Release Battle For Wesnoth 1.6.2

Cpasjuste

There is a few weeks back, i compiled wesnoth for the pandora, but it was an old version ( 1.4.6 ).
I then hear around that latest wesnoth has a lot of great improvement, so i decided to give it a try.

So here it is, latest stable wesnoth version (1.6.2) built for the pandora, and working great, and it also work online :D (just tried) :

http://mydedibox.fr/_stuff/pandora/wesnoth-1.6.2.zip

borgqueenx posted on May 24 2009 at 11:30 PM said:
maby post some screenies...because the pandora aint out yet....
+1, I'm sorry but my ARM assembly interpreter embedded in my brain is currently a bit rusty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to let people know that it's working great, but i'm not sure some screenshot are necessary since they are the same as a PC.

Cpasjuste posted on May 25 2009 at 03:45 AM said:
I just wanted to let people know that it's working great, but i'm not sure some screenshot are necessary since they are the same as a PC.
So this might help a little.

Cpasjuste posted on May 25 2009 at 03:45 AM said:
good job cpas, this is going to fun on the pandora.

Cpasjuste posted on May 25 2009 at 09:45 AM said:
Video or it didn't happen! :p
Nah, j/k, it's awesome news! If we get some additional touch screen integration that would enable us to 1. avoid using right-clicks for actions and 2. be able to access the right-click menu easier, it would be even more awesome though.

This is great news - battle for Wesnoth is one of my favourite PC games (I love TBS and war games). As another poster said it would be great if we could get some specific pandora controls though

First, thanks :)

I think we just need a right mouse click, so i may try to do for exemple that if "L" button is pressed before touching the screen, then it's a right click, else it's a left one.

Right click (context menu) on touchscreen is usually done by "tap and hold" (long tap). I'm familiar with it from Palm and Windows Mobile.

peca posted on May 28 2009 at 12:37 PM) Right click (context menu) on touchscreen is usually done by "tap and hold" (long tap said:
. I'm familiar with it from Palm and Windows Mobile.
Yeah, but somehow tapping and holding kinda sucks imo. Id rather do a fast paced move (that might take just as long ;)) when playing games, it's just the feel.

But if you have the pandora in your left hand, the left trigger might be easily available like cpasjuste says, with an maybe alternate key for when playing on tabletop, but dunno yet how that's gonna work with the Pandora.

I think i will add that when the pandora is out, it will be easier to find the best solution.

note that a significant minority of Pandora owners are left-handed. So.. there should be a way to re-map to the right trigger somewhere if you use that trigger + stylus = right-click.

lulzfish posted on May 28 2009 at 06:10 PM said:
note that a significant minority of Pandora owners are left-handed. So.. there should be a way to re-map to the right trigger somewhere if you use that trigger + stylus = right-click.
Let's enable stackable mappings! There can be a master keymap that can be enabled (optionally) for left-handed users that maps the left trigger to the right and vice versa. Then you don't have to deal with it in ever single #"¤ app!

lulzfish posted on May 28 2009 at 06:10 PM said:
I'm left-handed :) but isn't it possible to map them both at the same time, so whichever you press L, R or even both, it's a right click?

I'm a leftie, too! I would favour rudimentary gesture recognition for picking up a right-click. Somehow the idea of holding a shift button doesn't quite sound right to me... but I could be horribly wrong. Swiping up, down, left or right is easy to recognize programmatically and easy to do.

I'm not a big strategy gamer and have shied away from most turn-based strategy games (bar Advance Wars, that was awesome), but even I've got to admit Wesnoth is pretty shiny.

Fortunately for you lefties, the OP team allready confirmed that all the keys can be remapped. If i were left handed i'd change the settings in linux/keyboard settings/whatever_im_not_a_linux_pro ; ) (someone will post a howto/tutorial within days of release im sure) instead of a per game base. That way all games would be automatically changed.

But since im two handed, i could be wrong, i can do most stuff with either hand :)

Edit: edit ; )

WoD posted on May 28 2009 at 08:48 PM said:
I'm a leftie, too! I would favour rudimentary gesture recognition for picking up a right-click. Somehow the idea of holding a shift button doesn't quite sound right to me... but I could be horribly wrong. Swiping up, down, left or right is easy to recognize programmatically and easy to do.
I'm not a big strategy gamer and have shied away from most turn-based strategy games (bar Advance Wars, that was awesome), but even I've got to admit Wesnoth is pretty shiny.

Well I blaim the schools. Gone are the days when teachers would use a good strong wooden ruler to correct any freakish left-handed behaviour.
Ok this is not PC in today's climate but it would make keymaping easier. :D

I played westnoth (on my linux box) after first seeing it had been ported to the pandora. Very addictive. I have downloaded the latest zip, replacing the previous (sadly unused) version. Still remains my only download to date. (edit: Rude of me - Thanks for all your efforts cpasjuste)

I guess it's pointless until nearer the shipping date (and we all know that is soon (<12 months)) but wouldn't it be a good idea to start using the Pandora File Archive.

Back