Bad News

sebt3 said:
I dont think pickle have technical difficulties to jailbreak a device.... Rather legal one. I do have the same issue.
Due to the kind of contract I'm working on, I have high security credential. If I'm catched doing something illegal, I lost my credential and so my job.
I just cant jailbreak a device no matter how easy it is....
Actually, he specifically cited "jumping through hoops" as his main issue. That falls under "extremely lazy and incompetent" more so than "what one can or can't use while at work." In a strict work environment, bosses don't want people playing games anyway.

Furthermore, using a GPH or Pandora with commercial roms falls under the same scrutany as a PSP with custom firmware, thus you're entire argument revolves around freeware. Sorry, but if that's the case, then I'd rather have a PSP with original firmware than an open source device with inferior freeware. At least then you'd have access to real games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Its not a technical issue but a ethical one. Im saying that my personal choice is not to support devices that do not allow me to use them as I intend to . If company X sells device Y and I cant run my program on it with out 3rd party hacks then its not for me.
And for that reason losing GPH is big disappointment, cause even if they got a number of things wrong they got the most important thing right, openness.
Ethical issue? I call bullshit. I agree that it's a personal choice, but trying to make this about ethics, when practically everyone on this site has emulators set up on their machines, is nothing more than obvious posturing.

Berserk said:
Pickle said:
Its not a technical issue but a ethical one. Im saying that my personal choice is not to support devices that do not allow me to use them as I intend to . If company X sells device Y and I cant run my program on it with out 3rd party hacks then its not for me.
And for that reason losing GPH is big disappointment, cause even if they got a number of things wrong they got the most important thing right, openness.
Ethical issue? I call bullshit. I agree that it's a personal choice, but trying to make this about ethics, when practically everyone on this site has emulators set up on their machines, is nothing more than obvious posturing.

Not really. It's about being able to do whatever the hell you wan't with your device. Not legality. So in that regard it's absolutly about ethics.

Berserk said:
Actually, he specifically cited "jumping through hoops" as his main issue. That falls under "extremely lazy and incompetent" more so than "what one can or can't use while at work." In a strict work environment, bosses don't want people playing games anyway.

Furthermore, using a GPH or Pandora with commercial roms falls under the same scrutany as a PSP with custom firmware, thus you're entire argument revolves around freeware. Sorry, but if that's the case, then I'd rather have a PSP with original firmware than an open source device with inferior freeware. At least then you'd have access to real games.
1) you dont have understand my point
2) arguing that commercial is better than open-source in an open-source community is trolling.

Berserk said:
Pickle said:

You misunderstood the way i used ethical. All im stating is that I have a personal preference to support devices that allow me to run what I want when I want. Buying a device like the PSP would go against that personal choice (which i described as unethical, cause it would be going against what I believe).
I support people in 'jailbreaking' as a right, but I want to take that a step further in saying that consumers should not have to do that in the first place.
I did not mean ethical in the sense that its illegal to jailbreaking a device (which i think is in the users right, there was a case with iphones where users were allowed to jailbreak), I think you went that way since sebt said he would not do so for legal reasons, and he speculated I might do so also.

Also emulators are not illegal, its the roms, but you know that ;-)

redlemon said:
Not really. It's about being able to do whatever the hell you wan't with your device. Not legality. So in that regard it's absolutism about ethics.
Right, which is why I'm not buying into this ethical mumbo jumbo. It's much more simpler than that. If you don't like a product, even for the dumbest of reasons, that's all there is to it. Whether it be laziness, ignorance, or what have you.

Pickle said:
You misunderstood the way i used ethical. All im stating is that I have a personal preference to support devices that allow me to run what I want when I want. Buying a device like the PSP would go against that personal choice (which i described as unethical, cause it would be going against what I believe).
I support people in 'jailbreaking' as a right, but I want to take that a step further in saying that consumers should not have to do that in the first place.
I did not mean ethical in the sense that its illegal to jailbreaking a device (which i think is in the users right, there was a case with iphones where users were allowed to jailbreak), I think you went that way since sebt said he would not do so for legal reasons, and he speculated I might do so also.

