The Caanoo is GamePark Holdings' new console.
It is the successor to the GP2X Wiz, and some have described it as an 'upgrade' to that console. This is because it adds no more power (other than an increase in ram), and is mainly a change in form factor and screen size (3.5"). A G-Sensor and a Vibration motor have been added, and the D-Pad has been replaced with an analog joystick.
Pictures and specs were originally leaked to the forum in this thread (which itself sourced from gpain.com and a Korean blog).
The Caanoo was officially announced at E3 2010, where GPH had a developer booth.
The full specs are:
- CPU - ARM9 533MHz + 3D GPU
- No upgrade over the Wiz, here. The Caanoo should be able to overclock to 800MHz, but that can be tested when units start to ship.
- RAM - 128MB
- Double the Wiz's RAM. Some developers have noted that this will help when porting games and applications to the Caanoo. Note: only 86mb is available to applications.
- OS - Custom Linux OS
- Featuring a very nice boot time; faster than any other GPH console so far!
- Display - 3.5" LCD Touchscreen (320 * 240)
- The same resolution as the Wiz. Good news for quick Wiz->Caanoo ports.
- External memory - SD card
- No accessible NAND this time. GPH have said that the Wiz's 2GB NAND was not very stable and meant slower boot-up.
- Battery - 1,850mA
- 'Not user-replaceable'
- Extras - Accelerometer (G sensor), vibration motor, microphone
- Listed by GPH as 'Fun-Factors'. MAME4All already has built-in Gsensor support.
- Dimensions - 146 (w) × 70 (h) × 18.5 (d) mm
- Similar to a Nintendo DS Lite in size.
- Weight - 136g
Video - MPEG4, XVID, DIVX and AVI formats
Audio - OGG, WAV, MP3
Photo - JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG
Ebook - TXT
Bear in mind that these are the formats officially supported by the Caanoo's OS. The Caanoo is open-source, meaning anyone can write and run software on it. No doubt a number of other filetypes will be usable once the Caanoo is out in the open.
Useful Sites and Links
You can order a Caanoo at one of these shops (all ship worldwide):
gp2x.de - Germany Based
play-asia.com - China Based
hardcore-gamer.net - Spain Based
gameseek.co.uk - UK Based
dingoo-digital-usa.com - USA Based
gp2xstore.com - USA Based
Each distributer offers a variety of packages, from the Base Unit through to the Console + Game Pack + Wifi dongle. The Caanoo started shipping to most of these retailers on August 18th.
It is worth mentioning the Wifi dongle now: GPH are pushing the Caanoo as a network-enabled console. It does not have Wifi or Bluetooth built in. However, GPH plan to make a Wifi dongle which will work with both the Wiz and the Caanoo. Some Korean commercial games will have online support, and a browser will most likely be ported for use on the Caanoo (GPH say they will not do this themselves). Discuss and suggest compatible Wifi sticks in this thread.
There are a few news sites which cover GPH info and game releases:
openXile - Users here are free to post news for the site; just follow the guidelines given and wait for approval.
You can also post news to the gp32x front page, just make a thread here (and wait for approval).
GPH have two official Facebook pages where you can ask questions and watch videos:
GPH Facebook Page
Caanoo Facebook Page
The Facebook pages are read by GPH's Overseas Sales Manager, who is happy to answer any questions you have about the Caanoo. There is a simple discussion board there, too. Most of the current videos of the Caanoo can be found on the Facebook page, here.
There are other forum threads with useful Caanoo info and links:
Caanoo In The News
There are some reviews of the Caanoo, written by a number of sites/members:
openXile review by Nova
Play-Asia-Rulez review by flavor
gp32x review by WarmFluffyUK
NewzWeeZ review by Mr 2X (Part 2)
Here is some Caanoo media:
EvilDragon's short overview:
Play-Asia-Rulez's first impressions:
Play-Asia-Rulez's first impressions:
Last edited by a moderator: