Are We Still A Friendly Community ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC posted on May 28 2004 at 06:17 PM said:
Looks like someone is trying to limit users to only run software they have paid for in order to artificially stimulate the commercial market.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal opinion is that flaming is a good/bad thing.

Flaming DOES get ppl to read the sticky's etc. When i was a newbie i didn't use the search function or read the stickies. One day i asked a really stupid question and got flamed by several ppl. This made me think about looking before asking.

Flaming however becomes bad when it is overused on ppl. Flaming is a powerful thing. Many ppl could take offence easily and leave the community or we could stop ppl from buying gp32's if the community is seen as vicous.

I think a good idea would be when you sign up to GP32x, you are told in advance about search function and newbie faq's etc (kind of like a contract that you have to agree to). You are also warned that not using this advice annoy's the community, so be prepared to take a flame if it is nessecary.

I think a good idea would be when you sign up to GP32x, you are told in advance about search function and newbie faq's etc (kind of like a contract that you have to agree to). You are also warned that not using this advice annoy's the community, so be prepared to take a flame if it is nessecary.
There is the same problem as with stickies or FAQ. Nobody reads user agreements :) I will try to write a new user agreement including all FAQ and search button stuff :) but it probably doesn't change nothing ;)

Then reuse the system that was used by old pc-games.

When u log in for the first time ther is a question:

Firts time log in question said:
To log in you have to answer this question:

What will happen to users who ask this question:

"Can I emulate the X-box on my GP32??"

The answer is somewhere in the faq!

Got the point? ;)

Ok. I think this is impossible. Just an idea. :rolleyes:

Then reuse the system that was used by old pc-games.

When u log in for the first time ther is a question:

Firts time log in question said:
To log in you have to answer this question:

What will happen to users who ask this question:

"Can I emulate the X-box on my GP32??"

The answer is somewhere in the faq!

Got the point? ;)

Ok. I think this is impossible. Just an idea. :rolleyes:
Many would get put off as they may think it was a question air and just find a smaller, crapier and easyer to log into forum. even if you do write a new faq, I dout many people will read it, I for one didn't read this one but did try to treat this like I treat any other forum. I think a faq that comes up when loging in would be good as long as its not to long or megalomaniac ( you do what we say ) :)

we still are a nice community :)
cause anyone who flames gets flamed XD

no, seriously.. i myself had a good start in this forum (someone may remember my ssh-port-idea XD)
well, its kinda a real pain to read the faqs or stickys (althought reading the sticky-topic-name is still ok :D) but i still didnt get flamed..
i just got either nice answers or serious reasons why it isnt possible (or a waste of time ^^)
thatswhy i'm triing to keep that up now, i just realised a few days ago that i flamed for no reason :D

and heck, th idea about sending faq via email, its just a waste of time, i mean seriously if any newb would read all that, he's one of those who reads faqs or sticky posts in common..

i rather think writing sth. like "Search is our friend, so use that damn bastard XD" somewhere before starting a new topic or having to write for the first 5 new topics "i have used search before and read the faq" into a textfield whereas its just given as a pic (so nobody can cheat :)) would be way more effective to avoid "lame" questions

remember: flaming is lame and uncool XD

Or when u want to do a new topic, u type it into the bar, and it automatically does a Search for any word over, say, 5 letters, but then once u have finished newb level it doesnt happen n e more

The most annoying thing is when people keep flaming the same remarks at a noob. If someones said he's a stupid prick, he doesn't need to be told again, and again, and again by everyone. Without having a chance to reply.

Flaming sheep who post the same bloody insults are a lot worse than noobs who post the same questions.

Then again ;) :

Sometimes you need to insult someone from all angles from all board members.

...This is fine in the appropriate curcumstance.

I'm sure he may have a similar opinion of u

Posting in a 'Are we still friendly' post with Sam Fishers a Dick, may have the opposite effect

althogh he used to be a bit annoying, but he is better now

kick on i say

football2.jpg

i try to help out people who ask virtualdub questions as that thing is damn hard for newbies to get to grips with, but other times i do like a good flame!

In my opinion, flaming is never particularly a good idea. Usually one sees two types of people flamed:

New individuals who ask what appear to be "stupid" questions.
Individuals who need a lesson in manners as they are convinced of their "l33tn3ss".

