Bad News

FUUUCK! I just typed a long ass reply to this topic and I wasn't "logged in." Anyway, what I basically said was the lack of deadzones in emulators, like OhBoy and the new Neo Geo Pocket one, was what was ultimately stopping me from really being completely happy with my Caanoo. I probably won't buy another open source handheld and stick with a hackable Nintendo or Sony handheld from now on because of these issues. Like I said when I tried to post this before, I'm not blaming the homebrew community on this board, but I just think the general lack of support for Caanoo is its downfall. I still love my Caanoo for the emulators that I do have that work properly, but believe that more could have been done to perfect certain emulators. That's all I think.

Oh and if anyone could let me know if deadzones will ever be implemented into Ohboy and Neo Geo Pocket emulator I will be happy :D

Orion4874 said:
Thanks for the info ED, a smaller and cheaper Pandora handheld actually sounds like a good idea. How 'bout calling it the "Pandora Micro" or something similar. At any rate it seems a big chunk of the open source scene is now resting on your shoulders! God knows the Dingoo scene isn't looking too good, there's a different handheld each week and they mostly go unsupported.

I am disappointed that GPH is leaving the hardware arena but is there any chance that so of the employees will splinter off any start a new company? Like GPH did with GamePark? I hope something happens, I always liked all the GPH consoles including the GP32.

Now, is there any way to get some of those translated games on FunGP........ please?

As for the Dingoo, We will see OpenDingux beta has been released and it still has great community, so we will see..

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Well, as some might know, I've now taken on the task to move the Pandora production to Germany and make it more organized and reliable.
I hope I can manage to do so.

Maybe I could afford to create a new OpenHandheld next year, with a GP2X/WIZ/Caanoo formfactor.
Maybe with the same hardware as the Pandora, to make games compatible?

While the Pandora is nice, I'm sure there are users who'd rather want a cheaper handheld without WiFi and the keyboard with that classic formfactor.

If that happens, it wouldn't happen before next year.

It's sad concerning GPH. More players in the arena means more options and more motivation to innovate and distinguish yourself from the rest. This goes for open-source as well as proprietary closed stuff.

As for the possibility of a cheaper handheld without wifi/keyboard, may I strongly suggest you keep the USB host port? (and standard sized if possible at all) Doing so would keep the door open to those who want to use it with external controllers and/or keyboard+mouse. (Think USB hub with wifi/bluetooth dongle, etc)

Well, it's WAY too early to just think about something like that... first production needs to be reliable and enough money needs to be made for such projects, so it won't be before April / May next year before I could even start something like that.

But I'd really like to have something with such a form factor...

It is sad that GPH made some mistakes and now has to pay for it, but it seems this might be a major opening for OpenPandora, I do agree however that the Pandora in its current state is too complex for the audience the GP2x was made for but a Pandora Micro might be just the thing, it could just run the Minimenu and have the keyboard removed.

Sounds pretty good to me actually.

EvilDragon said:
GPH is NOT dead.
However, their gaming devices (most properly) are.

GPH split the gaming company into its own company which is now working on software and FunGP.
The Caanoo is still available and can still be bought from GPH.
They are currently NOT planning to build a new handheld, as the Caanoo didn't sell too well.

Oh, that's a good thing: it lets the Caanoo be a more stablished platform, instead of releasing new handhelds so soon and not retrocompatible :p
I have a Wiz and Caanoo was announced two month later. I would not buy a Caanoo, as another GPH handheld could be release soon after.
Now I know that, I can think on doing this on near future.

For Pandora, well, when it get reduced on size and keyboard ripped out... And I prefer a more dedicated game system than a nanocomputer...

Sad news! But considering I still play my GP32blu+ and my GP2Xf100 I reckon I've got a good 8 or so years of fine retro gaming left on my Caanoo. To me it's the nicest unit out of GP/GPH so far. Only the bezel puts me off, and I've gotten used to that over time. The Caanoo really is a lovely little emulator. I may have to get another and leave it boxed up just in case. :D

Oh and ED if you do release a stripped down Pandora, in the classic handheld form-factor (and with the communities input) I'd buy one.

rotation said:
Well guys, does it REALLY matter if GPH is gone?
It's not like we were all buying their crappy games lol. They never really understood the scene. As long as the community keeps developing for it, the Caanoo will NEVER die! I might just have to buy a backup one now :)
Don't get depressed about it!

Well yes it matters, if GPH is gone there will be no new caanoo's. The market isn't exactly overflowing with open source handhelds now is it? There's the Pandora but that thing is rarer then pink unicorns and the Chinese made Dingo's which aren't exactly state of the art nor open.

It's really a shame because I do believe there is a market for a device such as the Caanoo. Might not be a huge market, but a sustainable one there is, if handled properly. GPH seemed to be developing allures of grandeur with their fungp site and that never really took of, they released the Caanoo way to close to the Wiz and the device just wasn't a real upgrade from the Wiz anyway.

EvilDragon said:
Well, as some might know, I've now taken on the task to move the Pandora production to Germany and make it more organized and reliable.
I hope I can manage to do so.

Maybe I could afford to create a new OpenHandheld next year, with a GP2X/WIZ/Caanoo formfactor.
Maybe with the same hardware as the Pandora, to make games compatible?

While the Pandora is nice, I'm sure there are users who'd rather want a cheaper handheld without WiFi and the keyboard with that classic formfactor.

If that happens, it wouldn't happen before next year.

Until then, I'll continue to also sell the Caanoo.
It's a nice system for a good price, has a lot of good software already.

Hoping the move to Germany works out for you, been wanting to buy a Pandora for a while now but the supply issue's kept me off so far. If you pull it of and manage to ramp up production you've got yourself a customer.

