Caanoo / WIZ Things That Would Be Awesome To Have On The Caanoo.

ozzuneoj

I know that all of this requires others to put in a huge amount of their spare time, but if I can help to rekindle (or ignite) some interest in any of these projects it will be worth it. :)

A basic Calculator application
- I know the TI-92 emulator is available, but even basic usage of that thing is way over my head. A nice quick-loading touch-screen calculator with the most common functions would be a nice addition to the Caanoo. Inclusion of a unit conversion mode (like the Windows 7 calculator) would be totally awesome.

A dictionary and thesaurus application - Similar to the calculator, this would just be very useful. I'm sure I'm not the only Caanoo user that has a basic (and very cheap to own) cell phone that doesn't have all of the nice smart-phone features out there, so this would really come in handy.

DOSBox - I'd love to see work on a Caanoo port of DOSBox. Seriously, there are SO many wonderful DOS games out there that this could lead to endless hours of entertainment, even with the limitations of the system. It has already been ported to the WIZ

Star Control II: The Ur Quan Masters - I loved this game when I played it on PC a few years ago, and I'd love to have it on my Caanoo. It has already been ported to the Wiz and GP2X.

Albion - Amazing DOS game. The source code was never released but a highly dedicated fan reverse engineered the entire game and created a GP2X port for it, which was also ported to the WIZ.

REminiscense - A port of the classic action adventure game Flashback. It has been ported to the Wiz.

Falling Sand
- Any version of the falling sand games! There are several available for computers and handhelds including Android and the Wiz (Wiz Sand).

Any good Tower Defense game - Its a great genre when you want to burn some time. There are so many good TD games out there that I can't really pick out one in particular.

Any good Rogue-like game - I haven't played these very much, but its mostly because I've only ever had them on my PC where I have "flashier" games to hold my interest. Rogue-like games seem well suited to a handheld... though it'd have to be one that didn't rely heavily on a keyboard and also allows the player to save their progress.

An offline HTML viewer with image support - I like to archive informative web pages, especially ones with lots of charts and images that would be difficult to replicate in most text formats... for example, wikipedia articles. Being able to view these on the go would be awesome.

A .cbr and .cbz comic book viewer - I'm not a big comic book reader, but if its possible for the Caanoo to display things like this, I'd love to be able to flip through the ones I have on my PC.

And this is a bit out on a limb...

Aquaria - I know that it has been ported to the PSP on some level and I believe there is interest in porting it to the Pandora. Considering the resources available on the Caanoo (OpenGL ES acceleration, 128Mb of RAM, decent CPU speed) it seems like it would be possible... but I'm sure it would be quite an undertaking. Still, this is one of the best PC games I've played in quite some time, and it would fit the Caanoo like a glove.

After using my Caanoo extensively over the past couple of weeks, I've come up with a couple things that I think could improve the experience a bit.

An onscreen QWERTY keyboard when typing is needed. Even if its a bit cramped, I can type with a QWERTY keyboard and a stylus a thousand times faster than I can with the joystick-selection keyboard that we see currently. It is a very interesting design and works fine for situations where you just need to type a few characters, but it'd still be nice to make use of the touch screen when typing larger strings or editing text files. I understand that this is an application specific thing, but it seems like a standard qwerty onscreen keyboard could be made and used in different apps.

Brightness adjustment within applications using some kind of shortcut buttons, key combinations, or even the accelerometertouch screen.

Don't take this the wrong way, this isn't a list of demands or even requests. Its just a list of things I'd like to see, and if anyone has any interest these (using them or making them), please post about it here.

I absolutely love my Caanoo, I've had a blast using the emulators and playing the homebrew games, and I'm thoroughly impressed at how active the community is for such a new platform. I get really excited when I think about all the awesome stuff that will be created for this over time. :)

1. what it needs is a command line, for low level non gui features
2. a freaking flash player w/ flash 9 compatibility or flashlite
3. a javase/me vm
4. freakin python
5. a voip client (if getting something like a mifi or usb 3g modem?)
6. haptic feedback
7. to have builtin/stock emus, where the games show up in the menu and not while inside teh emu.which you could launch then it sees that teh file is eg. super nint. then just runs the game without you ever having to go throught the emu menus
8. plugin based mediaplayer. to add additional functionality other than what gph ships stock
9. live wallpapers?video,slideshow,interactive
10. some kind of global leader board?contributions,time played, ingame scoreboards, most forum posts?

how much space does the caanoo have in its nand?
? is it possible to run...android say... 1.5 on this badboy?

It would be fun to see android on it... As for your suggestions, a calculater is built in? oh, no sorry, that was for the Wiz. Haptic feedback there is. The vibrator, right? I particularly like no 7. But maybe people have so many roms, it would become dificult to browse through.

u9i said:
It would be fun to see android on it... As for your suggestions, a calculater is built in? oh, no sorry, that was for the Wiz. Haptic feedback there is. The vibrator, right? I particularly like no 7. But maybe people have so many roms, it would become dificult to browse through.

yes i got the caanoo last night and it does have haptic feedback...but i dont like it, its too strong and long!? some other things

1. more settings
2. better power saving
3. better file management(copy/paste)
4. an easily skinnable ui
5. plugins system for the mediaplayer(skinnable)
6. more uses for the gyro(dynamic fluid background)
7. a builtin browser in the menu and not in the apps
8. more uses for the touch screen?

cant wait for my programming classes to begin! ill knock out all those features()

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Control 2 FTW loved that game. We used to play the space battles on the 3d0 all the time.

Back