Bad films that are actually good

And another [and forgotten] one with "creepy-creepy" paranoic atmosphere:

Here comes: SCREAMERS

screamers2.jpg

Galaxy of Terror, that puts a name to the film that's haunted my memory since childhood. I remember by Parents renting the VHS and I got to watch a bit of it before they decided it was too scary for me and sent me to bed. I thought I'd never find out what it was called because I only had a vague memory of it.

The thing that makes ST bearable to me is that it is a satire of the US way of life, especially their attitude to war, it's not meant to be a serious action film. Unfortunately I don't think anybody noticed, especially most of the cast.

Also, Repoman is excellent.

Saturn 3 was OK. The robot wasn't really dreadful though, his "teacher" was the better robot^^ - well played.

I had a hard time getting hold of Ganheddo.

Dark side of the moon annoyed the heck out of me, couldn't watch it.

Duude! Galaxy of Terror totally made my day. Nice shock moments and decent splatter. Has it's weird moments and made me LOL a few times, but I will recommend that one no doubt.

The Aeon Flux live-action film. I found it entertaining- plot was just alright, though.

I've never seen Galaxy Of Terror, but I do know that Sid Haig is in it. He's Captain Spaulding in House Of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects!

If I can find a dvd, I'll get it.

I got Darkstar on dvd recently. :)

Starship Troopers 2 was about a new kind of bug that could take over people's minds. A group of soldiers are stuck in a small base, not able to trust each other. It had no characters from the first movie.

ST1 had a $105million budget, ST2 was $7million.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIANjJwsDuo

ST3 brought back Rico and also added in the long awaited power armour. Sadly, the power armour was laughably crap and barely used.

There's also a 4th movie coming out this year: Starship Troopers Invasion. It's a cg animated movie by Shinji Aramaki (Director of Appleseed, Appleseed Ex Machina, Gasaraki, designer (mainly mechanical design) for Bubblegum Crisis, Astroboy, Full Metal Alchemist, Genesis Climber Mospeada and one of the Naruto movies).

It looks cool, I'm going to keep my hopes up. Apparently it's a direct sequel to the first movie, ignoring ST2 and ST3.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ObDxkBtBHso?feature=oembed

^ The Bubblegum Crisis OVAs are very much to my liking. Lots of creepy badass mechs - "Boomers" - there :)

If Shinji Aramaki doesn't do justice to power armour combat, I don't know who could. :)

Screamers was pretty cool. More so when half way through I realised I'd read the short story it was based on.

Screamers 2 wasn't as good though.

Another classic crap but good movie: Battle Beyond The Stars. Even as a kid I knew it wasn't that good, but I liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/B-YZ8WOU1-w?feature=oembed
Really really stupid, but cool.

I like the Sci-Fi Channel original movies like Earthstorm

517DTkBm4HL._SX500_.jpg

and Ba'al: The Storm God.

Baal--The-Storm-God-2008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this thread.

Some guiltless favorites:

The Thing 1982(actually not a remake of the 1951 classic, but a faithful adaption of the source material: "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell).

Deep Rising(1998)

Abominable(2006)

Dog Soldiers(2002)

Prophecy(1979)

Fright Night(1985)

Don't be afraid of the Dark(1973 and 2011 versions). The Kim Darby version still scares me today.

Godzilla Movies(except the Matthew Broderick one)

Team Jacob all the way, Sony. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back