Bad films that are actually good

Here's another one for you consideration. Lowly rated, but heck I love it: Virus

I watched it 2 times already in just one week [2 weeks ago]. Its not perfect, but has an atmosphere that counts, and still, should be rated higher, even if plot isnt top notch

*hint hint* if you like biomechanical robots: "GunHed - Robot war" and "Saturn 3"

THere was an excellent, poorly rated and really forgotten gem that i still love:

OutlandPoster.jpg

OutLand with very nice plot starring Sean Connery. It has excellent claustrofobic atmosphere, almost like in the thing.

In the distant future, a police marshal stationed at a remote mining colony on the Jupiter moon of Io uncovers a drug-smuggling conspiracy, and gets no help from the populace when he later finds himself marked for murder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually really liked both Superman Returns and Judge Dredd. Not really sure why but I found Superman plenty entertaining and I really found Judge Dredd incredibly visually pleasing to watch. I am also a fan of the Star Wars prequels and the Matrix sequels. Ah well, haters gonna hate!

I really enjoyed Judge Dread (perhaps because I don't follow the comics) - it was very cheesy and didn;t take itself too seriously, but I like that. Perhaps true fans wanted something a bit darker, more gritty. Dunno, but I liked it.

I hated Superman Returns though.

I thought Spider Man 3 was good.

But here's one I definitely like that was somewhat panned: Priest. I thought it looked stupid at first, like some faith story or exorcism crap, but then it got to the vampires and the first fight scene... it was just so awesome,the priest starts saying prayers and crap... and then FUCKING SURIKENS COME OUT OF THE BIBLE! Best. Scene. Ever. The movie kind of made me think of Naruto.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Spider Man 3 was good.

I don't even know who you are anymore...

Seriously.. I ejected it from the DVD player after 30 minutes and threw it acrossed the room..

I don't even know who you are anymore...

Seriously.. I ejected it from the DVD player after 30 minutes and threw it acrossed the room..

You knew who I am previously? :p

On a more serious note, is that a literal story or just figurative? Because if it's literal and you didn't even finish watching it, I don't see how you can judge it fairly. ;)

Starship Troopers is a terrible film, but I can't help watching it every time it's on. If you judge it as purely entertainment, then it does the job.

Mind you, having Denise Richards in it is no bad thing...

On a more serious note, is that a literal story or just figurative? Because if it's literal and you didn't even finish watching it, I don't see how you can judge it fairly.

Literally.. no I didn't need to see any more.. If the ending was really fantastic, It wouldn't of saved it in my mind.

Dead Heat: Me and my brother must have watched it 100 times. It's terrible but in a good way, the main character is called Roger Mortis for flips sake!

Hard ticket to hawaii: Seriously bad film but it's worth watching this with some mates because you will be laughing your ass off.

Robot Jox: Another of my childhood favourites, really quite poor but it's got a certain charm "CRASH AND BURN!"

Bram Stoker's Dracula: always gets panned and my girlfriend thinks it's shit, but I really like it despite Winona Ryder and Keanu's terrible accent ("most good"). I think Gary Oldman's Dracula is fantastic, especially the initial Transylvanian bum-head.

Salute of the Jugger: Cool Rutger Hauer film set in a post-apocalyptic future where teams of "Juggers" wander the wastes to play a brutal, dog's skull based sports game against each other.

I dunno about anyone else but I find that cheapo b-movies tend to have the most interesting characters and plots.

Another B-Movie with really creepy atomsphere. Dont mind cheap effects execution, this movie is really good just because the atmosphere is soo creepy:

The%2BDark%2BSide%2BOf%2BThe%2BMoon.jpg

and with similar ideas but different approach: Galaxy Of Terror [young James Cameron, steps in here :) ]

368px-Galaxy_of_terror.jpg

Sci-Fi with really few great ideas, that will twist your mind. Execution of movie after all these years is good. Of course there are tons of creepy atmosphere..

SONY, can You please add something from You, why you choose this moves as "bad movies that You think are good.. [in your opinion]"

Starship Troopers is a terrible film, but I can't help watching it every time it's on. If you judge it as purely entertainment, then it does the job.
Hell yeah. Starship Troopers was the first DVD I bought. A lot of people hate it, and I'll admit it's kind of stupid, but it's still a fun action movie.

Starship Troopers 2 and 3, on the other hand, are bad movies that are actually bad.

I'm a big fan of over the top japanese gore/horror films. The Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police, Helldriver, Hard Revenge Milly Bloody Battle, Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, Story Of Ricky (ok, this is a hong kong movie, but it's similar).

I'm sure most people would consider them pretty bad movies.

I wanted to like Robogeisha as well, but it was a bit too stupid and they went for cgi blood instead of the gallons of fake blood used in The Machine Girl.

I'm really not sure if I want to see Noboru Iguchi's latest movie: Zombie Ass - Toilet Of The Dead. Even I have limits. :)

The Feast series of movies have rated pretty badly, but they are damn funny too. Watch them in the right frame of mind : a family making a gross out movie series for fun, knowing it won't be a block buster (yes, family. a bunch of the actors are related to the director). Oh, and Henry Rollins is in Feast 1. :)

Priest is on my 'to watch' list... hoped it was a bit like Machete in that it would be ridiculous... ridiculously good.

Back