Beauty competition.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
We can't tell how fluid it is exactly, @ptitSeb mentioned in the video description it does look look smoother on the pyra in reality than it looks like in the video.
Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with the keyboard backlight flickering there. Maybe an interaction between the PWM and the frame rate of the camera, or maybe it's something youtube is picking out an emphasising because it thinks it's more important than the frame rate.

Also, the pyra version seems to be running more shaders than the Pandora version is, so perhaps if it were a straight shootout with both doing the same thing the difference might be more dramatic.

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with the keyboard backlight flickering there. Maybe an interaction between the PWM and the frame rate of the camera, or maybe it's something youtube is picking out an emphasising because it thinks it's more important than the frame rate.

Also, the pyra version seems to be running more shaders than the Pandora version is, so perhaps if it were a straight shootout with both doing the same thing the difference might be more dramatic.
Not to mention a higher resolution on the Pyra.

Kev2442

Still French
This. It's exactly 2.4 times more pixels being pushed on the Pyra. On unoptimized software. Maybe working with even lower thermal limits due to the cooling system not being fully implemented. And through two layers of software emulation.
It's not mindblowing, but the more you think about it, the more it looks promising.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I dunno, after all the years shown with being shown runs of libreoffice and the likes as the best we can hope for to begin with once in all of the time this has been in development, it's been a meagre show over the years, but this kind of thing is truly impressive. I think my frontal cortex might be blown, if not my entire mind.

I'm kind of scared to ask and it would be a little silly, but I'd love to see a dreamcast emulator running ikaruga on final hardware again after all of these years, after Notaz I think it was showing it running on a OMAP devboard at some show or other. Would finally close the circle, if what I'm asking for isn't too much a waste of time.

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member
I LOVE the backlit keyboard of the Pyra in that video. Having the plastic keycaps over the rubber keys makes the keyboard glow different from different angles.

If it was straight keys with transparent lettering, it doesn't look like it would have that cool glow.

Thanks for the video, more please!

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
I think the Flickering is due to the same effect as you have when you make a Video on an old PC Screen..
Or the Power Software needs a bit of tweaking because its drains the Power from the Keyboard LEDs to push the CPU a bit..

Indeed this Backlight looks pretty cool, but i think i have to dime its a bit when i want to play in the Darkness some Games..
Will there be a Keyboard Shortcut to adjust the Brightness??

Grench

Forum Addict!
A few bits to add.

Supertux was actually one of my test cases!
Looking forward to it! Where would I find the steps for us non-devs to go from 'old OS on Prototype' to 'current OS with Supertux 2 running'? I understood that what we have so far is 'proof of concept' and isn't quite rolled into the main OS release - but close.

The keyboard backlight flickering in the video is almost certainly due to a mismatch between the frequency that the LEDs are firing at and the shutter/capture rate on the camera. The LED backlighting appears solid to the naked eye, but motion video can and will catch them cycling.

This isn't about benchmarking. This was just 'making it work the first time'. THAT is what we are all excited about - that it is now working. If you wanted to compare frame rates (benchmarking) then we would need to ensure that all of the shaders and whatnot are the same AND drop the resuolution. Keep in mind that at native screen resolutions, the Pyra is pushing 777,600 pixels to the Pyra's 307,200 as well.

The above news that hardware 3D rendering is now working with Tiler is -AWESOME-.

daveshah

Looking forward to it! Where would I find the steps for us non-devs to go from 'old OS on Prototype' to 'current OS with Supertux 2 running'? I understood that what we have so far is 'proof of concept' and isn't quite rolled into the main OS release - but close.
First you will need to start with a Buster installation (I think dist-upgrade should work, otherwise install one of the newer images). Then, to install the new kernel - instructions from @aTc on IRC as I haven't tried this on my own unholy hybrid of Letux and PyraOS that I am currently developing with:

edit /etc/default/pyra-extlinux , add "drm.force_hw_rotation" to EXTLINUX_PARAMETERS , apt update, apt install linux-image-5.6.15-letux-lpae-tiler , poweroff, restart
Hopefully, this should start up with a correctly rotated screen.

