Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits

What are your feelings about that development?

• I want the FullHD display, no matter what! It'll look so much better! I don't care about the perform

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FullHD would've been nice, but with those issues, HalfHD is better. I still would've preferred FullH

Votes: 72 20.8%
  • FullHD is overkill anyways in my opinion. HalfHD is way better suited for a screen that size.

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • CPU performance and easy development are more important than the higher resolution. I'm fine with th

Votes: 208 60.1%
  • I don't really care about the difference between FullHD or HalfHD - it's more important that the gam

Votes: 116 33.5%

• Total voters

My main concern is that the switchable output support necessary for HDMI at a higher resolution than the internal panel can support would require extra chips or PCB traces that the Pyra doesn't have room for.
No matter the resolution of the internal panel, ED has (if i remember correctly), a design target to allow for full-HD display on an external display once docked, so, unless anything has changed, I wouldn't worry too much about that.  
Good to hear... though I did also amend my post with "or that some quirk of the OMAP's video driver may make switching resolutions like that unfeasible."

In my opinion, there are only advantages switching to the smaller resolution display.

Besides, you might want to check again (as exophase said) the issues with the cpu performance in the megadrive emulator. I have not looked into the datasheet, but it seems to me really strange that you do not have any hardware accelerator inside the ARM to perform image rotation.

Maybe you want to find a SoC with a small internal FPGA :p

This reminds me somewhat of the Wiz ... don't make the same mistake than GPH ... the tearing was bad and even more the extra work that needed to be done to get non-tearing (switch LCD to portrait and rotate the drawing by hand). I don't know as of yet if I'll get a Pyra, but it definitely would put me off if I had to do something by hand ... so HalfHD is imo the way to go.

I fully understand the problem faced but going down in resolution has definitely ruled the current Pyra version out for me.

Of course the nerd within me is all exited but I was already having trouble being enthusiast, my Pandora is sufficient for my current needs.

Reactions: DFP
I'm OK with this as long as response time is good and the rotation/scaler chip causes minimal to no display lag. The one plus I can think of for the 1080p display is the possibility to pixel double pandora applications to get near full screen (1600x960 of 1920x1080) image with pixels intact, but that's not _too_ huge an issue. Pixel density should be good enough on the 720p one.

I'm with exophase as I don't feel informed enough to make a vote. Especially as with the "sudden" availability of a 720x1280 screen, I wonder if there is a 1280x720 somewhere out there.

Resolution isn't a big factor either way: with highres display support slowly trickling into the linux world FullHD isn't a real problem "readability" wise anymore, but I also don't see a real "need" for FullHD on a rather small screen.

I'm more interested in other specs of the new screen: reponse time, brightness contrast, etc. and wether disadvantages are to be expected with including the post processing chip, or not

I fully understand the problem faced but going down in resolution has definitely ruled the current Pyra version out for me.

Of course the nerd within me is all exited but I was already having trouble being enthusiast, my Pandora is sufficient for my current needs.
Whether he sticks with 1080p or offer it beside the 720p now or later, it looks like it will cost significantly more.720p will probably drain less power and improve performance. Pyra will serve you needs and more much better.

Just something to keep in mind.

This is coming from someone who prefers FullHD.

Last edited by a moderator:
1280x720 is perfectly fine for a device this size. Lower price ist also a plus, as is using a solution that has proven to work for other people (maybe you can get into contact with other customers of that company?).

Since using 720p also eliminates the budget problem that the fullhd screen brings, it seems that 720p is the only logical way to go, especially with the performance hit the fullhd screens bring.

I believe most Pyra/Pandora fans are not gadget freaks, and would therefore prefer maximum performance over maximum sexyness.

Why would you use Full HD for anyway ? I have seen Full HD phones and honestly i'm not impressed what what it looks like. You don't see much difference especially when things are in motion.
I'm not in for the HD, The dimensions are pretty big, and I kind of like bigger resolutions.

BTW that is just your own opinion. It doesn't make me feel any different about mine, and it doesn't make you right.

Where was I saying I have power over your opinion ? :p Are you reading between the lines?
Sorry, I guess I took the last part a bit harsh, but anyways I don't really care much for HD displays, just the high resolutions sounds awesome for a handheld. You can fit a lot on that screen. Aw it doesn't matter I suppose. Whatever happens it will be awesome.

Yes, as mentioned, the resolution looks awesome when viewing images, for example.

However, I had to increase the desktop font size as well as the buttons to be able to properly use it (and I can see very very good on short distances), so I basically increased everything to a size which would probably be the normal size on half hd.

About the refresh time:

I learned something new here as well:

It seems you can't really compare refresh times. Some manufacturers do the measurements under ideal temperature conditions (usually smartphone displays) while some do measurements over the fully allowed temperature range (usually industrial displays).

Once again, it's marketing.

The HalfHD display is stated with 30ms refresh time, but Panelook e.g. says it's 25ms. The FullHD one has 20-25 ms. Pandoras LCD is 30-35ms according to spec sheets, but I think it's worse in reality (I've got industrial displays that state a max refresh time of 70ms, but usually they are faster as well).

The only real comparison we can do is running something like Sonic on the display to compare it.

The FullHD didn't have any ghosting on Sonic, but still a bit on NES checkerboard effects. Then again, I've played Knytt Underground on my VITA (OLED screen), and even there the ball had some ghosting when moving fast.

There will always be SOME ghosting, but it surely can be a LOT less than on the Pandora.

We'll have to wait and see.

About performance issues for rotation / tiling:

Exophase, please ask notaz when you see him. He can explain it a lot better, it gets a bit too technical for me there.

full-hd sounds nice but to be honest, my phone is 720x1280 (on a 4.7") and I'm struggling to see the pixels. Still I wouldn't object if it ended up being Full-HD.

But... A 16:10 aspect ratio would be even nicer :) are there 1280x800 screens on the market?

Back