Bad News

They must to release a press note or something official to inform the people.
I trust you Rikku2000, but I want to see this from other sources, like distributors for example.

Oh, it's really sad if it's true. I don't like to code Android apps :p And so many games/apps are in C/C++, not Java, for port... I don't care about emulation :p

And the OpenPandora... It doesn't appetize me. Even its keyboard and the apparently bad positioned analogs. Obviously, I never saw/touched one.

If it's true. I think no information will be published to fungp. They don't care about their site in 1st place(only ie 6&7 compatibility).
So GPH was dead already.
Fuck i've bought last month my caanoo :D

Well guys, does it REALLY matter if GPH is gone?
It's not like we were all buying their crappy games lol. They never really understood the scene. As long as the community keeps developing for it, the Caanoo will NEVER die! I might just have to buy a backup one now :)
Don't get depressed about it!

rotation said:
Well guys, does it REALLY matter if GPH is gone?

Yeah it does. There arnt very many devices out there that focus on being open. Even though GPH screwed up in the design and marketing of the caanoo they still were developing open source systems.
Hopefully OP has success in Germany, otherwise open source handhelds scene is looking bleak.

Last edited by a moderator:
These news sounds pretty unofficial to me as you are simply quoting a very vague and brief chat history from someone that's not very strong in the English language. Could be a simple misinterpretation.

This was expected. BAD marketing + BAD design [analog nub instead of analog d-pad] + BAD contact from GPH side + BAD ideas [lack of compatibilty between WIZ and CAANOO. wrong PR ] and many more. GPH was always architect of its doom..

I really liked GPH back in GP2X days.. but it was in 2007, so long ago..

StreaK said:
This was expected. BAD marketing + BAD design [analog nub instead of analog d-pad] + BAD contact from GPH side + BAD ideas [lack of compatibilty between WIZ and CAANOO. wrong PR ] and many more. GPH was always architect of its doom..

Woah, OPT's fucked then :p

It's disappointing in that it could have been so much more, but there's always something else to fill the void. It would be good to have a stable platform for more than a couple of years at a time, but it is what it is.

When I win the lottery I'll come up with my own handheld, until then I'll keep enjoying my Caanoo and Dingoo :)

This might be a good thing, There will now be a void and there is obviously a need/want for open source consoles so I'm sure something will rise from the ashes and be better yet. Some of these companies GPH, Dingoo etc have been around for awhile and just have not learned from past mistakes maybe someone else will..
I love my Wiz and Cannoo but after the final firmware udated GPH was pretty much dead to me.. Its the guys like Pickle, Hardyx, Rodolfo ,etc who really matter to me.

Reviewing the conversation, I'm not really sure how it could be misinterpreted. As Simon is the front-man/lead-guy/whatever of the software side of the Caanoo and GPH, I figure when he says the team has been "retired", I think its safe to assume that firmware and software development have stopped at GPH, though I wouldn't assume that means production as well.

I'm not sure what impact that's going to have on the community as it stands today; I see from the openhandhelds site that people are still producing software for devices as far back as the GP2X, so I doubt that GPH letting go of the Caanoo (or even shutting down entirely) is going to have that big an impact on Caanoo development. It's not like the community ever turned to GPH for software anyway.

It is worrisome on the level of that one-year garauntee, though, as the device has only been out for a year...

On another note, this post has been here for only 12 hours or so, and has garnered over 30 relies. I suppose this place isn't so dead after all...

Remy said:
Reviewing the conversation, I'm not really sure how it could be misinterpreted. As Simon is the front-man/lead-guy/whatever of the software side of the Caanoo and GPH, I figure when he says the team has been "retired", I think its safe to assume that firmware and software development have stopped at GPH, though I wouldn't assume that means production as well.

I'm not sure what impact that's going to have on the community as it stands today; I see from the openhandhelds site that people are still producing software for devices as far back as the GP2X, so I doubt that GPH letting go of the Caanoo (or even shutting down entirely) is going to have that big an impact on Caanoo development. It's not like the community ever turned to GPH for software anyway.

It is worrisome on the level of that one-year garauntee, though, as the device has only been out for a year...

On another note, this post has been here for only 12 hours or so, and has garnered over 30 relies. I suppose this place isn't so dead after all...

On the other hand, if GPH is no longer doing any new development entirely (and not just software development) there won't be a successor to the Caanoo. This is the impression I'm getting, and echoes what I've heard from others for a while now.

