Banana Pi UMPC, anyone?

Tell me more about the keyboard. Specifically, how is it for typing? Could you comfortably type with it on a desk, or is it thumb typing only? Will the markings get rubbed off? Do you think the keyboard could last years of heavy typing?

I think it's a pretty good keyboard when considering the size of this device. It's not the keyboard you'd use to write your 'great novel' on. However, for minor typing needs, it is pretty good. As good or better than the Pandora. Better than the GPD WIN I had.

You can type on it either on a desk surface (which is mostly how I use it...) or thumb type. Unless you have tiny, skinny fingers, you won't be doing real 'touch typing' on it. I mostly use my index and middle fingers, and sometimes my middle finger. So, quasi-touch typing....

The keys are a somewhat soft rubber(?) material. Not hard like the Pandora and GPD WIN keys.

Hard to know about the markings and longevity of the keyboard, but it seems pretty well constructed.

Hope this helps a bit...
[doublepost=1523282734,1523282368][/doublepost]
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just wanna say that I'll be ordering one of these. Only problem is that Chris will only make it if he can work on 3 or 4 of them at the same time (probably for best efficiency or something), so if there's anyone else thinking about getting one, too, that'll help me out as well.

EDIT: He's just ordered 4 Banana Pi Zeros and I think he already has a few people who might order, but still, could always ask.

That's great, AVahne, think you'll have fun with it, like I am...

btw, did you ask Chris what he has already finished and available now? A few weeks ago, he had a white one and a pink on available, ready to ship. Almost went with the white one....

As for why he wants to do several at a time, it surely is about efficiency. He's 3D printing the cases himself, then assembling the innards. So, I can see that it makes sense to do several at a time and get a rhythm going on the different component assemblies.

Chris is really a nice guy to deal with. He emailed me yesterday, Sunday, just to see how I was doing with the UMPC, since he hadn't heard from me for about 3 days...how many vendors do that kind of follow-up?

I think it's a pretty good keyboard when considering the size of this device. It's not the keyboard you'd use to write your 'great novel' on. However, for minor typing needs, it is pretty good. As good or better than the Pandora. Better than the GPD WIN I had.

You can type on it either on a desk surface (which is mostly how I use it...) or thumb type. Unless you have tiny, skinny fingers, you won't be doing real 'touch typing' on it. I mostly use my index and middle fingers, and sometimes my middle finger. So, quasi-touch typing....

The keys are a somewhat soft rubber(?) material. Not hard like the Pandora and GPD WIN keys.

Hard to know about the markings and longevity of the keyboard, but it seems pretty well constructed.

Hope this helps a bit...
[doublepost=1523282734,1523282368][/doublepost]

That's great, AVahne, think you'll have fun with it, like I am...

btw, did you ask Chris what he has already finished and available now? A few weeks ago, he had a white one and a pink on available, ready to ship. Almost went with the white one....

As for why he wants to do several at a time, it surely is about efficiency. He's 3D printing the cases himself, then assembling the innards. So, I can see that it makes sense to do several at a time and get a rhythm going on the different component assemblies.

Chris is really a nice guy to deal with. He emailed me yesterday, Sunday, just to see how I was doing with the UMPC, since he hadn't heard from me for about 3 days...how many vendors do that kind of follow-up?
Yeah he really is a nice guy. I haven't asked him yet if he already has any units lying around, as I wanted to have a weird, custom color scheme that includes yellow and brown. He didnt have those colors though, so I ordered those filaments for him. If anyone wants a yellow or chocolate colored PuterPi, those should be available options soon, probably :)

How much does one of these cost and how does one order one thanks looks original I like original.

How much does one of these cost and how does one order one thanks looks original I like original.

Please contract Chris directly for ordering and pricing.

Start by checking out his YouTube video linked in my first post. His contact info is in the text description below the video.

I have found him to be very responsive by email.

Mark

Last edited:
Not sure why you're hesitant to just list the price.
It's minimum $250; price goes up depending on demand and availability, but that's the ballpark.

Not sure why you're hesitant to just list the price.
It's minimum $250; price goes up depending on demand and availability, but that's the ballpark.