For the TILER+3D, first download and extract tiler_shim somewhere. apt install supertux or whatever you want to play (TORCS works too but is quite slow).

Then wherever you extracted tiler_shim; run `./init.sh` followed by `./run.sh /usr/games/supertux2` (if running from SSH or serial, make sure DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY are set)

I have only tried SuperTux on the uEVM, so I can't guarantee it will behave correctly on the Pyra hardware (resolution settings might need changing, etc).

Have fun :)

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
On thing i dont realy understand: This Debian Linux is portet to the Pyra, so as well its Repo ?? , so dos this mean i could in theory use every Programm from this Repo on my Shiny New Pyra ?? As long its fits the Hardware Specs,
So no need for Porting of single programms, as long as they where allready in the Repo ??

daveshah

In general, yes, stuff from the repo should work. There are two problems that you are likely to hit:

1. stuff that isn't compiled for armhf (yet), I have seen this with a few emus
2. stuff that hits current graphics limitations, e.g. if it tries to use certain DRM/KMS APIs without understanding rotation, or if it uses GL features not supported by gl4es

I am not sure the best way to improve (1), some of these probably just need building and others might have issues that stop them from working on armhf. I am currently looking into getting DRI3, GBM and an improved X server (xf86-video-armsoc-omap5) TILERised and working, which should improve the situation in (2) a bit.

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
On thing i dont realy understand: This Debian Linux is portet to the Pyra, so as well its Repo ?? , so dos this mean i could in theory use every Programm from this Repo on my Shiny New Pyra ?? As long its fits the Hardware Specs,
So no need for Porting of single programms, as long as they where allready in the Repo ??
The goal set out long ago at the beginning of the Pyra software development was to keep it as close to a stock OS. So yes this is regular armhf Debian with an extra repository for Pyra related things.

Games and such on the regular repo can be not as optimized for the Pyra as you would like, for example one thing I found was the regular debian DOSBOX is extremely slow compared to a version compiled on the OMAP5 itself with all the optimized flags.

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
My plan is more like to get the Special Things like Games and Emulators that needs to be optimiced to the Pyra from the Pyra File Archive, and the more common things that dotnt need that much optimazion like Text Editor, Guitar Programms, and this like from the Debian Repo.., as long they ditnt got Port and optimized..

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
FWIW, I don't think there's likely to be a pyra file archive this time round. We're more likely to have a pyra dbp repo.

The only place I'm unsure is in the case of web browsers. Speed can be relatively important there, but they're such a target for hackers these days that updates are coming out quick and fast, and lone maintainers here have historically had difficulty keeping up. Might end up using the armhf drop and sucking it up.

Reactions: rSl

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member
FWIW, I don't think there's likely to be a pyra file archive this time round. We're more likely to have a pyra dbp repo.

The only place I'm unsure is in the case of web browsers. Speed can be relatively important there, but they're such a target for hackers these days that updates are coming out quick and fast, and lone maintainers here have historically had difficulty keeping up. Might end up using the armhf drop and sucking it up.
Firejail should work on arm. Just start up the browser with firejail and then the exploits have two sandboxes to break through. If you really want to get crazy, run the browser as a different user and lock down the permissions on top of firejail.

Nothing to be worried about really.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
The main problem with browsers is them leaking cookies and other identifiers between services. But yeah, it's worth sandboxing your browsers if you can, although I've no experience of the penalities in terms of speed so far.

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member
The main problem with browsers is them leaking cookies and other identifiers between services. But yeah, it's worth sandboxing your browsers if you can, although I've no experience of the penalities in terms of speed so far.
There is no penalty at all. It uses builtin kernel namespace features to sandbox the application. Firejail doesn't do the work, it is just an interface that uses kernel features to startupthe app and have the kernel isolate the application.