Also emulators are not illegal, its the roms, but you know that ;-)
Ok, so perhaps in addition to not wanting to jump through hoops, you also dislike Sony for locking the open source community out of their hardware.

I won't argue with your personal preference, but I don't think that takes away from the PSP being a viable option as a portable open source device.

Berserk said:
Ok, so perhaps in addition to not wanting to jump through hoops, you also dislike Sony for locking the open source community out of their hardware.

He doesn't dislike Sony for that.
But he rather supports companies, even small ones, that try to offer products that are open, and support the open community.

What's wrong with that?

Let's assume you have two choices:

1. A locked down device made by a big manufacturer who doesn't want you to use homebrew and open software on your console
2. A completely open device which has been made by a small company for exact the purpose to run homebrew. This one is a bit less powerful than one from the big company and does cost a bit more.

Which of the two would you choose?

I'd choose the second one. As I rather want to help and support companies who try to offer me a solution for my needs.
It's totally up to you though what you would choose.

If you don't care about the company behind it and just know you can do a workaround and want to play whatever you like on the system, you would probably go for the first one.

Last edited:
sebt3 said:
Berserk said:

1) you dont have understand my point
2) arguing that commercial is better than open-source in an open-source community is trolling.
Yet, you failed to understand my point. How ironic. I also find your finger pointing odd, since on this very open source website, there's 10 times as much traffic on the emulation boards (commercial games) than there is on the homebrew. What I stated isn't trolling. It's simply the truth.

Berserk said:
Buying a Pandora just to play games is like buying a car that also functions as a boat, except you don't live near a body of water. As a gaming device alone, the Pandora isn't worth twice that of a GHP\PSP, let alone over 4x's as much.
I know it's not a game device. I've used the term "nanocomputer" (with tiny keyboard - it reminds me that old eletronics schedulers). And I've never complained about the price. With all those features and without any funds coming for games/apps licenses, it's fine.

Berserk said:

I think I'm the only one who doesn't run any emulator on my Wiz... Just those freeware games, one commercial and my apps (like a supermarket shopping list lol). And, please, I'm not telling/thinking nobody should do it, but I really don't care about emulators on my Wiz.

Berserk said:
Yet, you failed to understand my point. How ironic. I also find your finger pointing odd, since on this very open source website, there's 10 times as much traffic on the emulation boards (commercial games) than there is on the homebrew. What I stated isn't trolling. It's simply the truth.
No that's not the truth, it's your opinion. Opinion that wont be shared by many here.
Also it's an opinion you state high enough to create a flamewar. That's definatly trolling.

If you think the PSP is better than any other handheld, fine by me as long as you dont come here knocking and pissing on everyone else opinion.

I'm not here for emulation. I'm here for homebrews.

Also I dont play at work. Jailbreaking is considered illegal by Apple/Sony/every other big company, and court juges have agreed so far. If I'm in court for no mater what reason (dont have to be connected to my job) I lost my job. As simple as this.

sebt3 said:
Also I dont play at work. Jailbreaking is considered illegal by Apple/Sony/every other big company, and court juges have agreed so far. If I'm in court for no mater what reason (dont have to be connected to my job) I lost my job. As simple as this.

Im almost certain there was a case that sided with the consumers, but your right its not worth the risk if you feel it could effect your wellbeing.

Edit: Found it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/26/iphone-jailbreaking-legal_n_659272.html

EvilDragon said:
He doesn't dislike Sony for that.
But he rather supports companies, even small ones, that try to offer products that are open, and support the open community.

What's wrong with that?

Let's assume you have two choices:

1. A locked down device made by a big manufacturer who doesn't want you to use homebrew and open software on your console
2. A completely open device which has been made by a small company for exact the purpose to run homebrew. This one is a bit less powerful than one from the big company and does cost a bit more.

Which of the two would you choose?

I'd choose the second one. As I rather want to help and support companies who try to offer me a solution for my needs.
It's totally up to you though what you would choose.

