Beta [Beta] DBGL with Dosbox and 3Dfx

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is a new beta. It's core is a new experimental build of latest DosBOX, including a 3Dfx wrapper (openglide). It make the use of most 3Dfx enabled DOS (and probably early Win95) game possible (using glshim) and hardware accelerated. The PND use DBGL as a front end. It is very complete, but need Java to run. Go there http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/ for more info, and some ready made freeware/shareware packages.

dbgl1.png

Be aware the 3Dfx need a custom GLIDE2X.OVL file (that is present in the Z; folder of dosbox), so it's best to just remove any other GLIDE2X.OVL that may be present in the game folder.

About 3Dfx emulation again, the default config is glide activated, with lfb write only and in fullscreen. The fullscreen should be left alone (because LIBGL_FB=1 is used, so it will stay fullscreen anyway), but LFB can be change (to "full" or "none"). Unfortunatly LFB effect are very expensive (and are often used in Racing games).

This version of DosBox is also quite speedy, compared to previous build, making some Dos4GW game playable (or mostly playable). This version support OpenGL scalling (not used by default) but be aware that it seems not compatible with the 3Dfx option.

It seems there is a segfault at the exit of a 3Dfx game, I have not experimented this yet.

*05/12/2015* : Initial beta.

Please report success / faillure.

trub3.png

TombRaider unfinished business, with 3Dfx (playable)

carma1.pngscreamerally2.pngscreamer2_2.pngredgard1.png

Carmageddon, Screamer Rally, Screamer2 and Redguard, with 3Dfx (too slow to be playable on the Pandora)

Screamer (mostly playable)

Terminal Velocity (playable)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow i begged Years ago for a Dosbox with 3DFX and now you made that Miracle possible.

This Christmas is the Pandoras best Christmas.

Diablo2,

EasyRPG,

WingCommander Saga

And and and......

...wow so much new good Things

Cannot wait to try Subculture over Windows95Dosbox with 3DFX..yehahhhh :)

And maybe X Beyond the Frontier :D

Gesendet von meinem SGH-T699 mit Tapatalk

easy rpg? let me know how it works ingo! Final Fantasy Endless nova still has glitches (using easy rpg pnd)

Wow i begged Years ago for a Dosbox with 3DFX and now you made that Miracle possible.

This Christmas is the Pandoras best Christmas.

Diablo2,

EasyRPG,

WingCommander Saga

And and and......

...wow so much new good Things

Cannot wait to try Subculture over Windows95Dosbox with 3DFX..yehahhhh :)

And maybe X Beyond the Frontier :D

You will probably need this glide2x.dll for 3Dfx acceleration to work in Win9x.

View attachment glide2x.dll

Which is the best, dosbox with 3dfx or exagear with wine?

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

Ptitseb, I got the BLOOD 3DFX version working, although it's not playable even at 320x240. However the regular version of Blood appears really playable on this.

Added these to the startup command: 
set BUILD_320X240=1 
set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=1 
set BUILD_GAMMA=1 
set BUILD_RESAMPLE=1 

And I set the executable to the 3DFX.EXE in the blood directory... I had this version since 1998, I have no clue where I got the alpha 3DFX Blood executable... I know it was official from monolith at the time, but I think it never made it out of Alpha version.

Picture:

IMG_20151205_130631284.jpg

There were only a handful of DOS games that took advantage of the 3DFX cards at the time... exagear + wine only applies to Windows programs. The two are not comparable unless there was a game that had both a Windows and DOS port.

@TrashyMG: Blood 3Dfx nice!!! To bad it's not smooth enough (but maybe it'll rocks on Pyra). At least the software version do runs :)

fallout works and seems faster but it seems to be jumpy, maybe because I cant do a full install maybe (it says I only have 262 mb) Ill play with it later...

Faust said:
8 minutes ago, Faust said:

There were only a handful of DOS games that took advantage of the 3DFX cards at the time... exagear + wine only applies to Windows programs. The two are not comparable unless there was a game that had both a Windows and DOS port.
Thanks for the explanation Trashy

I am sitting here waiting for a SC release and a Pyra port to have some erections. I mean, more erections than the Pandora release gave me...

Tried yesterday a bit but did not get my Win95 Image to boot.

Must try more because this new Gui is very complicated for me.

Too much Options :)

Whipsplash/Fatal Racing 3dfx Patch did not work yet with my short Test from Yesterday Evening.

And i tried to change to sgx 4.10 but no success here with 3dfx now.

Works very well for me, very nice DosBox version, superior to all the other ones we have so far!

A quick question / I used the Rayman iso to install the game via the "add game wizard" and while it ultimately worked, I could not find where the game was actually installed. So, in what folder does the installation go ?

And If somebody have enough free time and want to make some videos, I will give him my Kudos.

Ingoreis: Fatal Racing 3Dfx is statically linked (so it doesn't use glide2x.ovl), it will not work with any glide wrapper (only 3dfx emulator, that are software only, will work).

Last edited:
Back