvilDragon said:

This is the reason why you first do a major transition like this on a different temporary server (preferably local) with a copy of the database, make notes as to how it works and fix all the bugs, and *then* do the real thing, hopefully in a few hours (with advertised downtime).

Even this late, trying this now would actually answer the question if it's a hosting issue or not. Hando+ED could be switching hosts for no reason.

I kindof have to agree that this might be something we should try BEFORE we go and switch hosts. It could be that Invision doesn't want to admit their own problems and are blaming the host. We didn't have such problems with this host with the older version of Invision.

-God Ginrai

Back