If you don't care about the company behind it and just know you can do a workaround and want to play whatever you like on the system, you would probably go for the first one.
And I chose the locked down device and then unlocked it. Problem solved. I don't allow my personal feelings toward Sony/MS/etc. interfere with the actual hardware decision. I tried, but couldn't be convinced to buy a 2D gaming machine without a dpad. The Caanoo also has weak video playback. Then there are concerns regarding future replacement batteries among other things.

The Caanoo is beta quality hardware. I wanted a finished product with strong support. I wanted the better machine and that's what I got.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with one making a personal choice that suits their beliefs, even when they aren't the same as mine. However, just don't expect me to agree with every attempt to justify that position, or attack mine, especially when they don't make much sense.

sebt3 said:
No that's not the truth, it's your opinion. Opinion that wont be shared by many here.
Also it's an opinion you state high enough to create a flamewar. That's definatly trolling.

If you think the PSP is better than any other handheld, fine by me as long as you dont come here knocking and pissing on everyone else opinion.

I'm not here for emulation. I'm here for homebrews.

Anyone who argues that the handhend homebrew scene offers a stronger gaming library than commercial, including the entire MAME\NES\SNES\Genesis\PS1\PSP\etc catalogs, is just arguing for the sake of argument. It's not really a fair comparison to begin with since homebrew projects are made by small teams or single individuals. Once again, perhaps commercial games don't meet your ethics standards.

Btw, it's good to know that commercial game roms are no longer in the gray area with firmware hacking. The courts are just filled with custom firmware PSP users these days. Rom users have it so easy by comparison.

Berserk said:
Of course, there's nothing wrong with one making a personal choice that suits their beliefs, even when they aren't the same as mine. However, just don't expect me to agree with every attempt to justify that position, or attack mine, especially when they don't make much sense.

Thats all I was doing was stating the process at which I came to a decision on what hardware would best suit me and my needs. I dont think I or anyone else said or attacked you for deciding to go with the PSP. You dont need to get a miffed if someone posts a different opinion than yours. Dont take it personal, just follow up with how you came to your decision.

Pickle said:
sebt3 said:

Im almost certain there was a case that sided with the consumers, but your right its not worth the risk if you feel it could effect your wellbeing.

Edit: Found it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/26/iphone-jailbreaking-legal_n_659272.html
Hacked firmwares aren't all too different from emulation. Each attempt to circumvent restrictions, with emulation attempting to bypass host hardware, and hacked firmware attempting to bypass software locks.

Pickle said:
Berserk said:

Thats all I was doing was stating the process at which I came to a decision on what hardware would best suit me and my needs. I dont think I or anyone else said or attacked you for deciding to go with the PSP. You dont need to get a miffed if someone posts a different opinion than yours. Dont take it personal, just follow up with how you came to your decision.
Understood, but when I responded to your original post, the discussion escalated from one about not wanting to jump through hoops to one about personal ethics and legality (sebt3), neither of which were brought up by me. I don't mind discussing those things. I don't even mind the personal attacks because I just ignore em, but just know that being in debate mode doesn't mean I'm miffed. ;)

EvilDragon said:
First, this is old news for some (like Pickle and myself).
I knew about this for three months, as that was the time when Simon left my office.
It was planned he stays at my office for two years or more, but it only lasted for 6 months.

GPH is NOT dead.
However, their gaming devices (most properly) are.

GPH split the gaming company into its own company which is now working on software and FunGP.
The Caanoo is still available and can still be bought from GPH.
They are currently NOT planning to build a new handheld, as the Caanoo didn't sell too well.

ED : what does that mean really ?

Caanoo and Wiz production is stopped ? We can buy them until they're out of stock from the sellers ?

Thx.

I wonder if the recent news regarding the PSP Vita's specs acted as the proverbial straw that broke the c.amel's back. This is only a theory, but if GPH were on the fence about releasing a new system in a couple years, I could see where the Vita would discourage them. With sales down as they are now, how could they imagine competing with something even better right around the corner? Their recent 1 step forward, 2 steps back approach just won't cut it against the next generation.

That said, I find this news unfortunate. I was definitely intrigued with the possibility of GPH redeeming itself in a couple years.

Back