Apple Ipad 2

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
This was released a couple of days ago...Apparently it's twice as fast as iPad 1 (dual core with HDMI mirror tech)?

A must get?

ipad2.png

page5_blog_entry21-ipad-2.png

http://www.techtip.org/difference-between-ipad-1-and-ipad-2/

This might be the first dual high-volume device that has dual-Cortex-A9s with NEON. Not that that means anything to most people. I'm also assuming the NEON part, but it's pretty safe that it'd not want to sacrifice that compatibility with previous iOS software.

I was kind of waiting for something, but I'll probably go cheaper.. and I don't really like the prospect of developing for iOS, since it requires a Mac and usage of ObjC. Blackberry Playbook will be out soon and that'll have OMAP4, but I guess it's worth holding out for something with a keyboard.

One thing's for certain, for the first time Apple has a product that totally destroys the competition in GPU capabilities. It's no contest, this makes the Tegra 2 and SGX540 offerings everyone else will have for the next half a year look like junk when it comes to games.

Exophase said:
I don't really like the prospect of developing for iOS, since it requires a Mac and usage of ObjC.

You don't have to use ObjC. You could use C/C++ or .. heck .. even Lua. If you wanted to.

(And I know plenty of people dev'ing for iOS using a VM Hackintosh ..)

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
Exophase said:
I don't really like the prospect of developing for iOS, since it requires a Mac and usage of ObjC.

You don't have to use ObjC. You could use C/C++ or .. heck .. even Lua. If you wanted to.

Partially right. The official and supported platform for developing is XCode on MacOS only. And assuming you want at least a GUI bridge in your app you will need a small bit of ObjC. Bringing interpreted languages like Lua into play i have to disappoint you. Unless you aim for the inofficial stores (cydia & co) you will have a hard time getting your submission accepted. This is not Android with its APKs floating everywhere ;)

Wikipedia

Partially right. The official and supported platform for developing is XCode on MacOS only. And assuming you want at least a GUI bridge in your app you will need a small bit of ObjC.

I have a C++ app for iPhone that is exactly 7 lines of Obj-C code, and the rest (7000 lines) is all C++. So :p !! :)

Bringing interpreted languages like Lua into play i have to disappoint you. Unless you aim for the inofficial stores (cydia & co) you will have a hard time getting your submission accepted. This is not Android with its APKs floating everywhere ;)

Dum de dum de doo ..

torpor said:

I know that you don't have to use ObjC exclusively, but it still requires some bridge code in ObjC (or to pull it in from some library, many of which are costly) and I don't really like that.

When I say "needs a Mac" I guess I should have said "needs MacOS." I'm not interested in obtaining the OS somehow, and I really don't want to have to use it to develop for something. In the end there are more dev friendly platforms if I just want to get access to the hardware.

Exophase said:
I know that you don't have to use ObjC exclusively, but it still requires some bridge code in ObjC (or to pull it in from some library, many of which are costly) and I don't really like that.

I actually like Objective-C, but only because I've been using it for a while now. Before I started using it, I was pretty anti-ObjC ("wtf, another NIH language, no thanks!"), but then I learned about toll-free bridging and I got sucked into it. I think protocols and delegates are awesome! ;) Not that you *need* to know such things, though, to write an iOS app if you still want to use something more familiar ..

When I say "needs a Mac" I guess I should have said "needs MacOS." I'm not interested in obtaining the OS somehow, and I really don't want to have to use it to develop for something. In the end there are more dev friendly platforms if I just want to get access to the hardware.

Totally .. fair enough.

I'm mainly a C (and ASM) programmer. I reserve the right to acknowledge most languages are better than what I use while refusing to actually use them ;)

I won't be buying the Apple iPad 2 as I've lost the urge in getting cool gadgets and recently updated my home network to gigabit. I know, what took me so long!
tongue.gif

yellowpin said:
This was released a couple of days ago...Apparently it's twice as fast as iPad 1 (dual core with HDMI mirror tech)?

A must get?

a must get? why?
i don't think so.
and , i want to tell you that i could not see the picture you showed here.
what's wrong?

It's awesome. That is all.

Showing 50 random friends of 1337 (View all)

Exophase said:
torpor said:

According to a book I read, you still need a real Mac to have the apps signed though?

It also has to be an Intel Mac, so you can't use one of the older ones, either.

I`m just trying to workout what the real point of the iPad is ?.
I mean apart from funding Steve Jobs personal bank account, The
fact that it is basically a giant iPhone with the phone ripped
out, Locked down by Apple, Too big to fit in a pocket, Can`t
make normal phone calls with it, Bigger or as big as most
netbooks, Costs as much as a half decent laptop, And apparently
looks cool displayed on a coffee table ?.

Oh, And now they've made it faster. :blink:

Why not just get an Android device or netbook and put Linux on it ?.

Dons fanboy retardant suit, Just in case. :D

Trooper

trooper said:
The intuitive touch interface and single process nature make it an ideal candidate for people that don't "get" computers. Due to clever marketing, this happens to encompass a lot of Mac users. Not all, but a sufficiently large percentage that they're noticeable.
The same way that the Wii has garnered a large number of non-gamers.

Ahh!!!, I see. So it`s an idiots gateway to the internet, I get it now.
So Steve Jobs is making money for the unfortunate ?, Isn`t that immoral ?.

People, You can stop choking now, I was kidding about what i said above. :)

So i guess it`s like having a fridge (a very nice looking one, I might add,
With drinks cooler, Ice crusher and aluminium clad corners), Bolted to a
Ferrari chassis, With a 6 litre engine strapped on ?.

Mmmmmmm, Looks like the iPad is definitely NOT for me then. :rolleyes:

Trooper

trooper said:
Trooper

It kind of doesn't have much of a use. It's way too locked down to be useful for most things (no SD support, no removable mass storage at all, no shared space for files for multiple applications unless you use dropbox), but the alternatives (badly designed Android tablets) are currently, much, much worse to use.

At work, we use them as replacements for paper, in waterproof cases, to enter information into spreadsheets, as a sort of high functioning, much cheaper ruggedised tablet. The fact the machine has a good 10 hours of battery life makes it perfect for this. However, this is just about the only thing the iPad is any good for, and even this is marred by Apple's relentless attempts to lock down the thing to the point of uselessness. Even the SD adapter you can buy can stupidly only be used with the Photo app.

I got one for the following reasons:

a.) Browsing on the couch
b.) Play the 20 or so games that work well on the device
c.) use as a long lasting video playing device
d.) iMovie is actually sick on it

I love Apple and everything they do so no it is not a fad and in fact it is already so perfect that it will never change
Still too pricey for now. Hoping prices come down soon. 

Back