Beauty competition.

Yes, the orientation is per-display, so most of the time it should never need to be changed from the default - HDMI not rotated, LCD rotated 270°. There is no particular reason why it can't be done on the fly too, but I'm not sure if anything currently exposes it at runtime to userspace so some extra small program might be needed.

Even if this Unreal Demo Level on the Pyra isn’t that Fluid, it’s cool to see that it works ..

So this means whe have now Hardware Graphic Mode on the Pyra, and not anymore just Software??

Im not that Good on Computer Things, so as far i understood is that bevor the Patch, the CPU had to make everything, the GPU should make, so there wasn’t enough power left for the Things a CPU should make
And now the GPU works even whit the Rotation

Whit best regards, Matthias

Yes, hardware GL acceleration is being used now. Rotation is also being done in hardware by the TILER. I can't say for certain how much overhead the TILER adds but it shouldn't be too much (simple OpenGL stuff like supertux2 can definitely run at 60fps with TILER :))

Is xrandr impossible to port on the Pyra or there is a chance that we get it ? I thought it was only a software interface for any graphical hardware.

Well, all the designs are open source, including pcb layout. Talk is cheap, go ahead, design and build your own.

Who knows, perhaps you are the next Steve Jobs.

I'll wait.
Talk is not that cheap actually especially when you do a lot of brain work before talking. I advise you to stop waiting in vain.

Whoop very nice work daveshah I always love it to follow these types of development. The dev maillist is one of the first things I read every day (it's like my daily news). Can't wait until the pyra is more out in the open to see these boards brimming with things to do and bugs to squash.

Sometimes I wish I was more versed in the low level stuff. Sometimes I read msx stuff (we used to have one) life seemed much more simple for low level people back then.

We can't tell how fluid it is exactly, @ptitSeb mentioned in the video description it does look look smoother on the pyra in reality than it looks like in the video.
Yes, youtube removes a lot of frames. I tried streaming my C64 at 50p and while I sent in smooth scrolling video it came out choppy.
Post automatically merged:

@daveshah Thanks btw :) I'm happy you're on board!

must admit this all feels rather high level to me, usually developing tools that work at the level of LUTs, flipflops and routing switches!

Well I also work in the level of LUTs but then for microscopy images :D
Have some knowledge about flippases and flipflop in biomembranes
And have helped describe a molecular switch in DNA damage repair

All three have not that much to do with low level programming :D

Last edited:
We can't tell how fluid it is exactly, @ptitSeb mentioned in the video description it does look look smoother on the pyra in reality than it looks like in the video.
Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with the keyboard backlight flickering there. Maybe an interaction between the PWM and the frame rate of the camera, or maybe it's something youtube is picking out an emphasising because it thinks it's more important than the frame rate.

Also, the pyra version seems to be running more shaders than the Pandora version is, so perhaps if it were a straight shootout with both doing the same thing the difference might be more dramatic.

Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with the keyboard backlight flickering there. Maybe an interaction between the PWM and the frame rate of the camera, or maybe it's something youtube is picking out an emphasising because it thinks it's more important than the frame rate.

Also, the pyra version seems to be running more shaders than the Pandora version is, so perhaps if it were a straight shootout with both doing the same thing the difference might be more dramatic.
Not to mention a higher resolution on the Pyra.

This. It's exactly 2.4 times more pixels being pushed on the Pyra. On unoptimized software. Maybe working with even lower thermal limits due to the cooling system not being fully implemented. And through two layers of software emulation.
It's not mindblowing, but the more you think about it, the more it looks promising.

I dunno, after all the years shown with being shown runs of libreoffice and the likes as the best we can hope for to begin with once in all of the time this has been in development, it's been a meagre show over the years, but this kind of thing is truly impressive. I think my frontal cortex might be blown, if not my entire mind.

I'm kind of scared to ask and it would be a little silly, but I'd love to see a dreamcast emulator running ikaruga on final hardware again after all of these years, after Notaz I think it was showing it running on a OMAP devboard at some show or other. Would finally close the circle, if what I'm asking for isn't too much a waste of time.

I think the Flickering is due to the same effect as you have when you make a Video on an old PC Screen..
Or the Power Software needs a bit of tweaking because its drains the Power from the Keyboard LEDs to push the CPU a bit..

Indeed this Backlight looks pretty cool, but i think i have to dime its a bit when i want to play in the Darkness some Games..
Will there be a Keyboard Shortcut to adjust the Brightness??

A few bits to add.

Supertux was actually one of my test cases!
Looking forward to it! Where would I find the steps for us non-devs to go from 'old OS on Prototype' to 'current OS with Supertux 2 running'? I understood that what we have so far is 'proof of concept' and isn't quite rolled into the main OS release - but close.

The keyboard backlight flickering in the video is almost certainly due to a mismatch between the frequency that the LEDs are firing at and the shutter/capture rate on the camera. The LED backlighting appears solid to the naked eye, but motion video can and will catch them cycling.

This isn't about benchmarking. This was just 'making it work the first time'. THAT is what we are all excited about - that it is now working. If you wanted to compare frame rates (benchmarking) then we would need to ensure that all of the shaders and whatnot are the same AND drop the resuolution. Keep in mind that at native screen resolutions, the Pyra is pushing 777,600 pixels to the Pyra's 307,200 as well.

The above news that hardware 3D rendering is now working with Tiler is -AWESOME-.

Looking forward to it! Where would I find the steps for us non-devs to go from 'old OS on Prototype' to 'current OS with Supertux 2 running'? I understood that what we have so far is 'proof of concept' and isn't quite rolled into the main OS release - but close.

First you will need to start with a Buster installation (I think dist-upgrade should work, otherwise install one of the newer images). Then, to install the new kernel - instructions from @aTc on IRC as I haven't tried this on my own unholy hybrid of Letux and PyraOS that I am currently developing with:

edit /etc/default/pyra-extlinux , add "drm.force_hw_rotation" to EXTLINUX_PARAMETERS , apt update, apt install linux-image-5.6.15-letux-lpae-tiler , poweroff, restart

Hopefully, this should start up with a correctly rotated screen.

For the TILER+3D, first download and extract tiler_shim somewhere. apt install supertux or whatever you want to play (TORCS works too but is quite slow).

Then wherever you extracted tiler_shim; run `./init.sh` followed by `./run.sh /usr/games/supertux2` (if running from SSH or serial, make sure DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY are set)

I have only tried SuperTux on the uEVM, so I can't guarantee it will behave correctly on the Pyra hardware (resolution settings might need changing, etc).

Have fun :)

Back