Are You Likely To Mod Your Pandora

How strong is the need to mod in you.

• I will mod within the first year.

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • I may mod in the first year.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • I'll mod once it's out of warrenty.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I would apply someone elses mod if cool enough.

Votes: 21 16.9%
  • No plans to mod yet. Not ruled out.

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Would never mod.

Votes: 16 12.9%

• Total voters

I'll prolly put some LEDs on the extra solder pads & then code a little file to make my panda light up like on nightrider.

Change the fugly case. No offense to the designers or people who OK'd it.

I'd like to mod some analouge shouldwrs for dreamcast (Daytona) emulation. But I gather that's not possible.

Easy stuff:
Heatspreader on OMAP.

Long time goal:
Total conversion into a tablet with detachable gaming controls. Ideally made of stainless steel, depends on creative mood and time, though.

I wanted to make a swivel hinge design at first and even collected the parts, but it's not feasible. Too many wires for the LCD.

I'd like to have a rotatable screen, so you can lay its screen flat over the keyboard.

I would like to have a keyboard that lights up, but I have no idea on how to mod.

archue said:
I'd like to have a rotatable screen, so you can lay its screen flat over the keyboard.
The LCD ribbon has got a lot of wires, it really isn't feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I would apply someone elses mod if cool enough"

for me translates to:

"...the extra R2-L2 shoulder buttons for PS1 games"

worzyl said:
"I would apply someone elses mod if cool enough"

for me translates to:

"...the extra R2-L2 shoulder buttons for PS1 games"
And as the Z button on the N64. For stuff like SNES and GBA I'd probably just set them as turbo buttons (if the emulator supports that).

Straight to the laser cutter to put all my contact details on it in case it gets lost or stolen, plus or minus a bit of illustration to reflect my torpor state of mind, perhaps ..

probably a laser etch and some LED changes, if there's room I'll internalize either a GPS chip(not very likely) or a 3g chip(possible).

Hopefully they left some I2C ports around. There are a couple of GSM/GPRS/GPS chips that work with I2C buses.

mali said:
archue said:
The LCD ribbon has got a lot of wires, it really isn't feasible.

Would it not be easier (if slightly less elegant) to have the hinge tilt the screen all the way back so you have the screen on the top half and the keypad/gaming controlls underneath but switched off in software?

Pleng said:
Would it not be easier (if slightly less elegant) to have the hinge tilt the screen all the way back so you have the screen on the top half and the keypad/gaming controlls underneath but switched off in software?
We already had this discussion ;) I think the thread is still floating around somewhere, I might gravedig it tommorow, got to go now, it's late, bye :)

Even though MWeston has been kind and provided us with pads for extra shoulder buttons and keyboard back lighting, I'm not sure I could bring myself to make irreversible modifications to the pandora case (for the shoulder buttons) and getting hold of a translucent keymat might prove a challenge.

I'm toying with the idea of using my pandora in conjunction with some Arduinos via Zigbee (Xbee in the Arduinos case) so would like to mod in a Zigbee radio but I don't think there will be enough internal space. I think I'll have to settle for a dongle instead, too bad no one makes a Zigbee dongle as small as the bluetooth one I have, I wouldn't mind having it plugged in all the time then.

Geuben said:
Even though MWeston has been kind and provided us with pads for extra shoulder buttons and keyboard back lighting, I'm not sure I could bring myself to make irreversible modifications to the pandora case (for the shoulder buttons) and getting hold of a translucent keymat might prove a challenge.

I'm toying with the idea of using my pandora in conjunction with some Arduinos via Zigbee (Xbee in the Arduinos case) so would like to mod in a Zigbee radio but I don't think there will be enough internal space. I think I'll have to settle for a dongle instead, too bad no one makes a Zigbee dongle as small as the bluetooth one I have, I wouldn't mind having it plugged in all the time then.

Just a question- why would you use zigbee over a BT module? BT->UART modules are just as easy to use. Or is there some application or advantage I'm missing?

Back