Block Poster Wall Covering

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm redecorating & am looking for something striking and more importantly cheap for a wall I'd like to make a feature of & also something that requires little (NO) DIY skills.

What do you guys reckon about something like this has anyone here done anything like this? not sure about the image I'd use, but perhaps some classic film poster or bronze/silver age comic spread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a shame to use it for something from a film or comic source, when you'll end up with something obviously digitised unless you start from something with an insane resolution.

I did it with some ZX Spectrum loading screens - with no scaling or smoothing, so pixels were giant blocks, not antialised and blurry. My printer's driver had this segmentation as an option, so do a few graphics programs. Trimmed the slight overlap with a cheap paper cutter, mounted it with spray adhesive on poster card.

Also did it in 'portrait' orientation with some classic computer/games magazines covers (obviously not keeping 'jaggies' with those!) - with a bit of care it can look very good. Make sure your edge trimming is perfect, and lay it all out on the mount to test before you start sticking it down...

Edit- if the image has a predominantly black backdrop, it is critical that your trimming of overlap is perfect, or you can get a visible very fine white line of cut paper fibres along each join. A stick of artists charcoal run along the edge gently before mounting can mask it without seeping into any light areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could probably vectorize the comic scene to make it look good at that size. That doesn't require DYI skills, but it does require skills with vector images and/or a significant amount of time.

Back