Bbc Emu!!

lucoxade

SCOURGE!
Website
www.scourge.co.uk
B-EM 2x released (gp2x)
by EvilDragon @ (02:12) 10 Dec 2005

Matt Jesson (aka bohemiath) released a port of B-EM 2x, a BBC Micro Emulator for the gp2x.

Only BBC-B supported yet and there is no sound yet, but it works fine for a first release.
Grannies Garden!
Apart from that game with the elephant and the truck, does anyone remember any classy BBC titles that you used at school? or were you a posh kid that had one at home?

We didn't have one at school, we had a computer that played games on 7 1/2 inch floppy disks. There was this Cinderella game, but I can't remember how it worked.

There was a murder mystery text adventure set in a mansion (can't remember what it was called)...
Through The Dragon's Eye...
can't remember any others though I'm sure my memory could be prompted :)

Sod it - now I definitely need a GP2X....

Notable BBC titles:
Frak, Revs, Elite (the original), Cholo, Repton, Freefall, Exile, Labyrinthe, L (mathematical adventure), Citadel, etc....

My Brother had a BBC and I 'inherited' his speccy 48K. This was the one computer I was missing on the GP32 - looks like I'll have to get the newer machine now!

Imogen is definatly a big favourite!
Crazy Rider
Strykers Run
Despatch rider
Winter and Summer olympiads
Frak (Much better than the C64 version)
Superior Soccer (Had hours of fun with this!)
Holed Out (Great Golf Sim)
and of course .... Exile (I need a GP2x just to finally complete this game)

If you want to go all educational I'd recommend:

Shylock Gnomes
Flowers of Crystal
Dragon World
Grannies Garden (not really 'cos its any good - but it's still being sold in many forms)

Also there are some great unofficial arcade converisions by superior software and acornsoft (Mr Wiz, Frogger etc.) - the BBC somehow had the perfect 'acadey' feel that the spectrum and C64 versions of these games didn't quite manage.

need to get some rose thinted glasses needed, me thinks out loud.

i passed my GCSE coursework using BBC model B's. ah those were the day.

Chucky Egg and Frak !!!! cant forget repton either :p

I also remember some adventure games, although the titles have slipped my mind.

DareDevil Dennis has already been mentioned, but it's a must.

I must say I think it's quite amusing that, in the entire lifetime of the GP32 thus far, there hasn't been a single released BBC emu, and yet the GP2x has one already - despite the fact that the computer is very often requested and NOT a tough machine to emulate as tough machines go.

Anyone remember a text adventure in which there were a load of mathematical puzzles to solve? Had a lot of fun with that during lunchtimes at primary school, but not a clue as to it's name.

The Dragon32 and Speccy versions of chuckie egg certainly had redefinable keys (scrolling text at the bottom should say press s to start, r to redefine keys...). Can't remember if the BBC version worked in the same way, but I don't see why it would be different.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I listed a few things in the readme that I'm working on. But please let me know what you think. Sound, speed, and some kind of simple game switcher / launcher are my first priorities.

I started programming on a ZX81, but I really cut my teeth properly on the BBC B. I was lucky enough to have one at home. Spent hours writing code, trying to squeeze every last drop out of it. Embedded assembler in BASIC code - brilliant design by Acorn.

Thrust, Meteors, and Codename Droid were some of my favourites. A lot of the arcade games of the day are represented in one form or another (but with subtle name changes).

Matt

This is very cool. Though I did have one at home I would hardly refer to myself as posh. From memory:

Ravenskull (One of the first games you could choose your character with certain attributes).
Wizador (Classic platformer in Machine code- very slick for the time)
Future Shock (Weird floating eye platform game)
Sentinal (bit surreal like but addictive)
Elite (Of course)
Monsters (Acorsoft classic)
Knightlore
Sabre Wulf
Hunchback

I'm sure there are more stuck in the receses of my mind but it was a long tie ago now.

*glazes over as he dreams of simpler times*

We had Apple IIe s at my grade school. Not much on there except...
DEFENDER! Oh, jeez.

[/worthless comment]

I guess its time for me to dig out my old mags and start copying out some of the games in them.

Never heard of that system before, oh here is a picture:

MVC00472.JPG

and how games looked like:

overdrive1.gif

planetoid1.gif

note: that's not Defender, it's Planetoid :huh:
snapper1.gif

note: that's not Pacman, it's Snapper :huh:

C64-ish graphics, and rip offs of arcade/atari hits... well I take the C64 over that any day :p

Nah... not quite C64 - C64 had a lot more colours, but they were nothing like as pure, from what I remember of the respective systems. It's the reason I can't stand it as a system, at least with the pallete the games originally used. Personal preference only, though - C64 was and is still a great system :)

Back