Release Battle For Wesnoth

ivanovic

You will find links to the latest stable and development release at the buttom of this post.

Finally managed setting up the cross compile toolchain (following this howto), directly compiled Wesnoth and packaged it into a neat, little .pnd. Sadly dl.opendownloads.org had some problems accepting the sourceforge.net url. Thanks to ED the file made it into the downloads archive anyway. Here it is:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,25

Some comments:
* Yeah, this is the brand new 1.8.3 release which I have not announced so far on wesnoth.org since at the moment only the sourcecode, the Windows and the Pandora binaries are available (just tagged this release 3 hours ago...). The official announcement of the release on wesnoth.org will follow "soon" (in one or two days, depending on how long it takes for the OSX version to appear).
* All application data is written to appdata/wesnoth-1.8, nothing should end in your NAND.
* Starting the game might be a little slow when it does create the caches. This is: The first start of the game as well as the first start of each campaign in each difficulty level and joining the mp server the first time takes some 30 to 60 seconds because the cache is created. On later starts (unless you download an addon, which will force some cache updates!) it should be a whole lot faster since the cache is just used.
* This release is 100% compatible to the 1.8.x stable branch of Wesnoth. It does work with those savegames. You can download add-ons just as you tend to do with the "desktop" edition and you can play on the multiplayer server against oponents eg on Windows computers, Macs or Linux systems (only slight problem with multiplayer is that the interface is not great at all, since it was not created with 800x480 as resolution in mind).
* If you find bugs, please report them. It would be good if you used the official bugtracker as provided in the link since I am very likely to miss other reports, like eg posts here in the forums.

Only one thing left to say:
Enjoy the game on your pandora!

EDIT:

Latest stable release:

Wesnoth 1.8.6
Post with information about this release: 1.8.6 release information
Download wesnoth-1.8.6-1.pnd (289.3MB)
Wesnoth 1.8.x is also available via the OpenPandora Package Repository.

Latest development release:

Wesnoth 1.9.6
Post with information about this release: 1.9.6 release information
Download wesnoth-1.9.6-1.pnd (310.1MB)
Wesnoth 1.9.x is also available via the OpenPandora Package Repository.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just gave it a quick run trying out the tutorial and just wow. It runs smooth and looks sweet. Nicely done Ivanovic!

Never played this before, but I'm off to play some more now :D

Wolfsclaw said:
Does this mean official support, official port? :)

Awesome!

Btw, what is "caveeat"?
You know, in theory there are no "official" binaries, the only "offical" thing at Wesnoth is the source tarball. But some packages are created directly by devs and trusted to work rather well.

Regarding "caveeat": clear case of a typo, changed wording there to make things more clear.

Thanks for this Ivanovic, looks great on the Pandora and seems to run well. Seems to be a really good game too.

Was wondering if there is a config file somewhere where you can increase the size of the fonts in the status box on the right hand side as I find the text here a little small to be easily read.

Also sound suffers from occasional pops and crackles on my Pandora (my unit had scratchy sound til fixed by Hotfix 2) not reported this on the bug tracker as I suspect that this may be a Pandora problem rather than a Wesnoth problem. How is the sound on other peoples Pandoras?

Mr Loon said:
Thanks for this Ivanovic, looks great on the Pandora and seems to run well. Seems to be a really good game too.

Was wondering if there is a config file somewhere where you can increase the size of the fonts in the status box on the right hand side as I find the text here a little small to be easily read.

Also sound suffers from occasional pops and crackles on my Pandora (my unit had scratchy sound til fixed by Hotfix 2) not reported this on the bug tracker as I suspect that this may be a Pandora problem rather than a Wesnoth problem. How is the sound on other peoples Pandoras?

It's a mixture of both.
Those are buffer underruns that happen when CPU usage is too high and buffer it too small.
It can be made better by working more on the ALSA driver (notaz already made it a bit better with the sound fix), however, as Wesnoth needs a lot of CPU power, I guess increasing the buffer size should work. Don't know if that can be done in the audio settings of Wesnoth.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Mr Loon said:

It's a mixture of both.
Those are buffer underruns that happen when CPU usage is too high and buffer it too small.
It can be made better by working more on the ALSA driver (notaz already made it a bit better with the sound fix), however, as Wesnoth needs a lot of CPU power, I guess increasing the buffer size should work. Don't know if that can be done in the audio settings of Wesnoth.
Yes, you can increase the audio buffer size by going to Rreferences-> Sound-> Advanced Options and alter the "Buffer Size" there. The default is 1024.

Ivanovic said:
Yes, you can increase the audio buffer size by going to Rreferences-> Sound-> Advanced Options and alter the "Buffer Size" there. The default is 1024.

Changed the buffer size to 2048 and all the audio is now working fine, many thanks Ivanovic. Really looking forward to sinking a few hours into this one.

Just some little bugs:

Sometimes in munues the buttons show only half and the text goes over the menueitems (recruiting a shaman in the first mission) When you have to recruit the shaman I first had the impression I could not do it because I didnt see the scrollarrows. maybe you could put more units underanother, the place is there.

Aethix said:
Does the --smallgui parameter work on the Pandora?
That is exactly what is used in the startscript.

have you guys considered revamping the multiplayer UI so that it supports small screen resolutions (since there are now devices that can play wesnoth full power with small screens)? I'm sure you guys can pull in a few volunteers to help with the effort. Not suggesting more work for anybody, just offering ideas to improve an already great title. Haven't had the time to sink into this since about 1.8.1, but I still love the game! :D

Finally got it downloaded and tried it out. (I had been using cpasjuste's version) Here are the 2 problems I had:

1) The Start button did not work as Alt, either that or the Alt+R combination for recall did not work. This worked in cpasjuste's version, but not yours. (Ctrl+R for recruit worked in both versions, tho')

2) The game froze. It was in the middle of the third scenario in the South Guard campaign, I selected a unit and it started freaking out and then froze.

-God Ginrai

I had a game freeze too - in the middle of a character speech dialogue. I have a feeling I've seen this on older versions too (very intermittently)

Okay, I packaged a new version. The only change is that I recompiled the binary with some architecture specific optimizations. Instead of using -O3 -DNDEBUG, I have now recompiled using -O3 -DNDEBUG -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ftree-vectorize -mfloat-abi=softfp -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant. Due to the changed flags the game might be less stable. If you notice any such problems, please post about them in here. If it is reasonable stable I'll ask ED to upload this version to openhandhelds.org. If someone has access to apps.openpandora.org, feel free to upload it there, too. Personally I don't care too much where the binary is uploaded to, but won't bother uploading it myself to 500 different places, since the 300MB upload takes some ages...

If you want to check if your download is likely to be identical to what I uploaded, here is the md5sum:
d1143497c3f7bff15e2877f6da0d5ee2 wesnoth-1.8.3-2.pnd

And now, the download link: Download wesnoth-1.8.3-2.pnd

Hello to all this is my first post
Having some problems getting Wesnoth 1.8.3 to work, I have reflashed OS hotfix 3 onto nand also tried various SD cards (32GB class 6 & class 10) formated using panasonic SD formater. I have placed the PND in pandora/apps it shows up on the desktop but when I try to run it all that happens is the SD busy LED flashes a couple of times then the desktop icon the top half of it disapears then nothing,.....any ideas?

When did you download the OS HotFix 3 image?
The version that had been released had older boost libraries and Wesnoth didn't work.
Fixed that and reupped the image a few days ago.

Back