As for a new OpenHandheld device next year, I'd rather see the issue's with production resolved and stabilized, new hardware is always great, but if designing (and announcing it before it's even designed!) a new device might drain your funds. I've seen it happen before where small companies announce their next big thing while their current flagship product just got released killing their own sales due to customers waiting for the new one (a German example: Phasee5).

Anyway, just my two cents ;)

ED, don't repeat the GPH error. We (I think, or maybe only me) want a console with Wi-Fi (without accessories) and, in it's possibile with 2 analogs. And we want it cheap!

It's a pretty crappy situation.

In spite of the negativity heaped on them by various self important jerks (ahem) ...people, at least GPh produced something of good quality, on time and at a good price.

The GP2X-f100 and Caanoo are the best handheld gadgets I own, (including all my gaming handhelds).

So long, and thanks GPh. :)

coldfis said:
Shame. GPh products were getting better all the time, Caanoo is what the GP2X should've been.
Ah well, even with no more activity the device has been worth the investment for me.

If only Pandora was a viable option...

...hmm, Android or iOS?
The PSP's still a viable option and perhaps the PSP Vita may be as well. In fact, the PSP's a superior option for console/2D gaming in general.

The Pandora, as it's users always like to argue, is more than just a gaming device. So it's not really a practical option since it's asking price is over 4x's that of a PSP\Caanoo. That's highway robbery if you're buying it in place of a Caanoo.

The Caanoo is an example of one poor design decision after another. Speakers placed in the back where fingers can cover the holes? Rows of pixels covered by front Bezel? Volume slider that doesn't stay put? 3D nub for a 2D emulation device?

Those are some seriously boneheaded decisions. They also influenced my decision not to buy one.

Berserk said:
coldfis said:
Shame. GPh products were getting better all the time, Caanoo is what the GP2X should've been.
Ah well, even with no more activity the device has been worth the investment for me.

...hmm, Android or iOS?
The PSP's still a viable option and perhaps the PSP Vita may be as well. In fact, the PSP's a superior option for console/2D gaming in general.

The Pandora, as it's users always like to argue, is more than just a gaming device. So it's not really a practical option since it's it's asking price is over 4x's that of a PSP\Caanoo. That's highway robbery if you're buying it in place of a Caanoo.

In my opinion any device you have to 'jailbreak' is not an option. I dont want to jump through hoops to be able to use a device the way i want. Especially when there are alternatives like gph,dingoo,pandora that are available.

Also pandora is not a caanoo and visa versa. Yes the pandora costs much more than the caanoo but the spec are completely different too. Caanoo is designed as a cheap budget device where the pandora is what would your dream device be. It comes down to you get what you pay for. If you cant afford a pandora, at least you have another choice, at least for a little while.

Pickle said:
Berserk said:
coldfis said:

...hmm, Android or iOS?

The Pandora, as it's users always like to argue, is more than just a gaming device. So it's not really a practical option since it's it's asking price is over 4x's that of a PSP\Caanoo. That's highway robbery if you're buying it in place of a Caanoo.

In my opinion any device you have to 'jailbreak' is not an option. I dont want to jump through hoops to be able to use a device the way i want. Especially when there are alternatives like gph,dingoo,pandora that are available.

Also pandora is not a caanoo and visa versa. Yes the pandora costs much more than the caanoo but the spec are completely different too. Caanoo is designed as a cheap budget device where the pandora is what would your dream device be. It comes down to you get what you pay for. If you cant afford a pandora, at least you have another choice, at least for a little while.
Complaining about to what amounts to nothing more than a simple firmware update is something someone would do if they're extremely lazy and incompetent. The amount of knowledge one needs to perform a firmware update pales in comparison to the knowledge one needs to properly set up a GPH device. All it is is just one more step in the process, but a necessary one if you want the best.

Rodolfo said:
For Pandora, well, when it get reduced on size and keyboard ripped out... And I prefer a more dedicated game system than a nanocomputer...
Buying a Pandora just to play games is like buying a car that also functions as a boat, except you don't live near a body of water. As a gaming device alone, the Pandora isn't worth twice that of a GHP\PSP, let alone over 4x's as much.

I like your idea of a gamer-lite version, but that company does everything at a snail's pace, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Berserk said:
Pickle said:

Complaining about to what amounts to nothing more than a simple firmware update is something someone would do if they're extremely lazy and incompetent. The amount of knowledge one needs to perform a firmware update pales in comparison to the knowledge one needs to properly set up a GPH device. All it is is just one more step in the process, but a necessary one if you want the best.
I dont think pickle have technical difficulties to jailbreak a device.... Rather legal one. I do have the same issue.
Due to the kind of contract I'm working on, I have high security credential. If I'm catched doing something illegal, I lost my credential and so my job.
I just cant jailbreak a device no matter how easy it is....

RIP...

I will keep by beloved Wiz however until it finally dies. I just hope this wonderful scene survives.

Why did they have to made this whole network/fungp whatever stuff? Why didn't they just work together with the community? It's not the smartphones nor the prize.
A backwards compatible, more powerful/optimized Wiz with more offical support for developers and periodicaly coding competitions would have been such a great thing...

Remy said:
It is worrisome on the level of that one-year garauntee, though, as the device has only been out for a year...
I wonder how many people would've bought a Caanoo if the battery weren't replaceable? It's possible that future customers may not be able to replace their batteries, so they're essentially buying a device that lasts only as long as the battery it came with.

Berserk said:

Its not a technical issue but a ethical one. Im saying that my personal choice is not to support devices that do not allow me to use them as I intend to . If company X sells device Y and I cant run my program on it with out 3rd party hacks then its not for me.
And for that reason losing GPH is big disappointment, cause even if they got a number of things wrong they got the most important thing right, openness.

Back