Rikku2000 said:
why GPH is Close?
- Caanoo is to expensiv not much solds.
- Smartphones like Apple/Android com over the Markt,
thats reason no one buy the Caanoo.

for now there is no Offcial statement from GPH.
Caanoo to expencive? Can't imagine what they mean, compared to the Pandora, a Caanoo costs nearly nothing. 115€ available in EDs shop for example. Not even a Nintendo DSi can match with this price. I also doubt that crappy Touchscreen-only-Smartphones are a match to real gaming controls. Gaming Handhelds and Smartphones are no competitors imho, or do iPhones affect PSP and NDS sales in big style and vice versa? ;)
How much Caanoo had been sold worldwide by the way? I don't know any numbers.

Pickle said:
Yeah it does. There arnt very many devices out there that focus on being open. Even though GPH screwed up in the design and marketing of the caanoo they still were developing open source systems.
Hopefully OP has success in Germany, otherwise open source handhelds scene is looking bleak.
I also hope that OP has success with the new production and that much more Pandoras are produced. But at the end, it is the Software, that makes Hardware successful. ;) Open Pandora really needs much more coders that do stuff for the Console, commercial games could be also an option. Of course, the Coders should HAVE a Pandora to code on, which is the main Problem at the Moment. All this "blind coding" without a Pandora is some kind of impressive Art but not the best solution imho.
I imagine some really big, exclussive Games that instantly sell thousands of Pandoras, I know it is unlikely but I dream about games, that make Millions of People desperate want a Pandora because it is the only Device they can play the Game on. :D

Well... I still believe in the potential of people who develop software for the Caanoo. In fact, much more, than the GPH that the best that has been done so far to release the 1.0.6 firmware that allowed overclocking.

If the GPH have pride and want to see their former customers happy, make available the code for the development of Caanoo openly. Would be at least a form of consolation for those who believed in the platform...

Luo=-_

First, this is old news for some (like Pickle and myself).
I knew about this for three months, as that was the time when Simon left my office.
It was planned he stays at my office for two years or more, but it only lasted for 6 months.

GPH is NOT dead.
However, their gaming devices (most properly) are.

GPH split the gaming company into its own company which is now working on software and FunGP.
The Caanoo is still available and can still be bought from GPH.
They are currently NOT planning to build a new handheld, as the Caanoo didn't sell too well.

It's a shame in my opinion - they could've done it right if thy just listened to the community a bit more.

Some of you might know GPH invited me last year to show me their latest new handheld, the Caanoo.
Most of the time I was talking to Tony back then.
Once I've seen the Caanoo, I told them right away that selling it will be hard.

While the Analog stick is nice, it does only make sense if there are games supporting it.
The LCD Bezel was there at that time as well and I told them to fix that as well...
And the biggest issue for me was: It was about as fast as a WIZ, but not compatible.
And the price was too high.

I thought it will be hard to sell...

The ones who already own a WIZ would have no need to buy the Caanoo, as it didn't bring much improvement.
This is especially bad as a lot of devs would not get the new system, and as the Caanoo was not compatible with the WIZ, there wouldn't be much development happening at the beginning...
As the WIZ was available cheaper and had more software as well, the Caanoo had a very hard start.

Within the last few months, the Caanoo started to sell better. More software is available now.

It really is a nice system.

I only wished GPH would've showed me the system upfront :/
When they showed it, they couldn't change it anymore. It was finalized.

I am really sad GPH doesn't release a new system.
I would've loved it to continue to work with them.

I don't think the marked for OpenSource handhelds is over - I just do think that GPH did a bad move with the Caanoo.
It should've either had better specs than the WIZ OR be a new version of the WIZ, 100% compatible.
Then it would've sold way better and would've opened the way to a new, improved handheld from them.
They have the experience of how to design and create a nicely designed handheld and have the team for a reliable mass production.
Something we were missing when we started with the Pandora.

Well, as some might know, I've now taken on the task to move the Pandora production to Germany and make it more organized and reliable.
I hope I can manage to do so.

Maybe I could afford to create a new OpenHandheld next year, with a GP2X/WIZ/Caanoo formfactor.
Maybe with the same hardware as the Pandora, to make games compatible?

While the Pandora is nice, I'm sure there are users who'd rather want a cheaper handheld without WiFi and the keyboard with that classic formfactor.

If that happens, it wouldn't happen before next year.

Until then, I'll continue to also sell the Caanoo.
It's a nice system for a good price, has a lot of good software already.

Thanks for the info ED, a smaller and cheaper Pandora handheld actually sounds like a good idea. How 'bout calling it the "Pandora Micro" or something similar. At any rate it seems a big chunk of the open source scene is now resting on your shoulders! God knows the Dingoo scene isn't looking too good, there's a different handheld each week and they mostly go unsupported.

I am disappointed that GPH is leaving the hardware arena but is there any chance that some of the employees will splinter off and start a new company? Like GPH did with GamePark? I hope something happens, I always liked all the GPH consoles including the GP32.

Now, is there any way to get some of those translated games on FunGP........ please?

Back