Best C++ Beginners Guide You Have Seen?

Arch Deviant

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I used to be a competent programmer many moons ago, but am now trying to learn C++ but getting no where fast, one problem is doing a google brings up millions of instructional web sites, can anyone help seperate the wheat from the chaff?

Can you recommend a good beginners guide?

cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a programmer, but I went through this tutorials on cplusplus.com and found them nice and concise and farely easy to follow.
Cheers Godmil,
Those could come in real handy if I ever manage to get a dev environment setup in either Windows or Linux lol.

Thanks guys
oh and tripmonkey, check out the post I made a week or so back about setting up a dev environment using DEV-CPP and SDL, that might help otherwise PM me and I can explain what I did if that helps

oh and tripmonkey, check out the post I made a week or so back about setting up a dev environment using DEV-CPP and SDL, that might help otherwise PM me and I can explain what I did if that helps
Cheers AD.
I've got a dev enviroment setup on my spare Win comp now, but I've just bricked my 2x.
I gets no errors while making the SDL test app, but I've currently no machine to actually see if it works or not :(

Once again I'm subjected to sods law lol

If you're already a competent programmer in C then you're half way there, you just need to get your head around how OO works.

Think of calling function pointers from within a union/struct, and you'll get there pretty quickly (assuming you've done that before).

If you're after references for what's available in the C++ STL then have a look at http://www.cppreference.com

If you're already a competent programmer in C then you're half way there, you just need to get your head around how OO works.

Think of calling function pointers from within a union/struct, and you'll get there pretty quickly (assuming you've done that before).

If you're after references for what's available in the C++ STL then have a look at http://www.cppreference.com

cheers, all my coding days were in 68000 on the ST (many moons back) or in high level languages like STOS (ST games oriented basic) or Delphi, C and C++ just seem really fiddly... case sensitive commands? sheesh...

Back