In the case of someone being new, many who flame would assume telling them they they are "stupid" or something to the similar effect would get them to think twice before asking a question. This could occur, or more likely, it will simply drive them away. Whether or not the statement was meant to be a personal assault or not, people don't appreciate being called "stupid", or even having it implied.

People have different reasons for asking what seem like "stupid" questions. They may not have a knowledge of how to obtain the information elsewhere, or perhaps they simply want things reiterated. Personally, I am notorious for this, as I like to have things reiterated, sometimes to hear a different perspective, or just to make sure I am clear on something.

If an individual takes the time to pose a query in a considerate way, they certainly do not deserve a hostile response, even if the question has a commonplace answer. If one thinks about it, the flamer often looks more the fool, as they were able to take the time to respond in a hostile manner, when the same time could have been utilized to answer the individual's question in a civil manner instead.

On the other side of the coin, we have the individual who requires a lesson in manners. "GIV M3 ROMZZZ PLZZZZZZZ" is an example of this. Perhaps they were dropped on their head as a child, or maybe just the result of pee in the gene pool, but they annoy just about everyone, even myself (and I try to be tolerant). There are many such types of individuals, but they are almost always rude and selfish. They are often akin to the Trolls one sees on the Newsgroups.

Needless to say, just about everyone wants such individuals to go away, but flaming them can often just provoke them and just lead to them staying and spending their time harassing as many people as they can. Ignoring them tends to yield the best results, as there is little recourse for them without exponentially making an even bigger ass of themselves.

To make a long story short, if you can't say something nice and helpful, it is better to say nothing. In the long run, even if the GP32 community always remains the "underdog", at least we will always have good form. Besides, everyone wants to feel comfortable in a community, and many new people may become helpful contributors to the GP32 scene.

Another wordy post by....

Valeos

You ceratinly make a number of valid points and I do agree that in most cases flaming is unwaranted and childish. However, there are a number of times when I believe that flaming is not as bad as you may believe. I'm mainly referring to individuals who ask rather simple questions with very easy to find answers. In your case, I see no problem when someone asks in a polite manner that they understand the situation but would like someone to reiterate what they have believe to be true (as seen by your recent thread).

What I cannot tollerate, however, are those that ask ridiculous questions in a rude manner. Telling someone to use the search function is a poor response though. Provide at least a curt answer and then tell the bastard to search :p. This community is indeed a friendly one, as long as one does not ask in a rude manner or a reeeeeally stupid question. For nistance, i was trully prepared to flame someone the other day for what I believed to be a damn stupid question (for the sake of that new users credibility I will not mention the thread), and I even started typing- but I held back.

Hence, overall I trully do agree with your response- if you have nothing good to say, or rather provide, just dont say it. The problem with that though is the odds that that person will continually post idiodic questions, which is a nuisance to us all. I guess thats when you can flame em'! :D

Seriously though, this is one of the friendliest forums I've been to and there are only a handful of individuals who flame at all.

That is what I like to see some nice polite, informed discussion on the matter -- because there IS a growing problem. You two above are spot on with your comments.
To add to the conversation, I personally hate the 'use google' or 'use the search function' responses that we have being getting a lot of, if every question from now on that has been asked previously gets a 'use search function' response, then the using the search function will only yield more 'use the search function' responses.

Saying "use the search button" is pointless in many cases; nothing comes up for GBA due to the four letter min.

We can't blame people here for asking questions about the GBA emu's; it's all so confusing.

I still don't know if ANY can emulate commercial games AT ANY speed. I've been told so many different things; and after lurking around these forums for about a year AND writing a fanzine I'm still at a loss.

What hope does someone new have?

If an individual takes the time to pose a query in a considerate way, they certainly do not deserve a hostile response, even if the question has a commonplace answer.
So what you're saying is: as long as someone posts a thread about something, they deserve to get a nice response. I disagree. Spam, poorly-worded or unclear questions, l33tness, requests for ROM links, and oft-repeated questions instill anger and annoyance in all forum members and it is inevitable that some will respond appropriately. While newbies who don't know their question is an old one don't deserve it, I think many others do, as all these useless threads simply spam up the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back