Because Chris is not running a store or business per se. Think he's a hobbyist that decided to share what he created with the community. At this price, he's not really making money on doing this. So, figure he should be the one to say what it costs.

What if I stated it's $250 and then either due to parts increases or him deciding that for all his efforts and expenses, he should charge a bit more, then people might say that I said price is on $x and now they and Chris would be upset with me for setting expectations.

Now you know why I've been hesitant to state price.

I don't think there's any problem with the way WizardStan has presented the price - it gives you an idea of what to expect, and prepares you for the fact the price can change.

Hey Archimark, you ever get that new thing you were waiting on?

Yes and No, sort of situation....

By that I mean that I got the kit, but it's not fully assembled yet....that's another story....

To let the surprise out, I was enjoying Banana Pi, so, thought why not have some more Pi....

So, got the Noodle Pi kit......pretty darn small.....like size of a pack of cigarettes....3.5" display....

http://noodlepi.com/

Here's a video review of it in action:

Will probably try to finish assembly in the next day or so...need to be in the right mood to deal with it...

If I get it working, will post some comparison pics with the Banana Pi....

Was going to think that's pretty cool, and that's a good video, but I'm pretty unimpressed with that device. Especially since what the creator is selling is just yet another a 3D printed Raspberry Pi Zero case, just in a small tablet form factor. It's cool that he sells the preassembled units, too, for a bit less than Chris's UMPC, but I just don't like how he's overselling his product on the crowdfunding page. Especially when the things he calls "docks" are just clip holders for various Chinese bluetooth devices.
Don't get me wrong, this could be a fun project to do for people who want something small like this, but as a finished product it just doesn't impress me. Doesn't seem all that different from the many other small Pi handheld computers out there. Chris's effort on the other hand just feels more complete and thought out. Would be cool if that Lunduke fellow could make a video about Chris's PuterPi.

EDIT: Oh and I was wondering: since Chris's UMPC doesn't seem to have speakers or a headphone jack, can you still get sound off it via Bluetooth? I know that there's a way to get sound off a Pi Zero through GPIO, so I would probably try seeing if there's an equivalent method for Banana Pi but having more options would be nice.

Last edited:
Understand your points, AVahne.....

Agree that Chris's device is better in a variety of ways.

You can get audio from USB speakers, probably BT too.

I just received some tiny USB speakers Friday. But left them at office, so haven't tested yet. Will test Monday. I know Chris has gotten speakers working.

I've told Chris that his V2 UMPC ought to have speakers in it. But tight fit I know. The other thing I'd like is built-in ethernet port.

To clarify about Noodle Pi kit, it includes more than just the printed case, it includes pre-cut wires, display cable, and some other parts. But buyer has to purchase other parts as maker noted.

Here's a photo of setup when I'm at work using the hub.....

Hub has the keyboard, WiFi, speakers, and AC adapter attached.

And here's a few pics of Noodle Pi kit supplied by maker:

1RIy7p.jpg

The case with end cover in second photo is the protective case maker has available. Not clearly shown is the dock connector piece.

Other components needed are supplied by buyer.

Yeah that would be mine. Unfortunately the material turned out to be pretty bad, so we're gonna try to get it returned and he'll order the material from another brand he's familiar with.

That's too bad....sorry to hear that...but glad Chris is getting another material for you...

Looks like Chris is working on getting a bigger 5.9 inch 1080p screen to fit in his UMPC design. I'm not totally sure if it's for the UMPC or his new handheld dock device or both, but now I'm wondering if I should consider asking him to use that on mine.

Looks like Chris is working on getting a bigger 5.9 inch 1080p screen to fit in his UMPC design. I'm not totally sure if it's for the UMPC or his new handheld dock device or both, but now I'm wondering if I should consider asking him to use that on mine.

Sounds interesting.....took a look at his instagram page....does look different.....hmmmm......assume case would need to get a bit larger...

Welp, it just seems like that's for the handheld dock device he's been designing. Oh well.

I asked Chris. He says it is using the stick for a Windows OS laptop.

Back