Caanoo Review

WarmFluffyUK said:
Sphinxter said:
EvilDragon said:
Sphinxter said:
Lord quack has vanished into the wilderness, should have been here by now, been listed as MIA and presumed to have been eaten by a bear.

Eh? He was last online Aug 06 2010 06:17 AM.
So I guess he's back but not doing much here at the boards now.

I meant >here<, like physically IRL.
Here isn't exactly a physical place. not even the IRL is physical....

OK soz having a laugh, we know what you meant though: Here as in the forums :)

No, physically here, as in sharing the same longitude and latitude.

ed; and altitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Screen
Nice TFT screen, pretty good in daylight too, my only little niggle is the casing covers the very edges, if you tilt the Caanoo you can see the pixels underneath showing that the screen is indeed extend slightly under the casing.

Yes, I think I can see what you mean here, judging on this video of the Caanoo playing Slap Fight.
EhMAW.jpg

It's a considerably small flaw though, I don't imagine it being too much of a problem for most games, they're usually good and have a margin for things like the HUD graphics.
What troubles me though if I think this flaw might be present in the first batch of units, since this is a white unit. Were they any pre-release white units?

Edit: You know, it was entirely by chance that the image I pulled off of google, matched the screenshot from the video, it really was.

christo930 I agreed with the first part of your post with the volume being over engineered. An older style dial probably would have been better.

You lost me on the second part of your post though. Wiz hasn't been out that long so I don't think too many devs would have disappeared and not be able to recompile. It would be nice if it was backward compatible but it actually doesn't seem to be too big a deal at this point. Maybe someone will make a compatibility layer for the Caanoo to play wiz software. The gp2x was a fairly sizable upgrade over the gp32 though initially devs weren't always noticing as high performance gains as they had hoped. The f200 was just a revision of the f100 so unfair to expect too much and had more reliable controller and touchscreen which they would include from then on. The wiz brought 3d acceleration and a faster cpu. Caanoo is revision of the wiz with accelerometer and vibration. Maybe no huge performance gains from each but some noticeable improvements or additions with each console.

Does anyone know how the vibrator works, from code? How do I turn it on and off and so on? This seems like a nice feature, I can imagine interesting ways to use this for music-makers .. ;)

torpor said:
Does anyone know how the vibrator works, from code? How do I turn it on and off and so on? This seems like a nice feature, I can imagine interesting ways to use this for music-makers .. ;)

SplinterGU wants to add this function to BennuGD, look here:

Link.

SplinterGU can speak English, if you want to contact him. Or wait until he added the function as the BennuGD source code is always available.

Back