Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits

What are your feelings about that development?

• I want the FullHD display, no matter what! It'll look so much better! I don't care about the perform

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FullHD would've been nice, but with those issues, HalfHD is better. I still would've preferred FullH

Votes: 72 20.8%
  • FullHD is overkill anyways in my opinion. HalfHD is way better suited for a screen that size.

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • CPU performance and easy development are more important than the higher resolution. I'm fine with th

Votes: 208 60.1%
  • I don't really care about the difference between FullHD or HalfHD - it's more important that the gam

Votes: 116 33.5%

• Total voters

TI said we'll get no official support but OMAP developer might like the Pyra and help in their free time.
And that's what they are also doing :)
You're right. I looked back, and it seems that for the most part, it was other people suggesting you were getting support from TI. The only time you mentioned it, you pointed out the "unofficial" support.

-God Ginrai

No need to double check, it says in the spec sheet that rotation only works up for 720x1280, and the Solomon Systech confirmed that as well
Oh bother :( I wasn't actually able to find the datasheet, just the detailed sales brochure which doesn't list that restriction, although the rotation example does only output to a 720x1280 screen, so I guess it makes sense. If they had high res rotation they'd definitely want to show it off.

I had a look on the net and people seem to use the same hardware on the omap4 for HDMI output under android. Maybe worth looking at?

After all, in terms of mirroring a display it seems like it's raison d'etre

Hrm... I still don't know enough about this MIPI thing. The SSD2858 says it has 4 lanes input, but the two DSIs on the OMAP5 have 5 lanes. I don't know if that would cause a problem or if more lanes are only required for larger displays.

It'd be really neat to be able to connect both DSI outputs to something like this, but near as I can tell the SSD2858 is only single input:multiple output, not the other way around.

In terms of resolution, for a 5" screen 720P should be fine IMHO.

As long as the refresh rate & colour accuracy on the 720P screen are good, i.e. it looks 'nice', then the positives would seem to far outweigh the negatives.

I guess the decision would be more difficult if the 1080P screen looked 'appreciably nicer'.

Be sure they support MIPI and tear-free rotation (not just simple rotation!)
Ok, I give up. Every search term I can think of returns Solomon as the first result, sometimes even the second and third result, and then a bunch of unrelated stuff. Tonnes of LVDS interface chips though, so maybe in a year or two when the MIPI standard is a little more widespread there'll be something.

Be sure they support MIPI and tear-free rotation (not just simple rotation!)
Ok, I give up. Every search term I can think of returns Solomon as the first result, sometimes even the second and third result, and then a bunch of unrelated stuff. Tonnes of LVDS interface chips though, so maybe in a year or two when the MIPI standard is a little more widespread there'll be something.
Maybe you're looking the wrong way... Instead of looking for MIPI conversion in the chip, why not look for something that you can pair with the chip to do the MIPI conversion afterwards?

-God Ginrai

I vote for LCD-less Pyra so everyone will be forced to buy a Facebook Oculus Rift.

"Never thought the LCD would cause so much trouble"

With the HalfHD display, I MIGHT consider buying the Pyra after all since it would bring the total cost of the system down and would put less strain on the OMAP5. That GPU is still the biggest niggle to me, as I don't think I would want a pocketPC with graphics performance on-par with or weaker than my current phone.

Anyway, perhaps a FullHD would be better for a possible successor to Pyra. Maybe a few years from now 5" FullHD displays in landscape orientation might be manufactured for other devices and become available for you to use.

I vote for LCD-less Pyra so everyone will be forced to buy a Facebook Oculus Rift.

"Never thought the LCD would cause so much trouble"
You bastard.

Did steal my joke. ;)

Was also the first thing that came in my mind but then I somehow forgot about it.

At least that fantastic idea isn't lost ;) .

Wait a sec...

... without LCD?

Don't tell Craigx.

I can already see the Kickstarter:

VRControlPad

The official successor of the iControlPad (ICP 2 was skipped because of it)

It's a fill Keyboard which comes with an SoC which includes a powerful gaming GPU.

Also the 3D camera on the backside will make sure you'll never have to remove the Oculus from your eyes.

Simply place the VRControlPad into the clamps which can be mounted on the outside of the Oculus.

Wow awesome.

And the best of everything:

Fake prototypes already exist.

It will be ready before Christmas.

:p

3DS games could actually start to look good on that thing if rendered a bit higher than original.
If only it wouldn't be 4,5´´ but a little bit bigger.

4,5 is too small I think.

But you're totally right.

I have a 3ds XL and the resolution is the only problem that thing has.

It looks really ugly.

BTW: Exophase has NO excuse not to write a 3ds Emulator anyways ;) .

Could we include a camera and still have a lower price for the Pyra. I know the camera poll was pretty even and this might make those that want a a camera happy. 

Could we include a camera and still have a lower price for the Pyra. I know the camera poll was pretty even and this might make those that want a a camera happy.
I don't think everyone have to get a camera if one is added. Like I said in the other thread, he can place the camera on board and have some indicating where to cut a hole for it.

I got the idea from this.

That would be possible if you would be fine cutting your own hole into the case
Not ideal and I'm not sure how practical that is for the camera.

It's a slippery slope... Cameras lead to selfies, selfies lead to the decline of the human race.
lol Too late for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the LCD similar to a normal Linux monitor (i.e. you can use various display resolutions in X or with other programs)
Resolution changing is a huge deal for me. I would love to have this, for... reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
720p would be just fine.  1080p was mostly due to screen availability and a marketing point.

In the US, 720p TVs are still considered 'HDTV'.  Silly or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

So, even at 720p it might still work to advertise it as an 'HD' screen - without meaning any deception.

Note here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards5.svg

720 and 1080 are both referenced as 'HD'.

There isn't really such a thing as 'half HD'.  720p would be like 37.5% of the pixels in a 1080p display.  It's still called HD though.

720*1280 = 777,600 pixels

1080*1920 = 2,073,600 pixels

Back