Automatic smiley conversion

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Last edited by a moderator:
^spaces between the parentheses?  ( B )

Hey, how did you do "(B)" without it changing automatically to B) ? It seems we need to use double quote... Not very handy...
I don't know for sure, this forum always tries to be way too clever. I've unchecked the "Enable emoticons?" checkbox in the advanced editor ("More Reply Options" button), but this doesn't seem to always work.

This forum software tends to automatically convert certain strings into emoticons, including: ":mellow:", "<_<", ":)", ":wub:", ":angry:", ":(", ":unsure:", ":wacko:", ":blink:", "-_-", ":rolleyes:", ":huh:", "^_^", ":eek:", ";)", ":p", ":D", ":lol:", "B)", and ":ph34r:".

Some of these are way too clever and have been causing problems in the past, so if this is possible, I suggest that the following changes be made:

Code:
     ->  :dry:
      ->  :smile:
      ->  :sad:
     ->  :sleep:
     ->  :happy:
      ->  :ohmy:
      ->  :wink:
      ->  :tongue:
      ->  :biggrin:
      ->  :cool:

The post before this one was actually the one that started the thread. The ones above it were moved in here by the moderation afterwards, but this accidentally the order.

Well you could, but I would rather see this fixed properly at last, and I know that there is a rather significant number of people who think the same, so...

Personally, I'm not keen on disabling smileys for the standard set like :( , :) and :D (and perhaps others), but would prefer if there was an easy way to escape the codes such that those meaning the literal characters can mark them as such.  But I guess that's more work configuring the boards than just knocking out a few smileys.

I am doing this as a test, but I think there have been a few times where I typed smileys and it kept the characters I typed.  Are there places, such as PM subjects, where these aren't displayed by default?  These, for example: :p :D

Is there a reason we need the little pictures instead of text?  I am fine with both, just wondering.

Well, FWIW, I find that in proportional fonts with kerning, :( and :) are too compact to look like faces and prefer :-( and :).  I guess the argument is newbies might not recognise them as faces at all, and misunderstand them.

Then maybe we should stop using acronyms and stuff too.  Even people with decades of experience have trouble with those sometimes.

Yesterday someone asked me how to do something and I replied while we walked down the hall.  Amongst the stack of acronyms I tossed out about things he should look into was one that got mixed up while speaking since 3 of the 4 letters were the same.  When I went back and talked to him later I tried to clear it up he told me he knew what I meant.  There are other times when I, or people I know who have been working in the IT field for 30+ years, will come across an acronym and none of us know what it means off the top of our heads.  Other times an uncommon one is given but not initially defined, and the context does not verify whatever it is assumed to be until much later (I ran into this with FC a few weeks ago).

...could some moderator find out whether this change could be implemented or not, and if yes, how? I've tried to find information at Invision Power's IP.Boards website, but couldn't find detailed information about this, and I won't be able to get support from them since I'm not one of their customers.

Back