Learn Python

I started with Learning Python by Mark Lutz. I recommend it over web stuff, although the Think Python manuscript is also good.

This course is great and even if you just listen to the lectures, it will have you well on your way to being a good programmer:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/

Is there a reason why IDLE wouldn't work on Pandora? I don't have mine yet so I haven't tried it. It's got everything you need and nothing you don't :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why IDLE wouldn't work on Pandora? I don't have mine yet so I haven't tried it. It's got everything you need and nothing you don't :D
hi rokdcasbah !

idle needs Tkinter. since hotfix 4 that's included. but you have to install tk and tcl version 8.5.8 manually in order to use that gui.

but I don't know how much space those packages will take on the NAND.

I mostly boot from sd-card, therefore I don't mind...

greetings

Trip, on your initial post, under the 'easy' 'books to read', you wrote:

---

Learn Python The Hard Way is a very beginner book for people who want to learn to code.

---

That's a dead link now, 404, so might want to remove or re-link it?

I want to work through some of these, I just started with the tutorials on the Python.org site the other week and hope to learn something.

this thread will prove very useful im sure.

edit: Ok i think the you will want to re-link your post to this page:

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

It seems to have moved there

Trip, on your initial post, under the 'easy' 'books to read', you wrote:

---

Learn Python The Hard Way is a very beginner book for people who want to learn to code.

---
Cheers for the new link FZERO.

The books actually called Learn Python the hard way because it goes about teaching you Python in a way that doesn't seem as easy at first, but turns out to be a really good way of leaning. The first chapter is actually called The Hard Way is Easier. It is a complete beginner tutorial :)

It's been the only tutorial that I've really enjoyed using so far. Give it a read and let me know what you think of it.

Back